Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1295

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "back-to-basics." The definition may vary from person to person.
    True, but it feels worth asking at this point.

Feels like trying to go for that vibe would've worked better for Zdarsky than...all the other stuff he's done in his run.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "back-to-basics." The definition may vary from person to person.
    I think most people would agree back to basics is smaller scale detective stuff.

No end of the world or city conquering threats, no God robots or multidimensional nonsense, just Batman figuring out crimes like how who's killing all these people or how did this person steal this thing from a tightly sealed room.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 05-10-2024 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I think most people would agree back to basics is smaller scale detective stuff.

No end of the world or city conquering threats, no God robots or multidimensional nonsense, just Batman figuring out crimes like how who's killing all these people or how did this person steal this thing from a tightly sealed room.
    I miss Batman actually fighting crime and being successful about it.

Now he's fighting evil versions of himself, robots, the consequences of his own actions, ancient conspiracies, or constant criticism of his methods and effectiveness.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I miss Batman actually fighting crime and being successful about it.

Now he's fighting evil versions of himself, robots, the consequences of his own actions, ancient conspiracies, or constant criticism of his methods and effectiveness.
    Batman’s greatest nemesis is the consequences of his own actions.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

Honestly, I don't think most people really want that. It's pretty common to see comics readers dismissing stories for not being big enough.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Honestly, I don't think most people really want that. It's pretty common to see comics readers dismissing stories for not being big enough.
    Those kinds of people are the types who would label a character building and personal story as "filler" because its not "majorly advancing the plot".

The constant escalation crowd is extremally harmful to storytelling.

But when the alternative is writers constantly trying to top themselves with how big their stories are, it just feels hollow.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Im sort if fine with the way things are if somwone wahys detective stories read Detective comics if they want Super hero stories Read "Batman"
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Im sort if fine with the way things are if somwone wahys detective stories read Detective comics if they want Super hero stories Read "Batman"
    But 'Tec isn't even doing detective stories right now, it's practically the same problem .

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, this happens a lot.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    No, you're incorrect.

Earth-2 Batman is basically the Golden Age Batman who died.
    Silver Age Batman is the one that was there during COIE.

It's better explained here: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Origins
    I think I forgot that the multiverse was already established before COIE. If so, then would the Batman who was established as being from Earth 1 be the Silver Age Batman?

And was Year One the origin established for that Batman, told retroactively after COIE happened?

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But 'Tec isn't even doing detective stories right now, it's practically the same problem .
    Well thars true
    X-Men Forever

One thing I loved about the Grant/Breyfogle run was they almost always showed Batman/Robin fighting regular crime. Might of only been a panel while they were working on a big case, but it was there.

The constantly trying to top what you did before can't last forever. Seems like since Knightfall, it's mostly been this. Not all of it, I don't feel King was doing this, but his run had other problems. Moench I don't think did it on his run post Batman #500 either.

Detective hasn't been as caught up in that as much aside from when it's part of the event crossovers. Ram V's current story is a big "everything's in peril" story, but I think it would have been fine if it were less drawn out. It's moved way too slow. I think the run I liked most recently was the Tomasi/Mahnke/Walker run.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    One thing I loved about the Grant/Breyfogle run was they almost always showed Batman/Robin fighting regular crime. Might of only been a panel while they were working on a big case, but it was there.

The constantly trying to top what you did before can't last forever. Seems like since Knightfall, it's mostly been this. Not all of it, I don't feel King was doing this, but his run had other problems. Moench I don't think did it on his run post Batman #500 either.

Detective hasn't been as caught up in that as much aside from when it's part of the event crossovers. Ram V's current story is a big "everything's in peril" story, but I think it would have been fine if it were less drawn out. It's moved way too slow. I think the run I liked most recently was the Tomasi/Mahnke/Walker run.
    This is why I stopped reading the mainline Batbooks, there is almost no street level crime whatsoever.

There was a time when a low level gangster took center stage for an entire arc but now it's God Emperor Joker vs BatGod for the very souls of every Gothamite that has ever existed or will exist.

I miss storylines where Batman was solving a simple extortion case or kidnapping

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I think I forgot that the multiverse was already established before COIE. If so, then would the Batman who was established as being from Earth 1 be the Silver Age Batman?

And was Year One the origin established for that Batman, told retroactively after COIE happened?
    Untold Legend of the Batman is basically the "Year One" for the Silver Age Batman that existed from the early 60's until Crisis, Year One was the origin of the Batman who emerged from the new Earth after Crisis and lasted until the nu52 which rebooted the universe again and gave us the new origin in Zero Year. And as for now, "It all happened" so I guess multiple choice? Personally, I think the Red Hood Gang portion of Zero Year meshes fairly well with Year One so in my head that's the defacto origin.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 05-16-2024 at 06:32 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!