Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    At this point I'ma take a page out of MoS book and say, I would sacrifice 10,000 Wakandan redshirts, have WAKANDA and it's pet characters get punked/ killed, for T'Challa to have some huge Boss moments and a return to focus back on him with status quo restored
    It really doesn't have to be an either or. Priest, Hudlin and Liss had T'Challa in boss mode while having a good supporting cast.

You aren't going to have a solo without having a supporting cast and that cast should travel from series to series with the occasional new addition. Everything depends on what the writer does with the main character.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    It really doesn't have to be an either or. Priest, Hudlin and Liss had T'Challa in boss mode while having a good supporting cast.

You aren't going to have a solo without having a supporting cast and that cast should travel from series to series with the occasional new addition. Everything depends on what the writer does with the main character.
    We need a dark reign cleaning house of T'Challas supporting cast at this point otherwise I would normally agree with you. Tosin, omolo, buffalo, the MA, Zenz, changaroo and PM and her assistant can all bite the dust. The supporting cast should be a relatively smart right ground with specific roles to fill, none of which should step into T'Challas lane.

We need a dark reign cleaning house of T'Challas supporting cast at this point otherwise I would normally agree with you. Tosin, omolo, buffalo, the MA, Zenz, changaroo and PM and her assistant can all bite the dust. The supporting cast should be a relatively smart right ground with specific roles to fill, none of which should step into T'Challas lane.
    That was the problem with the last three solos. Characters were introduced to be a mouthpiece for the writers at the expense of T'Challa. All these characters were there to "teach T'Challa a lesson" or point out some "failure of T'Challa" and that's what the whole run was about. And none of these runs gave T'Challa any moments. No feats, no get back, just lectures.

That's why we despise these runs. No T'Challa fan wants to read about that isht.

The only time I can think of when hiring a writer that didn’t like T’Challa paid off was Priest who disappointed when it was offered. But he understood that he needed to make the character cool and completely misunderstood by readers and the MU resulting in an influential character defining run. Meanwhile modern writers treat him like a problematic obstacle in the way of what they really want to write.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    The only time I can think of when hiring a writer that didn’t like T’Challa paid off was Priest who disappointed when it was offered. But he understood that he needed to make the character cool and completely misunderstood by readers and the MU resulting in an influential character defining run. Meanwhile modern writers treat him like a problematic obstacle in the way of what they really want to write.
    These new writers not only dislike T'Challa, they absolutely despise everything he stands for and his entire being. They are just as bad if not worse than some of the worst white writers that have written him.

We need Redjack straight up he had a proven track record, he likes T'Challa, and he Will bring him to new heights

We need Redjack straight up he had a proven track record, he likes T'Challa, and he Will bring him to new heights
    I appreciate you but they'll never let me. I would erase everything since Coates picked up the title and rework the VERY few things, IMO, that are worth keeping.

I'd leave them a backdoor to reset back to Coates if they wanted it but, if the book blew up, that back door wouldn't be worth much.

I have no shot at getting BP.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Maybe Cole Tiger as a reference to what Black Panther was originally gonna be called (Coal Tiger)?
    A bit too on the nose, I think.

Snow leopard would work
    Nah... I guarantee someone would insist on giving him freezing powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    I just don't get the "get rid of Coates stuff"

Even if you didn't like certain things/characters I thought it was more of a execution thing and not a lack of creativity thing for Coates?

The Coates problem for you isn't the same as the Ridley problem for you. Although I'll admit I was optimistic about Tosin at one point.
    It was both. His ideas lacked creativity (Wakandan Civil War? Urban unrest?) and their execution was heavy-handed and cliched. The only positive things people remember from the franchise are all visual (hence, more Stelfreeze or Torres than Coates).

Hell, the most memorable speech in his entire run was written by someone else...

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I appreciate you but they'll never let me. I would erase everything since Coates picked up the title and rework the VERY few things, IMO, that are worth keeping.

I'd leave them a backdoor to reset back to Coates if they wanted it but, if the book blew up, that back door wouldn't be worth much.

I have no shot at getting BP.
    I just don't understand. Maybe you have the insight in it but /, your a fan favorite, you have a proven track record and the numbers to back it up. Fans raved about your KiB and your work on BPQ. Why WOULDN'T marvel hit you up

That was the problem with the last three solos. Characters were introduced to be a mouthpiece for the writers at the expense of T'Challa. All these characters were there to "teach T'Challa a lesson" or point out some "failure of T'Challa" and that's what the whole run was about. And none of these runs gave T'Challa any moments. No feats, no get back, just lectures.

That's why we despise these runs. No T'Challa fan wants to read about that isht.
    In hindsight, it really must be asked, who on Galactus's grape flavored earth were these runs for? Long time BP fans? Nope. New fans who saw the movies first? Probably, if they're new comic readers in general, those poor souls don't know any better. The Black Excellence/Blerd crowd? This is the more likely answer, but these folks live on social media, they don't buy comics, and they certainly don't read them, unless they're taking panels for discourse, or watching 3 hour video essays about them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    In hindsight, it really must be asked, who on Galactus's grape flavored earth were these runs for? Long time BP fans? Nope. New fans who saw the movies first? Probably, if they're new comic readers in general, those poor souls don't know any better. The Black Excellence/Blerd crowd? This is the more likely answer, but these folks live on social media, they don't buy comics, and they certainly don't read them, unless they're taking panels for discourse, or watching 3 hour video essays about them.
    Don't forget the other group that acts like T'Challa had nothing until SHE showed up and somehow he OWES her for his success.

All I know is sales stayed the same after a certain event and only went up in Hudlin's run with Avengers and subbing for Fantastic Four took place.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Don't forget the other group that acts like T'Challa had nothing until SHE showed up and somehow he OWES her for his success.

All I know is sales stayed the same after a certain event and only went up in Hudlin's run with Avengers and subbing for Fantastic Four took place.
    Whats said is how before Black Panther was a reliable midcard success. Sure he wasn't pulling Spider-Man or Wolverine numbers, but his ongoings would make it past the 20 issue mark and last a decently long time like other B-Tiers like Iron Fist and Daredevil.

Meanwhile now Ridley had his book slammed at issue 15 and Eve's book canned at 10 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Just a reminder:

It's true Priest didn't care for the character. But it's also true that (unlike every BP author since Secret Wars) he was a professional comic book writer who had been working in the industry for quite literally fifteen years. He didn't let his personal feelings about BP get in the way... instead, he tried his damnedest to MAKE the book interesting.

He did the job.

That's why I said a dark reign style purging is needed. No one cares about these characters other than the writers

Incredible Member

.... all of this really makes me appreciate Youneek Studios and other independents even more.

It's just superhero comics without the BS and agenda.

I found myself reading The Oloris and EXO comics and , while not perfect, i know what i'm getting.

EXO shoots robot cannon fodder and beats the villain without a lecture.

That's it.

I pray that company doesn't pivot from their current direction.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    .... all of this really makes me appreciate Youneek Studios and other independents even more.

It's just superhero comics without the BS and agenda.

I found myself reading The Oloris and EXO comics and , while not perfect, i know what i'm getting.

EXO shoots robot cannon fodder and beats the villain without a lecture.

That's it.

I pray that company doesn't pivot from their current direction.
    EXO is pretty cool .