Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gym uniforms .

So I guess her hair turned white when her Mutant powers kicked in?

I still respect the intention and creativity of this series but it really feels like it's own thing and universe rather being a legit Ultimate X-Men book set in the Ultimate Universe.

That's Japanese Cyke and Molly to the side?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Gym uniforms .

So I guess her hair turned white when her Mutant powers kicked in?

I still respect the intention and creativity of this series but it really feels like it's own thing and universe rather being a legit Ultimate X-Men book set in the Ultimate Universe.

That's Japanese Cyke and Molly to the side?
    Yeah I just noticed Mori and Natsu (maybe it’s her?), but I disagree it being not part of the earth 6160. This issue already seems to hammer in it’s connection with Storm and Mei’s existence. I like that it automatically doesn’t go for the “we need to stop the Maker’s council” and is focusing on a new origin for the X-Men

I think people are just being impatient.

Remember, in the original Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncle Ben doesn’t get shot until #5. He doesn’t start doing Superheroics until #6.

I’m sure if that book was coming out today, you all would be complaining that “they should’ve just titled it Ultimate Peter Parker” or something.

But they let the creative team take their time to tell the story, and it became a stone-cold classic.

The third issue of this book isn’t even out yet. Be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

Remember, in the original Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncle Ben doesn’t get shot until #5. He doesn’t start doing Superheroics until #6.

I’m sure if that book was coming out today, you all would be complaining that “they should’ve just titled it Ultimate Peter Parker” or something.

But they let the creative team take their time to tell the story, and it became a stone-cold classic.

Isn’t that the reason it became a classic? Or at least the biggest reason.

So Mei is just going to be a cheap knock-off of Kamala Khan? Except she fangirls over Storm?

No thanks.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

No, it's because this series has nothing to do with X-Men or Ultimate Marvel. It hasn't referenced anything going on in the other Ultimate books. And it has nothing to do with X-Men. It's not that it has no familiar characters. It doesn't even say the word "mutant" in the first two issues. On top of that, the second issue is the same plot as the first. Seriously, it's the same beat-for-beat plot. That's not just slow paced. That's just bad writing.

Also, there's no hint that this comic grasps the larger themes of what it means to be a mutant. It's not just teenagers with superpowers. It's teenagers struggling with being born a certain way, being hated and feared for it, and navigating that world while still trying to do good. And Ultimate X-Men has absolutely none of that. And Momoko has not even demonstrated she understands that.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    No, it's because this series has nothing to do with X-Men or Ultimate Marvel. It hasn't referenced anything going on in the other Ultimate books. And it has nothing to do with X-Men. It's not that it has no familiar characters. It doesn't even say the word "mutant" in the first two issues. On top of that, the second issue is the same plot as the first. Seriously, it's the same beat-for-beat plot. That's not just slow paced. That's just bad writing.

Also, there's no hint that this comic grasps the larger themes of what it means to be a mutant. It's not just teenagers with superpowers. It's teenagers struggling with being born a certain way, being hated and feared for it, and navigating that world while still trying to do good. And Ultimate X-Men has absolutely none of that. And Momoko has not even demonstrated she understands that.
    GM4v79MXcAEqs9g.jpg
    This Universe is very different than the 616. Hi no Kuni (Japan, North and South Korea) is led by the Sun Emperor, Silver Samurai, and Viper as the Harada-Yoshida Alliance. We don't know if the average citizen is aware of the existence of mutants yet. They probably view them as some kind of living gods since most of the one's we're familiar with probably don't exist in this world, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I think that's an interesting place to begin, and see how people react as more of them start to appear. Will they be hated and feared, or viewed as the answer to their prayers when they inevitably rebel against this imperial regime?

In the next issue we're getting Mei's backstory, and we'll see some of what's been going on in Ultimate Black Panther from her perspective.

By issue 5 we know Momoko-sensei is introducing Surge, and I think she might end up having a similar relationship to the Sun Emperor that she did in 616's House of M timeline but we'll have to wait and see.

Either way I'm still excited, and I'm sorry you haven't been enjoying the series so far.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannySurge View Post
    GM4v79MXcAEqs9g.jpg
    This Universe is very different than the 616. Hi no Kuni (Japan, North and South Korea) is led by the Sun Emperor, Silver Samurai, and Viper as the Harada-Yoshida Alliance. We don't know if the average citizen is aware of the existence of mutants yet. They probably view them as some kind of living gods since most of the one's we're familiar with probably don't exist in this world, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I think that's an interesting place to begin, and see how people react as more of them start to appear. Will they be hated and feared, or viewed as the answer to their prayers when they inevitably rebel against this imperial regime?

In the next issue we're getting Mei's backstory, and we'll see some of what's been going on in Ultimate Black Panther from her perspective.

By issue 5 we know Momoko-sensei is introducing Surge, and I think she might end up having a similar relationship to the Sun Emperor that she did in 616's House of M timeline but we'll have to wait and see.

Either way I'm still excited, and I'm sorry you haven't been enjoying the series so far.
    I get that this universe is different. That has been clear since it began in Ultimate Invasion. But every other Ultimate title has managed to build on it in a way that actually works in that it contributes to the larger narrative of Ultimate.

But Ultimate X-Men does none of that.

At no point does it mention Hi no Kuni.

At no point does it mention the Sun Emperor, Silver Samurai, or Viper.

At no point does it mention the Maker, the Maker's Council, or how any events surrounding them have affect the series.

At no point does it mention mutants in any capacity, even indirectly. Both Mei and Hisako's powers might as well be Harry Potter style magic. There's no distinction.

Again, the title of the book is Ultimate X-Men. A key part of X-Men isn't just about mutants. It's about people being born with powers, facing hatred and fear, and having to navigate that hostile world. You don't need Charles Xavier, Wolverine, or a mansion to tell that story. But you do need the actual concept.

And at no point does Ultimate X-Men have any of that.

Seriously, if Momoko wanted to tell an X-Men story that didn't involve mutants, the struggle of mutants, or how mutants exist in this new Ultimate Universe...why the hell even call it Ultimate X-Men?

That is an honest question.

Extraordinary Member

Seriously, if Momoko wanted to tell an X-Men story that didn't involve mutants, the struggle of mutants, or how mutants exist in this new Ultimate Universe...why the hell even call it Ultimate X-Men?

This is what Marvel asked her to do.

Honest question, is anything going to change your mind at this point or are you hoping to convince people to change theirs? Someone says perhaps to be patient and you just say no, you want everything in the first two issues to meet your expectations even though we are getting an obvious change in story beats with this issue that will show Mei's origin which will explore her wondering what she is (no one knows what a mutant is) and we know she is aware of Storm so it is touching on the broader universe. It is going to be slower than you want and I do not think anyone is (genuinely) denying that.

Maybe issue 5 will get to the point and things pick up from there, or maybe not, no one knows but it is what it is and obviously the only thing that is going to change anyone's mind is the actual story once we get each issue in our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This is what Marvel asked her to do.
    Are you saying the asked her to purposefully write this comic poorly? And without any reference or connection to anything else going on in the other Ultimate Comics?

If so, that's a dumb request.

Honest question, is anything going to change your mind at this point or are you hoping to convince people to change theirs?
    Absolutely. I'll gladly change my mind if this comic actually turns out great, is well-written, and meaningfully contributes to Marvel, as a whole. Thus far, it's done none of that. In fact, it's done the opposite.

And I know I'm not going to convince anyone. But I think it's worth pointing out the excuses people keep making for this book. It's being praised for being so different, but being different doesn't mean anything if it's poorly written and demonstrates no understanding of mutants, X-Men, and what they actually mean.

Someone says perhaps to be patient and you just say no, you want everything in the first two issues to meet your expectations even though we are getting an obvious change in story beats with this issue that will show Mei's origin which will explore her wondering what she is (no one knows what a mutant is) and we know she is aware of Storm so it is touching on the broader universe. It is going to be slower than you want and I do not think anyone is (genuinely) denying that.
    I have been patient. I genuinely gave this series a chance. I didn't expect it to be the same as other X-Men comics. But it's not that the first two issues failed to meet my expectations. It's that they were just plain bad. Seriously, the second issue just reused the same plot from the first...beat for beat...right down to the part where Hisako stupidly agrees to meet a mysterious figure in an abandoned building. There's going slow, which can work with the right story. But being repetitive is just bad writing. And Maystorm had absolutely no impact on this. All she did was blow some wind at the creature and...that's it.

At the very least, have this shadow figure use a different tactic to lure Hisako in. But no. That would've required effort, creativity, and maybe even some compelling twists.

Maybe issue 5 will get to the point and things pick up from there, or maybe not, no one knows but it is what it is and obviously the only thing that is going to change anyone's mind is the actual story once we get each issue in our hands.
    I agree. The content and substance of the story will change minds. But after just two issues, this series has done nothing other than show Hisako is an idiot who doesn't learn from her mistakes and this unnamed shadow villain is an idiot, as well as lazy, for using the same trick twice.

And in my experience, any plot that relies on both protagonists and antagonists to be complete idiots for more than one issue is not a good sign that this series is going to be competently written, let alone compelling.

Amazing Member

I get that this universe is different. That has been clear since it began in Ultimate Invasion. But every other Ultimate title has managed to build on it in a way that actually works in that it contributes to the larger narrative of Ultimate.

But Ultimate X-Men does none of that.

At no point does it mention Hi no Kuni.

At no point does it mention the Sun Emperor, Silver Samurai, or Viper.

At no point does it mention the Maker, the Maker's Council, or how any events surrounding them have affect the series.

At no point does it mention mutants in any capacity, even indirectly. Both Mei and Hisako's powers might as well be Harry Potter style magic. There's no distinction.

Again, the title of the book is Ultimate X-Men. A key part of X-Men isn't just about mutants. It's about people being born with powers, facing hatred and fear, and having to navigate that hostile world. You don't need Charles Xavier, Wolverine, or a mansion to tell that story. But you do need the actual concept.

And at no point does Ultimate X-Men have any of that.

It has mutants, the press and solicitations say they are, the book is called Ultimate X-Men, in universe has purposely avoided saying the word cause it’s 99% likely Maker suppressed their existence, it features mutant characters, the recap pages mention Hi No Kuni as the setting and Sunfire and Co. as the rulers. Mei’s interest in Storm as seen in #3 preview, her existence shows that connection. We see the affect the Maker has on Hisako and Mei, both having to navigate their powers without the help from the usual mutant leaders, they don’t have to look at the reader and say “Gee, we need to stop the Maker”. Plus we know the series is exploring mutants as a metaphor for adolescence which is still very much X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by juffuj5 View Post
    Yeah I just noticed Mori and Natsu (maybe it’s her?), but I disagree it being not part of the earth 6160. This issue already seems to hammer in it’s connection with Storm and Mei’s existence. I like that it automatically doesn’t go for the “we need to stop the Maker’s council” and is focusing on a new origin for the X-Men

I think it's more just the general vibe and pacing.

The original Ultimate X-Men hit the ground running a bit more by comparison but it was also an entirely different kind of book.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Isn’t that the reason it became a classic? Or at least the biggest reason.
    That’s my point. People need to wait and let the work be completed before deciding that it fails; it may well turn out to be an all-timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's more just the general vibe and pacing.

The original Ultimate X-Men hit the ground running a bit more by comparison but it was also an entirely different kind of book.
    I also find that the comparison to Ultimate Spider-Man is a disingenuous one. Despite the fact that he didn’t officially become a superhero until a couple issues in, it’s not as though nothing relevant was going on. The issues that made up the first arc of the series was essentially a decompressed version of Amazing Fantasy #15 running through the similar beats of it and having Peter learn about his new powers. One could jump in with absolutely no context of interviews or solicits and know exactly what this was leading to from the comic alone. The same can’t really be said about this Ultimate X-Men book in which nothing about the book itself presents that this is building towards an eventual team, much less the X-Men. Given the flow of things, going in blind, this could easily just be a book about the misadventures of a couple of schoolgirls with powers.

“The misadventures of a couple schoolchildren with superpowers” sounds like an accurate description of early X-Men stories to me.