Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Did you also enjoy the initial headache of trying to get what the hell was going on? 'Cause the confusion on this board even after the final issue came out was amusing .
    It was certainly a narrative whiplash, but I followed it just fine.

I think Spencer did a solid job of cramming four issues of plot into one (while simultaneously having four issues of Sinister War with no plot whatsoever). Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    It was certainly a narrative whiplash, but I followed it just fine.

I think Spencer did a solid job of cramming four issues of plot into one (while simultaneously having four issues of Sinister War with no plot whatsoever). Lol.
    That's certainly how I felt about it. (Well, the first and last issues of Sinister War had plot. The middle two were just there.)
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, but has anyone heard anything about Nick Spencer in the last year?

Has he done an interview? Has he done a signing?

He left one of the biggest titles in comics to be part of an initiative at Substack.

About two years ago there was a Bleeding Cool item about him being a freelancer, but still making some comics for them.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/sdcc...medium=twitter

Does anyone know more?

This seems weird.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Idk probably being screwed twice by Marvel editorial made him decide to never get involve with the franchise again
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Idk probably being screwed twice by Marvel editorial made him decide to never get involve with the franchise again
    I didn't know he got "screwed" once, but twice???

Fantastic Member

There were a lot of great moments in the Spencer run but it had its faults. The Kindred storyline was not only convoluted but went on for way too long.

Amazing Member

Those are the thing that are killing the character:
    -OMD
    -Wanting to write the definitive Harry/Norman story(a problem that Spiderman share with Batman and Daredevil)
    -Wanting to write the definitive Kraven story
    -Ignore the rich Cast of side characters to Focus on things that nobody cares and your pet character
    -Spiderverse and insert spiderverse character in your story instead Focus on characters like FF or Daredevil
    You see? Spencer run check every problem with the character except OMD, and because the niche but vocal audience demand only to fix the first one they ignore allnthe problem this mediocre to bad run.
    In 10 or 20 years people are going to recomend about JMS , Zdarsky or even some Slott stories. Whose going to recomend Hunted, Kindred, Chasm or Spudergoblin? Since the end of Spock there is nothing worth to read on TAS and since before Sins Past there is nothing great.
    But anyway all the problems of this run:
    -It promise evolve the character, It didn't , in the end with Slott he has a degree , with Spencer we have a promise that is working on It
    - Only JJJ , Black Cat and the PET character matter as side characters.No , having one issue with Betty IS not becoming a supporting character , was Harry a supporting character on Slott run then? Also this problem is one of the voces the current run take
    -First issue stablish a promising status that was barely touch
    -MJ until was saved by editorial she was gonna become her 90s and early 00s, a wife that should spent her Life in the kitchen and be Peter therapist.
    -Outside MAYBE Kraven and Rhino, he sucks writing villain. If Slott , Mackey or the current run made the Sin shit, we would have still mock them
    -His crusade against OMD got boring and is a reason rereading It is a pain
    -He try too hard to be JMD that I would rather read JMD book because he get the character better.
    -Events, and none of them are better than some Slott shit one like Spiderverse.
    - Peter Parker doesn't have a Life. Spiderman have. Peter looks like a manchild , even Slott at least gave Peter some stupid job, even Wells gave Peter some job.

Tlde: this run is only talked right now because Slott and Wells one doesn't use MJ, in 20 years is going to be as talked as Well, Mackey or Oneil.
    Because , It doesn't have a story.
    For example, in superman :Joe Kelly and Loeb runs has Its problem. But people know Emperor Joker, What so funny
    The 70s and early 80s try to fix Superman. Outside Alan Moore finale and last issue before Byrne nobody Talk about that era, because there isn't there a story worth , the writers were just there while Batman , Spiderman, or Avengers was changing everything
    Like how Spencer was in the late 10s, he was even Outshadow by Zdarsky.
    Last edited by Waldo; 05-13-2024 at 02:27 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

It looks like he's just doing Substack stuff and is part of the management team over there.

https://3w3m.substack.com/p/the-state-of-the-universe

I'd not looked before but his Substack profile is pretty telling how he feels. Lol.

Spens1.jpg
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    It looks like he's just doing Substack stuff and is part of the management team over there.

https://3w3m.substack.com/p/the-state-of-the-universe

I'd not looked before but his Substack profile is pretty telling how he feels. Lol.

Spens1.jpg
    That is an announcement from within the last year, so thanks.

I don't see any indication on the 3 Moons site that he's done any stories as part of that initiative.

I know he's been rather quiet on social media and interviews, which is kinda funny since I knew him on the old Bendis board where he was quite opinionated.

He is a guy who can prep things behind the scenes quietly (my impression is that he did a lot of work for Amazing Spider-Man well before he was announced as a writer) so he may just be waiting for the right moment to announce something.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I didn't know he got "screwed" once, but twice???
    Im sure Captain America wasnt done as he intended
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread on this, but has anyone heard anything about Nick Spencer in the last year?

Has he done an interview? Has he done a signing?

He left one of the biggest titles in comics to be part of an initiative at Substack.

About two years ago there was a Bleeding Cool item about him being a freelancer, but still making some comics for them.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/sdcc...medium=twitter

Does anyone know more?

This seems weird.
    The most I'd heard about Spencer was in Perch's youtube channel (since his insiders were proven to be right every now and then) and that there were talks about him doing Iron Man (supposedly after Duggan's run wrapped?), but nothing ever since. It's been about a year since that too. The usual reciprocal 'tip of the hats' (Spencer's run was terrific!) from co-workers seemed to be kept at a minimum as well - you can find it, but you have to strain your eyes for it, when most social media interactions with editors and staff that worked with him would usually net praise easier.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Astonishing Member

Spencer has been attending cons - Sal at Comic Pop said he spoke to him at one some months ago.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-13-2024 at 06:37 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    The most I'd heard about Spencer was in Perch's youtube channel (since his insiders were proven to be right every now and then) and that there were talks about him doing Iron Man (supposedly after Duggan's run wrapped?), but nothing ever since. It's been about a year since that too. The usual reciprocal 'tip of the hats' (Spencer's run was terrific!) from co-workers seemed to be kept at a minimum as well - you can find it, but you have to strain your eyes for it, when most social media interactions with editors and staff that worked with him would usually net praise easier.
    I wouldn't mind him on Iron Man.

Amazing Member

I really liked the start of Spencer's tenure on the book, it got me back into buying Amazing (never really came back after Superior ended) but the second half was such a rushed mess.