Page 97 of 185 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2767

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This. when characters do something drastically out of character, with powers and abilities that are completely out of continuity and disregard everything they ever would have or could have done... it's on the writer not the character. I always blamed Ron Marz for the Emerald Twilight... not Hal Jordan. That was just a badly written story. Same with Avengers Disassembled.

House of M?? I don't remember as well, but the whole 'No More Mutants' thing was pretty stupid for a mutant hero to have ever done.
    I agree with most of your stand, but you really shouldn't blame Ron Marz. The decision was made above him, he was just the messenger (and you know the old saying about messengers). If anything, you should blame Gerarad Jones for writing such a boring Hal Jordan that the Powers that Be found that He was the problem with the franchise. Marz did manage to revigorate the brand, though (though, if I had it my way, Jordan would have permenently exited the picture and Stewart would have been THE Green Lantern).
    That being said, maybe you can convince some posters that Shooter was to blame for "The Slap", and not Hank Pym.

Peace

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Readers/Fans who say stop shoving this or that character or series down my throat simply because they don't like them it's annoying honestly.

Also the notion that anyone or the publisher is forcing anyone to read about said character or title is silly so I don't really get the whole stop shoving this character or series down my throat argument it's silly and annoying honestly.

I see a lot with readers/fans when it relates to something marvel does whatever it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I agree with most of your stand, but you really shouldn't blame Ron Marz. The decision was made above him, he was just the messenger (and you know the old saying about messengers). If anything, you should blame Gerarad Jones for writing such a boring Hal Jordan that the Powers that Be found that He was the problem with the franchise. Marz did manage to revigorate the brand, though (though, if I had it my way, Jordan would have permenently exited the picture and Stewart would have been THE Green Lantern).
    That being said, maybe you can convince some posters that Shooter was to blame for "The Slap", and not Hank Pym.

Peace
    I don't feel Marz did enough research to actually write that story. Even if the big bosses told him to have Hal go evil and for the Corp to be wiped out and make a new GL... fine. But that actual story just wasn't very good. There so many little things that just didn't WORK that way. Long established rules and limits of the rings that were just disregarded. The rings were all powerful, so having 10 doesn't make you more powerful... The rings refused to let you apply lethal force but he atomized Kilowog... Just so many times I found myself saying 'Wait... what?? That doesn't work that way!!"

It was the equivalent to me of Dr. Strange showing up in Disassmebled and claiming that there was no such thing as Chaos magic... after he was the one who helped trained Wanda in it.

I don't feel Marz did enough research to actually write that story. Even if the big bosses told him to have Hal go evil and for the Corp to be wiped out and make a new GL... fine. But that actual story just wasn't very good. There so many little things that just didn't WORK that way. Long established rules and limits of the rings that were just disregarded. The rings were all powerful, so having 10 doesn't make you more powerful... The rings refused to let you apply lethal force but he atomized Kilowog... Just so many times I found myself saying 'Wait... what?? That doesn't work that way!!"

It was the equivalent to me of Dr. Strange showing up in Disassmebled and claiming that there was no such thing as Chaos magic... after he was the one who helped trained Wanda in it.
    I think Marz got screwed, honestly.

The idea of dumping Hal and destroying the Corps originated with DC management and editorial (insofar as I recall anyway), and Marz was just the guy who got hired to cram that deconstruction into a handful of issues and set up a new guy. Too much story in too few issues, there was no way that was ever going to go down well. But because it was Marz's name on the cover, he's the guy who got the blame for it all.

The....flaws....in the story never bothered me too much though. The rings work from will power, and what you believe is what is "real" as far as they go. So Hal, in his crazy state, believed that more rings would make him more powerful....so they did. He believed he could kill with them, and so he did. We've seen other Lanterns push the rings beyond what their limits are supposed to be. John Stewart re-created the entire planet of Xanshi at one point, pushing the ring beyond what it was supposed to be capable of. If he can make a construct that size despite the "rules" then why couldn't Hal break the ones he did?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Marz got screwed, honestly.

The idea of dumping Hal and destroying the Corps originated with DC management and editorial (insofar as I recall anyway), and Marz was just the guy who got hired to cram that deconstruction into a handful of issues and set up a new guy. Too much story in too few issues, there was no way that was ever going to go down well. But because it was Marz's name on the cover, he's the guy who got the blame for it all.
    It's true. As a huge Hal fan, there wasn't any way 'went evil' was going to endear the story to me. I was going to be livid regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The....flaws....in the story never bothered me too much though. The rings work from will power, and what you believe is what is "real" as far as they go. So Hal, in his crazy state, believed that more rings would make him more powerful....so they did. He believed he could kill with them, and so he did. We've seen other Lanterns push the rings beyond what their limits are supposed to be. John Stewart re-created the entire planet of Xanshi at one point, pushing the ring beyond what it was supposed to be capable of. If he can make a construct that size despite the "rules" then why couldn't Hal break the ones he did?
    We've seen that kind of stuff NOW... but the rings have been drastically nerfed since Johns took over. Back then it was 24 hours of 'do whatever you want'. no limited charge, no 'willpower exceeds rings capabilities'... There was literally nothing Hal Jordan of all people could do with 10 that he couldn't do with one. If anything, splitting your attention through 10 focal points would have made him weaker... The only limitations were what the Guardians said they were. There were a lot of characters who had those rings who truly believed they could kill with them or override the regulations... and their belief didn't really matter. Lobo, Jack T Chance, Gardner... The 'no kill' rule was pretty strictly enforced at the time.

Once they remade the ring and gave it to Kyle with all the new properties... it was a new game and anything goes... but Twilight was still working with the established ruleset that we've seen for decades and... I didn't like it at all. It felt like the Cellophane 'S' Shield in Superman II... or the memory erasing kiss from the same... It just came out of nowhere and broke all the rules.

Had he written it with the rules intact... I still would have hated the story. But I would have put the blame on the bosses and not complained as much about the nuts and bolts of the writing.

Well, I guess you do make a strong argument. I still think he did the best he could with what was given him, though. And I liked some of what he did with Kyle later on (even if Kyle will never be one of my favorite Lanterns). To each it's own, I guess.

Peace

Had he written it with the rules intact... I still would have hated the story. But I would have put the blame on the bosses and not complained as much about the nuts and bolts of the writing.
    Oh, I get ya. Even though I defended him in my last post that doesnt mean Emerald Twilight was a good story.

I dont think there was any way that story got done in the amount of time Marz was given where it would have turned out well. Marz ignoring the rules of the mythos is, in my opinion, the smallest offense from that story. And the fact that it's been done since then does make it a little easier to swallow after the fact too.

But Im also biased. I adored Marz's run with Kyle. He was *my* Green Lantern, and I was quite happy to let Hal stay crazy and evil indefinitely. Even as a fan, you gotta admit the idea of Hal being evil is pretty badass. Had that been handled properly he'd be a better villain than Doom and Magneto and Lex and Joker and any other name you can think of. Hal being evil is genuinely scary; even if he's "only" as powerful as a regular Lantern, he knows everything about everyone; he'd be the single greatest threat the League had ever seen, and he'd pull on the heart strings of characters and readers alike.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

After all these years Franklin should be allowed to age to be a teenager, age up Valeria a couple years too and have them be active members. Change the name to the Fantastic Five and have Ben/Johnny rotate as the fifth member. Have Two-In-One remain as an ongoing book starring both The Human Torch and The Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    After all these years Franklin should be allowed to age to be a teenager, age up Valeria a couple years too and have them be active members. Change the name to the Fantastic Five and have Ben/Johnny rotate as the fifth member. Have Two-In-One remain as an ongoing book starring both The Human Torch and The Thing.
    My vote is the opposite. Reboot the FF and just wipe Valeria and Franklin out of existence. Honestly Every FF story or incarnation I've ever enjoyed was without those two. They've never added anything to the franchise that I enjoyed. In a book with two of the greatest geniuses ever written, adding Valeria who can compete with them is lame and constantly giving and taking away unlimited power has gotten old.

I've been rewatching the 2006 animated series and they REALLY seem to nail the personalities. it's not JUST about 'FAMILY'... it's about adventure! Exploration! Solving the secrets of the universe!! Because it's FUN and they LOVE it!!!

Granted I don't see this regression every happening, so my counter offer would be to NOT age characters naturally because that's lame and ages the whole universe... but just have Franklin want to be a teenager ... and suddenly be a teenager. Snap his fingers, go through a time portal come back old enough to drive the fantasticar... something of that nature. Quick, easy, and contained to the FF book alone.

Spectacular Member

Black Panther and Storm.... Has there ever been a more forced relationship in all of comics? Just dull and predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Child of the Atom View Post
    Black Panther and Storm.... Has there ever been a more forced relationship in all of comics? Just dull and predictable.
    I remember seeing pictures of them teamed up with Blade, Luke Cage and every other Black Character they could squeeze in regardless of genre or personality... That seemed stupid to me.

I remember seeing pictures of them teamed up with Blade, Luke Cage and every other Black Character they could squeeze in regardless of genre or personality... That seemed stupid to me.
    And how many times have white characters of different genres and personalities teamed up?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And how many times have white characters of different genres and personalities teamed up?
    Not enough to justify that.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Child of the Atom View Post
    UGH, THIS! Always found this couple completely overrated. They had all the looks and none of the substance, honestly. I feel like they are very idealized by Marvel and a lot of the fans as this epic couple, but their time together never actually lived up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    UGH, THIS! Always found this couple completely overrated. They had all the looks and none of the substance, honestly. I feel like they are very idealized by Marvel and a lot of the fans as this epic couple, but their time together never actually lived up to that.
    I personally find Storm alone over rated. WAY too much focus on her background as a 'goddess'... because she WASN"T a god. She was a mutant. and the moment she found out about that... she left that life to go to the states.

Mutants elevating themselves above the common humans and being worshiped as gods is pretty much exactly what the X-Men are AGAINST... Her adolescence is something she should look back on with shame and embaressment, not use as a constant beat stick about how regal and royal she is. Her time as a goddess should fall into the same category as Rogue as a villain, Emma as the white Queen, and Wolverine as psychotic wild man living with wolves... It's a part of their past from when they didn't know any better, but it certainly isn't something they are 'proud' of.