Page 382 of 422 FirstFirst ... 282332372378379380381382383384385386392 ... LastLast
Results 5,716 to 5,730 of 6322

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Nope. I and multiple people have made specific points. You have ignored them. You are not interested in actual discussion. And I’m asking you AGAIN to stop posting at me unless you want to address the points that have been repeatedly raised by multiple posters across multiple iterations of this forum over the years.

You ‘just asking for specifics’ is one of those games.

So, no. I’m not playing your stupid games.
    If you'd like me to address a point, you could just ask.

If you find it hard being specific, it seems likely your objection is exaggerated, that I'm not as bad as you think and you got the wrong impression somewhere along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

Too many Republicans are playing footsie with Nazis and white supremacists -- even re-electing one as their leader.

In reality there has been frequent criticism against "conservatives" who engage in anti-semitism -- which you have likewise frequently ignored.

Now that conservatives believe they can use it to attack Democrats however suddenly it is a key issue for politically hypocritical Republicans.

Nearly everyone agrees that Hamas should be eliminated -- what you are ignoring is that innocent civilians should not have to die in the process.

And if you are ignoring the thousands of innocent lives that are lost as a result of Netanyahu's actions then it only confirms that you lack empathy for any view, or life, that is not your own.
    I'm well aware of the criticism of conservative anti-semites.

My point is that you should want people on your side to act the same way you want people on the other side to act. The supporters of Palestine should condemn the antisemites among them to the same extent you expect supporters of Republicans to condemn the antisemites among them.

Because of Hamas' willingness to put civilians in their care in danger, as part of their strategy, it seems impossible to eliminate Hamas without civilian casualties, just as it was impossible to eliminate Nazi Germany without civilian casualties. I don't see any indication any other country would be doing less faced with a similar fact pattern.

That is highly debateable -- depending on what topic is being addressed.

It's fair to say that if you really wanted to discuss these issues then you would not keep baselessly claiming that others need to "politely" ask you to address them directly.

You would just address the topic (as is normal) and then move on to the next one -- if that were the goal.
    If someone expects me to directly address something, they should politely ask. One way to think about this is ynder what circumstances can someone expect you or any other poster here to respond to specific points.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    "The "immediate requirement" is to address the root of the problem so that it doesn't continue to manifest in Republican candidates" - yes, and that was my question to you some posts ago: how do you propose to do that, what's the plan? Because whatever has been done until now doesn't seem like it's working.
    Recent election results show the “plan” is already working.

People don’t need to explain these things to you — plenty of resources have already been provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    My point is that you should want people on your side to act the same way you want people on the other side to act.
    By repeatedly saying the same thing over and over again instead of actually addressing the issues at hand?

Or like the numerous "conservative" racists who use racial slurs when responding to online opinions and make monkey chants when addressing black protestors?

Or the numerous Republican legilators who attack black voting rights and LGBT identity to win conservative votes and disenfranchise American citizens?

Or the ones waving swastikas in cities all over America?

If anything you should be glad that most on this forum do not "act the same way" as many of your conservative compatriots -- regardless of whether you address that behavior or otherwise.

Likewise just because civilian casualties are part of war does not mean you should overlook them -- much less encourage or enable them.

Just one more reminder that the problem isn't Trump.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-09-2024 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Yet black women almost in unison votes in a way that benefits them and other disadvantaged communities, while white guys keep voting for the party cutting billionaire's taxes.
    I don't understand how this follows from my post.

The actions of the majority of white male Americans in the past few elections show that they do not understand politics as well as black women do.

Wanna fix your country? Vote like a black woman.
    Understanding politics and understanding how the government works are two different things. I hear politically involved people complain about Chuck Schumer when they don't like a state policy more often than I'd like.
    Last edited by Tuck; 05-09-2024 at 07:17 AM.

I'm sure they've been thinking about it from that electoral perspective. The same regarding Marco Rubio, who has the advantage of being fluent in Spanish.

In the end, I think he's just gonna pick JD Vance, which... err... derrr... urrrr.... yeah
    The veepstakes is odd.

My impression was that Trump was going to go with a conservative young mom- Katie Britt, Elsie Stefanik or Sarah Huckabee Sanders. But they've disappeared from the conversation. I do still think this may be the likeliest outcome.

Rubio seems like a decent unity choice. The main problem is that he's from Trump's home state, although I wonder if Trump's purported unwillingness to change his residency back is real or just speculation.

Tim Scott would be similar to Rubio, though not as gifted a campaigner. It would be a safe, diverse choice. Republicans might try to bait Democrats into saying racist things. For example, if a staffer for a Democrat says that he's an oreo.

Governor Doug Burgum of North Dakota has been mentioned, as a bland, safe choice.

Noem's obviously out.

JD Vance is really close to Donald Trump Jr, and gives actual policy suggestions based on Trump's nonsense ideas. I hope it's not him, because he would be the worst President. He seems to have worse instincts than Trump on foreign policy, as well as significantly greater discipline and understanding of the levers of power, in addition to being inexperienced. He seems he'll be able to make bad decisions, and carry it all out.

Tulsi Gabbard is also a possibility. It would be part of an effort to paint Democrats as crazy, to show that former Democrats are with Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I wonder what Trump would have decided if he had been president at this moment… “Let them fight” or “we keep our weapons for the defence of our country”?

Israel could decide to go very fast, a “blitz invasion”… It seems not to care about his relationships with his allies.
    Trump would probably think Israel isn't aggressive enough.

The actions of the majority of white male Americans in the past few elections show that they do not understand politics as well as black women do.

Wanna fix your country? Vote like a black woman.
    I think this is an example of people thinking a civics test will get the outcomes they want.

The power to make answering civics questions mandatory to be able to vote is very ripe for abuse. We could all imagine racist administrators figuring out questions that would weed out African American women or favor white men who support them.

It's interesting to see if there are any tests about civics knowledge across demographics. Are black women more likely to be able to name a Supreme Court justice than white men are? A horrifying statistic is that a majority of Americans couldn't name any Supreme Court justice.

It would be very easy to bias a test. For example, you could ask questions more relevant to particular communities (IE- asking about mayors and city councils if you want to count urban voters more) or that some sides may not want to address (IE- asking for a description of originalism as a way to exclude any liberal who thinks it doesn't apply to amendments.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Recent election results show the “plan” is already working.

People don’t need to explain these things to you — plenty of resources have already been provided.
    My friend, I wasn't asking to put you on the spot or anything. I was just asking what's actually being done to revert/ improve the situation? From where I'm standing, it looks that the US is probably more polarized than ever - do you disagree? And on things like abortion, you've gone back 50 years all of a sudden in various states.

I'm asking in good faith. In one post you say:
    "if anything you should be listening and learning from those with experience"

In the next post you say:
    "People don’t need to explain these things to you — plenty of resources have already been provided"

So, what am I learning here? Please send me links, whatever.
    Last edited by hyped78; 05-09-2024 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Yes, the thought of this would make many conservatives stay home on Election day. Not that I think Trump would ever seriously consider a black VP as a running mate, but I wonder if doing so would draw in more black voters than the number of good ol' boys that it would scare away.
    Very few racists don't make exceptions for "the good ones".

Ultimate Member

My friend, I wasn't asking to put you on the spot or anything. I was just asking what's actually being done to revert/ improve the situation? From where I'm standing, it looks that the US is probably more polarized than ever - do you disagree?

I'm asking in good faith. In one post you say:
    "if anything you should be listening and learning from those with experience"

In the next post you say:
    "People don’t need to explain these things to you — plenty of resources have already been provided"

So, what am I learning here?
    That you should go back and watch the information provided as it directly addresses much of what you are asking.

There is no quick solution to an ongoing problem -- best just to identify the root issues and adapt with them as they evolve.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Any theories why Rick Scott is in the audience at the Trump Business Records Fraud Trial today?
    Last edited by CaptainEurope; 05-09-2024 at 07:44 AM.

Ultimate Member

It would be very easy to bias a test. For example, you could ask questions more relevant to particular communities (IE- asking about mayors and city councils if you want to count urban voters more) or that some sides may not want to address (IE- asking for a description of originalism as a way to exclude any liberal who thinks it doesn't apply to amendments.)

Or you could just skip the test and do it directly via legislation.

Like Republicans.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-09-2024 at 07:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Big swing from previous polls:

President Joe Biden leads former President Donald Trump 50 – 44 percent in a head-to-head matchup,
    according to a Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pea-ack) University poll of registered voters in Wisconsin released today.

Astonishing Member

Majority of Americans feel that the economy is in the crapper. Good thing Biden is keeping Amtrak running though.

In a CNN poll conducted by SSRS and released in late April, a majority of Americans, 70%, said economic conditions in the US were poor, and there was similarly dismal approval of Biden’s handling of the economy. On the subject of personal finances, CNN’s polling director Jennifer Agiesta wrote:

Americans’ perceptions of their own finances also remain negative, with 53% saying they are dissatisfied with their personal financial situation while 47% are satisfied. Dissatisfaction is starkly prevalent among those with lower incomes (67% dissatisfied in households with annual incomes lower than $50,000), people of color (64% say they are dissatisfied) and younger Americans (61% of those younger than 45 say they are dissatisfied).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I understand the importance of the current conflict in Gaza. And I understand the concern of many. But Gaza will be very far from the biggest issue in the election. If there is a stable cease fire by the end of summer, it will not be a factor.
    I remember when people claimed the withdrawal from Afghanistan would end Biden's Presidency.
    Certainly Biden's handling of foreign policy is superior to that of the Republican alternative.

Saving civilian lives should be a priority and it's good to see that Biden understands that basic principle.

Warmongering is a Republican habit -- that Trump avoided what Bush abused to no end just further proves that Trump can't be blamed for all of the Republican party's problems, whether domestic or abroad.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-09-2024 at 08:34 AM.

The veepstakes is odd.

My impression was that Trump was going to go with a conservative young mom- Katie Britt, Elsie Stefanik or Sarah Huckabee Sanders. But they've disappeared from the conversation. I do still think this may be the likeliest outcome.

Rubio seems like a decent unity choice. The main problem is that he's from Trump's home state, although I wonder if Trump's purported unwillingness to change his residency back is real or just speculation.

Tim Scott would be similar to Rubio, though not as gifted a campaigner. It would be a safe, diverse choice. Republicans might try to bait Democrats into saying racist things. For example, if a staffer for a Democrat says that he's an oreo.

Governor Doug Burgum of North Dakota has been mentioned, as a bland, safe choice.

Noem's obviously out.

JD Vance is really close to Donald Trump Jr, and gives actual policy suggestions based on Trump's nonsense ideas. I hope it's not him, because he would be the worst President. He seems to have worse instincts than Trump on foreign policy, as well as significantly greater discipline and understanding of the levers of power, in addition to being inexperienced. He seems he'll be able to make bad decisions, and carry it all out.

Tulsi Gabbard is also a possibility. It would be part of an effort to paint Democrats as crazy, to show that former Democrats are with Trump.

Trump would probably think Israel isn't aggressive enough.

I think this is an example of people thinking a civics test will get the outcomes they want.

The power to make answering civics questions mandatory to be able to vote is very ripe for abuse. We could all imagine racist administrators figuring out questions that would weed out African American women or favor white men who support them.

It's interesting to see if there are any tests about civics knowledge across demographics. Are black women more likely to be able to name a Supreme Court justice than white men are? A horrifying statistic is that a majority of Americans couldn't name any Supreme Court justice.

As crazy as Trump can be, I still think he might consider naming his daughter as his VP. After Pence, I doubt he would trust anyone else.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Big swing from previous polls:
    Saw that too. It's a VERY positive swing from previous polls AND it's clearly outside the margin of error. The risk I see there are the results when factoring in the 3rd party candidates...

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Majority of Americans feel that the economy is in the crapper. Good thing Biden is keeping Amtrak running though.
    There is a mismatch between consumer sentiment and macroeconomic data. Or, rather, there is a time lag (which there always is, historically in the US; time lag between perception and reality and it goes both ways, similar to how e.g. labor market figures have a time lag vs expansionary fiscal and/or monetary policy) but there are signs that consumer sentiment is improving/ lag is shrinking.

There are a couple of other potential explanations:
    1) Inequality, as measured by the Gini coefficient, is still high (but I think it has marginally improved, I can search for data on that)
    2) Constantly negative news cycles - problems sell, economic improvements don't (unlike inequality, this is very hard to measure/ check)

If you're coming at this with an open mind, please take a look at this, this is sourced from official data and looks at inflation % and wage % growth rates, using as base February 2020:
    222.jpg

And this is a similar data series but using March 2023 as base:
    333.jpg

CPI is based on a basket of products and services that, while updated over time, stays mostly stable from a consumer demand POV, and includes housing rental prices, cars, gas, food and other stuff.

If you are feeling worse off vs. a while ago, that is unfortunate, but you are the unfortunate exception...
    Last edited by hyped78; 05-09-2024 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Are you arguing that the economy is bad or that many think it is despite the reality?
    Tell me where Biden is responsible and has not done a great deal to help the economy recover from Covid and Trump.
    I understand the MSM wants to keep pushing the story about how bad things are and barely mentioning the good things.
    That so many actually think things were better 4 years ago just shows they don't have a grasp on reality.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!