Page 94 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1585

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Not sure but the only one who made it past 12 in the past are Wolverine Gambit Bishop Cable, x23. X-Man I cant see a book lasting past 12 these days though. Nightcrawler and Rogue have 12 issues. I can t see who else Breevoort will try
    I'd like to see Mystique and Emma get a try since they're the female characters with the second and third longest solos. Get an idea of how different things would be now.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    I'd like to see Mystique and Emma get a try since they're the female characters with the second and third longest solos. Get an idea of how different things would be now.
    Mystique had a 24 issue solo am I right? I know that Emma had a 18 issue ongoing

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I've noticed that when solo ongoing books like Wolverine and Cable are brought up, people forget that X-Man managed to head an ongoing book for 75 issues in the 90s.
    Not a solo but there's also stuff like Peter David's X-Factor which lasted over a hundred issues which starred guys like Multiple Man and Strong Guy in lead roles. I don't think that one had relative A-listers in the line-up.

Makes me wonder if Al Ewing were to write an Immortal X-book like say Immortal Jean Grey or Immortal Magneto, how long he can get it to last compared to the 50 issues and multiple specials of his Immortal Hulk run.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Mystique had a 24 issue solo am I right? I know that Emma had a 18 issue ongoing
    Your right I forgot those in another thread lol. Bishop had 16 issues once as well
    X-Men Forever

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...medium=twitter

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/...buckley-part-1

Dan Buckley replied "I think the days of having a 500-issue run is probably a reach, but we are looking at having less limited series and more ongoing, with all our characters. I'm not going to say there won't be limited series, but I am at the moment approving some series for 10 issues at a time, not 4 or 5. Hopefully, I can get to 15 or 20. That is the intent. Because, to be honest, it's a lot of work on our editorial staff, too, to restart books all the time; there's a lot of work on our marketing staff, to re-market a book coming out. It's to the benefit of everyone to figure this out."
    Last edited by H-E-D; 05-05-2024 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Interesting points about the solo series. I guess time and the market will determine whether that's a good approach or not.

There's also this article by Bleeding Cool: Marvel Now Approving Series For Ten Issues At A Time, which could mean the new Storm and Phoenix books and whatever else is coming up have been approved for at least 10 issues, which is great as that will allow them a bit more time to find an audience.
    This is excellent news
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    It's not that they're being approved to be only 10 issues. I believe he's saying that the ongoing is being pre-cleared to at least 10 issues (in some cases). That gives the book enough time to find an audience in TPB as well as monthly.
    Right. This.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Especially if she might want to seem more approachable to the young Mutants she's mentoring.

From my past experience with writer Geoffrey Thorne's work, I would not be worried about it being like Percy's X-Force or Howard's books.
    Right. This, too.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I've noticed that when solo ongoing books like Wolverine and Cable are brought up, people forget that X-Man managed to head an ongoing book for 75 issues in the 90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It's rather interesting how much the character faded into obscurity and a "nobody knows what to do with him anymore" situation after such an initital success.

Especially since the solo series was created in the time when the collectors bubble had allready burst, many of the suddently founded comic book shops had closed down again and Marvel comics management was in constant state of chaos from frequently changing leaders, owners and manager.

So this series somehow steadily sold enough to make it to 75 in a time when sales were allready spiraling down again and fans begann to disengage.
    Nate was actually brought up in the newsletter:

Do you have any X-Men characters that either fly under the radar or are outright unpopular that you are fond of or have a soft spot for?

For example, I simply adore Longshot and think Nate Grey, the one and only X-Man, has a lot of seriously strong story potential nobody really has been able to bring out.

If I did, Cian, then that situation isn’t going to be a problem for them much longer, right? Because now I can use anybody that I want to regardless of how unpopular or obscure they are. I don’t know that I think either Longshot or X-Man are especially unpopular or obscure, though. The one limitation on all of this, of course, is the fact that there are more characters that people love than there are spots to feature them in books. But I wouldn’t think that either of those two gentlebeings will be off the canvas for too long.
    So, he hasn't been completely forgotten.
    No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
    - Helen Keller

A few things from this week's newsletter:
    https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/1...our-fingertips

Cian McDarby: You’ve been talking a bit about how you want to focus on more solo books, and I’m curious to why. Is it a matter of just thinking the line would do better with more solos? Is it just “We haven’t tried this yet, might be something to pursue”? Or is it some other reason that the average comic nut wouldn’t even consider?

Tom: It’s more the fact that I’ve felt like a lot of the X-Projects over the past several years have felt just a bit random to me, Cian, where their casts seem to have been assembled based on who happened to be around and available rather than any relevance to the concept of the series. (Roger Stern had a name for books like this, where the characters were bent out of alignment in order to support a concept that wasn’t relevant to them: “fake books”. ) Plus, I think there are any number of X-Characters who have proven themselves popular and certainly capable of floating a series of their own where the focus can be more tightly on them rather than them being part of another temporary ensemble.

Weslley W: There's a Foreshadow Variant Cover featuring Dazzler front and center. Can we safely assume she'll emerge... FROM THE ASHES?

Tom: Only time will tell, Weslley. But you can assume that I wouldn’t have done a Foreshadowing variant featuring a given character if it wasn’t Foreshadowing something.

Kevin F: What's your policy regarding artists sharing WIPs? I ask because Ryan Stegman frequently shares upcoming panels, while others don't. We've specifically asked Marcus To to share the X-Force costume design sheet, but he seems to believe he's not permitted to. Geoffrey Thorne mentioned the same.

Tom: As a general rule, Kevin, we prefer for our artists not to share WIP materials without checking with us first, so as to avoid spoiling any future announcements or story surprises. But there are instances when we’re happy to have our creators beating the bushes to promote their upcoming work as well.

There's some other questions with "wait and see" responses including a question about Iceman.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

The Dazzler incoming

oh I like this quote
    It’s more the fact that I’ve felt like a lot of the X-Projects over the past several years have felt just a bit random to me, Cian, where their casts seem to have been assembled based on who happened to be around and available rather than any relevance to the concept of the series. (Roger Stern had a name for books like this, where the characters were bent out of alignment in order to support a concept that wasn’t relevant to them: “fake books”. )
    literally f***ing Excalibur by Tini Howard

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    oh I like this quote

literally f***ing Excalibur by Tini Howard
    I am happy happy that Tom acknowledges this problem.

Also I hope that Tom will tell Annalise Bissa not to make fake books anymore.
    She was editor on Howard`s Excalibur, then joined Avengers and now will edit X-Men books again.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 05-12-2024 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    A few things from this week's newsletter:
    https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/1...our-fingertips

Cian McDarby: You’ve been talking a bit about how you want to focus on more solo books, and I’m curious to why. Is it a matter of just thinking the line would do better with more solos? Is it just “We haven’t tried this yet, might be something to pursue”? Or is it some other reason that the average comic nut wouldn’t even consider?

Tom: It’s more the fact that I’ve felt like a lot of the X-Projects over the past several years have felt just a bit random to me, Cian, where their casts seem to have been assembled based on who happened to be around and available rather than any relevance to the concept of the series. (Roger Stern had a name for books like this, where the characters were bent out of alignment in order to support a concept that wasn’t relevant to them: “fake books”. ) Plus, I think there are any number of X-Characters who have proven themselves popular and certainly capable of floating a series of their own where the focus can be more tightly on them rather than them being part of another temporary ensemble.

Weslley W: There's a Foreshadow Variant Cover featuring Dazzler front and center. Can we safely assume she'll emerge... FROM THE ASHES?

Tom: Only time will tell, Weslley. But you can assume that I wouldn’t have done a Foreshadowing variant featuring a given character if it wasn’t Foreshadowing something.

Kevin F: What's your policy regarding artists sharing WIPs? I ask because Ryan Stegman frequently shares upcoming panels, while others don't. We've specifically asked Marcus To to share the X-Force costume design sheet, but he seems to believe he's not permitted to. Geoffrey Thorne mentioned the same.

Tom: As a general rule, Kevin, we prefer for our artists not to share WIP materials without checking with us first, so as to avoid spoiling any future announcements or story surprises. But there are instances when we’re happy to have our creators beating the bushes to promote their upcoming work as well.

There's some other questions with "wait and see" responses including a question about Iceman.
    But it’s just a design sheet I only asked twice

I wonder if Dazzler joins one of the teams (Uncanny?) or gets a solo.