View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

57 45.24%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

47 37.30%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.46%
Page 52 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    https://variety.com/2023/film/news/t...ly-1235694441/

I think superhero fatigue absolutely exists,” DaCosta told Total Film magazine. “The biggest difference from the other MCU movies to date is that [‘The Marvels’ is] really wacky, and silly. The worlds we go to in this movie are worlds unlike others you’ve seen in the MCU. Bright worlds that you haven’t seen before.”

“‘The Avengers’ movies are these epic conclusions to chapters of storytelling, whereas this is a team-up within the narrative that we didn’t necessarily expect for Marvel,” producer Mary Livanos added about what makes “The Marvels” stand out. “Usually, you wait for characters to show up all together in ‘Avengers’ movies. We were excited to design a team-up featuring characters that women from all walks of life could relate to
    Also from the same article.

“Spider-Verse” producers and writers Phil Lord and Chris Miller told Rolling Stone earlier this year that “superhero fatigue” is not to blame for certain comic book movies falling below expectations.

“I don’t believe it’s super superhero fatigue, I believe it’s ‘a movie that feels like a movie I’ve seen a dozen times before’ fatigue,” Miller said. “If you’re using the same story structure and the same style and the same tone and the same vibe as movies and shows that have come before, it doesn’t matter what genre it is. It’s going to be boring to people.”

Hmmm, different people have different opinions. Imagine that.

That sounds a lot like the BIG Hit! GOTG 3. Maybe William Goldman is right, "Nobody knows anything in Hollywood "
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Also from the same article.

“Spider-Verse” producers and writers Phil Lord and Chris Miller told Rolling Stone earlier this year that “superhero fatigue” is not to blame for certain comic book movies falling below expectations.

“I don’t believe it’s super superhero fatigue, I believe it’s ‘a movie that feels like a movie I’ve seen a dozen times before’ fatigue,” Miller said. “If you’re using the same story structure and the same style and the same tone and the same vibe as movies and shows that have come before, it doesn’t matter what genre it is. It’s going to be boring to people.”

Hmmm, different people have different opinions. Imagine that.
    This reminds me of when Gunn and Lord & Miller said saying superhero movie fatigue won't happen as long as you keep things fresh and unique, while Feige said superhero fatique won't happen period.

Really shows who is more in touch right now and who isn't.

Incredible Member

https://thedirect.com/article/kevin-...nt%20to%20make.

As for the question of superhero fatigue, it's something that "people were asking... [since his] 2nd year at Marvel:"

"I've been at Marvel Studios for 22 years now, over 22 years, and most of us here at Marvel Studios have been around a decade or longer together. And from probably my 2nd year at Marvel people were asking, 'Well, how long is this going to last? Is this fad of comic book movies going to end? And I didn't really understand the question. Because to me it was akin to saying after 'Gone With The Wind', 'Well how many more movies can be made off of novels? Do you think the audience will sour on movies being adapted from books?'"

Well you would never ask that because there is an inherent understanding among most people that a book can be anything. A novel can have any type of story whatsoever, so it all depends on what story you're translating. None comic readers don't understand it's the same thing in comics. There're 80 years of the most interesting, emotional, groundbreaking stories that have been told in the Marvel comics and it is our great privilege to be able to take what we and adapt them."

"But another way to do that is adapting them into different genres and what types of movies we want to make. And I, from sitting at USC, probably Semester 2 before your screenwriting class, Jason, and sitting in Cinema 101 and being exposed to so many different types of film that I said, 'I want to make all of these. I don't want to just make one kind of movie, I want to make all kinds of movies.' And I found that if we tell the story right, and we adapt them in a way that the audience still, knock on wood so far, is falling us along 22-plus years later with, that we can tell any types of movies that share two things. The Marvel Studios logo above the title and a seed of an idea from our publishing history."
    Last edited by HollowSage; 08-13-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Fantastic Member

The idea that people are going to tire of a genre is silly. It’s also dumb because the thing with fads is they need to be replaced. Mario, Barbie, and Top Gun are it hits but they are hitsbased on nostalgia. you aren’t getting a nostalgia hit every 90 days. If Marvels flops it’s going to be based on timing competition andquality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    The idea that people are going to tire of a genre is silly. It’s also dumb because the thing with fads is they need to be replaced. Mario, Barbie, and Top Gun are it hits but they are hitsbased on nostalgia. you aren’t getting a nostalgia hit every 90 days. If Marvels flops it’s going to be based on timing competition andquality.
    What? There's been plenty of genre's people have gotten tied of noir Westerns Disaster Movies Parody Movies Sword-and-Sandal Movies etc just to name a few it's not really that silly.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    What? There's been plenty of genre's people have gotten tied of noir Westerns Disaster Movies Parody Movies Sword-and-Sandal Movies etc just to name a few it's not really that silly.
    westerns evolved they went from film to TV and it happened over eighty years. Parody/spoof films were replaced, Swords and sandals was a staple bgenre and a minor one at that. Noir is still around its just on TV it also comes and goes.

westerns evolved they went from film to TV and it happened over eighty years. Parody/spoof films were replaced, Swords and sandals was a staple bgenre and a minor one at that. Noir is still around its just on TV it also comes and goes.
    They are still around sure but they aren't what they were my point is people got tied of them but just because they are tied of it doesn't mean it's going to disappear.

Boisterously Confused

...If Marvels flops it’s going to be based on timing competition and quality.
    I especially agree with the comment about quality. I get a bit suspicious when I read that the creative team is pleading "genre fatigue" that they're really just ducking blame. It doesn't surprise me that it takes something new or different for a given genre franchise to hold an audience's interest over time. That, however, is not the same as saying the genre itself has gone stale.

Well, we're approaching the release of The Marvels, which I warned earlier in this thread, would be the nail in the coffin for this debate. So far the long term reporting for the film has suggested it will open somewhere between 50-70 million. If that happens, the MCU is basically finished, you'll have a sequel to film that made over a billion dollars making under 400 million ww. The Flash performed so poorly because people hated Ezra Miller and Gunn saying the film doesn't really matter. The Marvels has none of that, if it fails, its because people are done.

Superhero fatique does not mean there will never be profitable or popular superhero films, its just the number of those films is decreasing and more and more the ceiling to these films is shrinking. Well see if Gunn can turn things around in 2025 with Superman, but by the time that film comes out, the MCU will just be background noise.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Well, we're approaching the release of The Marvels, which I warned earlier in this thread, would be the nail in the coffin for this debate. So far the long term reporting for the film has suggested it will open somewhere between 50-70 million. If that happens, the MCU is basically finished, you'll have a sequel to film that made over a billion dollars making under 400 million ww. The Flash performed so poorly because people hated Ezra Miller and Gunn saying the film doesn't really matter. The Marvels has none of that, if it fails, its because people are done.

Superhero fatique does not mean there will never be profitable or popular superhero films, its just the number of those films is decreasing and more and more the ceiling to these films is shrinking. Well see if Gunn can turn things around in 2025 with Superman, but by the time that film comes out, the MCU will just be background noise.
    Is this just wishful thinking?

Even if The Marvels flops you do know they have other more popular characters with movies coming. Fantastic Four, X-Men, Blade. I just don’t understand the idea that one bad movie will bring down the entire MCU.

They survived Incredible Hulk, Dark World and Eternals. If superhero fatigue means that every movie won’t be a mega hit then nothing has really changed. Not every movie was a mega hit in the first place.

Is this just wishful thinking?

Even if The Marvels flops you do know they have other more popular characters with movies coming. Fantastic Four, X-Men, Blade. I just don’t understand the idea that one bad movie will bring down the entire MCU.
    Last time I checked, none of those properties had films with writers, let alone produced scripts (not sure about Blade). They won't be filmed for years at this point because Marvel Studios is grossly incompetent in their scheduling. They took on to many projects and they are paying the price for their greed. Those Disney+ shows are billion dollar blunders.

They survived Incredible Hulk, Dark World and Eternals. If superhero fatigue means that every movie won’t be a mega hit then nothing has really changed. Not every movie was a mega hit in the first place.
    I mean the Eternals is one of the reasons why the MCU started to decline, because Keven Fiege became convinced he was going to produce a Best Picture winner. The Marvels is also predicted to make less than the Eternals right now, in fact its believed right now that it will make less than Black Adam which was the movie that provoked WB to wash their hands of their current universe. It's just to big a loss and but it's also a symbolic loss. At the height of the MCU, in 2019, you make an unremarkable film like Captain Marvel 1 and it'll be a billion dollar film. Now its a sub 400 million dollar failure.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Last time I checked, none of those properties had films with writers, let alone produced scripts (not sure about Blade). They won't be filmed for years at this point because Marvel Studios is grossly incompetent in their scheduling. They took on to many projects and they are paying the price for their greed. Those Disney+ shows are billion dollar blunders.

I mean the Eternals is one of the reasons why the MCU started to decline, because Keven Fiege became convinced he was going to produce a Best Picture winner. The Marvels is also predicted to make less than the Eternals right now, in fact its believed right now that it will make less than Black Adam which was the movie that provoked WB to wash their hands of their current universe. It's just to big a loss and but it's also a symbolic loss. At the height of the MCU, in 2019, you make an unremarkable film like Captain Marvel 1 and it'll be a billion dollar film. Now its a sub 400 million dollar failure.
    WB had bigger problems than Black Adam going back to Snyder. The only real bright spots were the first WW and Aquaman. Everyone agreed they needed to do something different.

The MCU is not in the same place. Yes we are past the hype moment of the Infinity Saga. Just like in comics a huge crossover will pump up the numbers of tie-in books. Once the crossover is done those books go back to their regular numbers. The sky is not falling.

However I can see that this cycle will continue. A movie underperforms and out come the predictions of doom. A movie does well and crickets.

If the Avengers or X-Men flops then they will have a real problem. However even that wouldn’t be the end because worse comes to worse they can reboot like WB is doing.

Love how everyone attacks hero movies but we can have 80 horror movies a year and two on the same release day and no one comments at all.

It's crazy how people like Pinsir will completely ignore that Marvel just had a very successful film in GOTG 3 yet psych onto this one's supposed failure. I mean he's already saying it did $400 million and the movie isn't even out yet. Speaking of GOTG 3, its presales also trended less than Ant-Man yet it ended up making way more.