Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Long Live the Legion! Paul Newell's Avatar

Hang on, Booster got his Flight Ring and force field capabilities from Brainiac 5. His ability to travel through time came from Rip Hunter...He originally stole Rip's time sphere from the Space Museum, not a Legion time sphere.
    DRINK!

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newell View Post
    Hang on, Booster got his Flight Ring and force field capabilities from Brainiac 5. His ability to travel through time came from Rip Hunter...He originally stole Rip's time sphere from the Space Museum, not a Legion time sphere.
    A development from long after Booster's debut. And the last version of Rip Hunter I know didn't invent the tech at all, he grew up with it. It all came from Booster. If you buy that it came from Rip- the inventor of time travel in the original continuity- then time travel tech's invention is now a paradox, created by no one.

However, when Booster began, Rip had nothing to do with the lore. There were three technologies recognizable from Brainiac 5: the flight ring, force field, and time sphere. It was never explained how that stuff got there. Rip's inclusion actually made a lot of sense then.

But they took it so far that Hunter now exists outside of time and known history, and it makes more sense than ever that the tech originally came from B5, because really, why would both Rip and Querl invent time machines that are actually hamster balls for humans but don't roll? One of them had to have borrowed the design from the other. Unless the truth is even stranger.

Oh hell, now my head hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    A development from long after Booster's debut. And the last version of Rip Hunter I know didn't invent the tech at all, he grew up with it. It all came from Booster. If you buy that it came from Rip- the inventor of time travel in the original continuity- then time travel tech's invention is now a paradox, created by no one.

However, when Booster began, Rip had nothing to do with the lore. There were three technologies recognizable from Brainiac 5: the flight ring, force field, and time sphere. It was never explained how that stuff got there. Rip's inclusion actually made a lot of sense then.
    It was Rip Hunter's time bubble in Booster's very first appearance. It has always been Rip Hunter's time sphere. It was explained in Booster's first series how Brainy's belt and ring accidentally ended up in the space museum. Issues 8 & 9 I think. This was later retconned in the Booster Gold series right before Flashpoint...Off the top of my head Brainy deliberately left them for Booster to find because they had become friends when they were both older and was told that he would leave the belt and ring where Booster would find them. Paradoxical time loop. As is how Booster got the ability to travel through time. Rip Hunter travels back in time and gives the time travel tech to Booster. Booster becomes Rip's father in the future, giving him the time travel tech. Rip travels back in time...etc. etc...

EDIT: The original way the belt and ring ended up in the Space Museum: Brainiac 5 used them to stop Ronald Reagan from being assassinated in the 20th Century and, from there, they ended up in the museum centuries later. The retcon was never ultimately revealed.
    Last edited by Paul Newell; 06-04-2015 at 04:59 AM.
    DRINK!

Ultimate Member

Ugh. Time travel continuity.

Do you people want Time Trapper?

Because this is how you get Time Trapper!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newell View Post
    It was Rip Hunter's time bubble in Booster's very first appearance. It has always been Rip Hunter's time sphere. It was explained in Booster's first series how Brainy's belt and ring accidentally ended up in the space museum. Issues 8 & 9 I think. This was later retconned in the Booster Gold series right before Flashpoint...Off the top of my head Brainy deliberately left them for Booster to find because they had become friends when they were both older and was told that he would leave the belt and ring where Booster would find them. Paradoxical time loop. As is how Booster got the ability to travel through time. Rip Hunter travels back in time and gives the time travel tech to Booster. Booster becomes Rip's father in the future, giving him the time travel tech. Rip travels back in time...etc. etc...

EDIT: The original way the belt and ring ended up in the Space Museum: Brainiac 5 used them to stop Ronald Reagan from being assassinated in the 20th Century and, from there, they ended up in the museum centuries later. The retcon was never ultimately revealed.
    Yeah, that does clear a few cobwebs loose. I bow to your superior memory. Anyone who could keep track of that mess is all right in my book.

Now someone get me some Tylenol. Make that Tylenol 3 while you're at it. This one's a doozy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ugh. Time travel continuity.

Do you people want Time Trapper?

Because this is how you get Time Trapper!
    Which version? Never mind I don't wanna know. All that Tylenol is about to crash my liver as it is.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 06-04-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks thetrellan.
    DRINK!

Time travel is such a mess. Be thankful it's something we will never have. Can you imagine the amount of problems it would cause? The world would be destroyed in about six seconds.

I love the Legion, so let's just leave the time travel to Brainy, and it he can't fix it, it's probably better off broken.

Quote Originally Posted by BCya View Post
    Time travel is such a mess. Be thankful it's something we will never have. Can you imagine the amount of problems it would cause? The world would be destroyed in about six seconds.

I love the Legion, so let's just leave the time travel to Brainy, and it he can't fix it, it's probably better off broken.
    I've maintained for decades that the ultimate cause of the Crisis on Infinite Earths was in the 30th century's extensive time travelling. That it broke causality in a way that made it possible for one being to methodically destroy universe after universe. After all, the Legion has had more reboots than the rest of the DCU. And in the last few years the future is so in flux that 31st century history seems to change before our very eyes.

The Anti-Monitor? Krona? Symptoms mistaken for the disease.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 06-05-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    Everywhere Booster bounces around, his time travel and/or chronal radiation temporarily give heroes near him their powers back. In addition, he and his friends are able to escape the domes using time travel.

All this is fine, except for the fact that he gets his time travel technology from the the 30th century, and specifically from Brainiac 5! Brainy invented the time sphere, did he not?

So why are not one but two Legions hoplessly trapped behind domes without their powers? Did no one think to escape using a T sphere in the entire year they were all stuck? And if the spheres were disabled by the domes, they why is Booster's group able to use the same tech to move around freely?

Then again, this is just the latest in a mountain of Convergence inconsistencies, I suppose.
    Yeah. I didn't read all of Convergence but I noticed that, in some cities, advanced technology didn't work at all, such as Cyborg's cybernetic implants not working while, in others, advanced tech worked just fine. In one city, Aquaman lost all his powers. In another, he kept some of them because they were inherent to his species, not super powers. In some cities, the rules of engagement were absolute and no interference. In others, it was a no rules free for all.

I also thought there was a funny line in the Superboy and the Legion one where someone says she's no Lois Lane and he asks who Lois Lane is. It just emphasizes the problems of having this guy from a thousand years in the past running around on your team. "Don't let him read any history. Don't let him talk to anybody." Even for all of that, I go back enough that sometimes, when people start talking about Superboy, it takes me a moment to realize, "Oh, you're talking about Connor Kent. Superboy, for me, is still the adventures of Superman when he was a boy."
    Last edited by Powerboy; 06-06-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yeah. I didn't read all of Convergence but I noticed that, in some cities, advanced technology didn't work at all, such as Cyborg's cybernetic implants not working while, in others, advanced tech worked just fine. In one city, Aquaman lost all his powers. In another, he kept some of them because they were inherent to his species, not super powers. In some cities, the rules of engagement were absolute and no interference. In others, it was a no rules free for all.

I also thought there was a funny line in the Superboy and the Legion one where someone says she's no Lois Lane and he asks who Lois Lane is. It just emphasizes the problems of having this guy from a thousand years in the past running around on your team. "Don't let him read any history. Don't let him talk to anybody." Even for all of that, I go back enough that sometimes, when people start talking about Superboy, it takes me a moment to realize, "Oh, you're talking about Connor Kent. Superboy, for me, is still the adventures of Superman when he was a boy."
    Lol. I think you had to really warm up to Connor to really think of him as Superboy. To me he's just that kid who thought he was a man for awhile. Or maybe the one who gave creators the stupid idea of having Superman's costume be just jeans and a T-shirt.

Seriously, why not just make his secret identity be Bruce Springsteen? A pack of smokes tucked up against his deltoid. Yeah, that's the ticket!