Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Doesn't even make any sense since quite a few of the current ones are definitely willing to kill if the situation leaves no choice. Scarlet Witch, Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel definitely would. All of them far better at it too.
    Scarlet Witch had just gone nut, attacked the whole team, and Magneto had to take her. Thor was in the middle of a Ragnarok and nobody could find him. Carol (still Warbird) had just been court-martialed for killing someone; she was acquited, but may not be willing to test her luck again (it was a big blow to her when she was kicked out of the team for her alcohol problems, and surely don't want to repeat the experience).

In hindsight, they'd work better as Defenders but it is what it is.

Im enjoying Mckay's run but he's handicapped by the roster. So im hoping he puts in other characters over them.

Wolverine being on the New Avengers still bugs me. I know the main reason was because he was popular which led to the oversaturation of the character over the years. But the in universe reason of 'samurai warrior' still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. At least come up with a better reason on why he was there. The fact that Logan wanted to kill two kids as a Avenger (Wiccan and Hope Summers) and isn't kicked out of the team for it makes me question some of the choices the Avengers make. It also makes Clint a hypocrite when he was on the Thunderbolts. If Wolverine was on something like a Secret Avengers squad or something that wasn't so public I'd actually be more okay with that.

Spider-Man I'm more neutral. I think he functions as a team-up/part time member than a full time Avenger who shows up at the meetings. I guess my main issue with Spider-Man is he's always going to have an ongoing so how he's written on the different books might not be consistent. We're seeing that now in the current Avengers book. It's a good book but hardly any character development is happening. I feel with Spider-Man it would be too restrictive if he was an Avenger but they've done it before.

With all that said I don't think either need to be on Avengers team on a permanent basis. Team ups and part time membership is fine. Both Spidey and Wolvie are popular enough to carry their own brand.
    Last edited by ComicNoobie; 05-12-2024 at 10:01 AM.

For the MCU yeah they need Spider-Man. For comics I really just want Spider-Man popularity in the real world to be reflective in the Marvel Universe so by joining the Avengers or not it depends on the story and writer
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Wolverine being on the New Avengers still bugs me. I know the main reason was because he was popular which led to the oversaturation of the character over the years. But the in universe reason of 'samurai warrior' still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. At least come up with a better reason on why he was there. The fact that Logan wanted to kill two kids as a Avenger (Wiccan and Hope Summers) and isn't kicked out of the team for it makes me question some of the choices the Avengers make. It also makes Clint a hypocrite when he was on the Thunderbolts. If Wolverine was on something like a Secret Avengers squad or something that wasn't so public I'd actually be more okay with that.

Spider-Man I'm more neutral. I think he functions as a team-up/part time member than a full time Avenger who shows up at the meetings. I guess my main issue with Spider-Man is he's always going to have an ongoing so how he's written on the different books might not be consistent. We're seeing that now in the current Avengers book. It's a good book but hardly any character development is happening. I feel with Spider-Man it would be too restrictive if he was an Avenger but they've done it before.

With all that said I don't think either need to be on Avengers team on a permanent basis. Team ups and part time membership is fine. Both Spidey and Wolvie are popular enough to carry their own brand.
    I guess it did fit the Bendis era Avengers where they were so reactive and hardcore at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It all comes down to a story. If there's some idea, then why not?
    I was kinda bothered by Wolverine being part of Avengers, because there barely was any explanation why he would join, and why Avengers would accept him, apart from ''he's popular, he has to be there'', though later it made way more sense when he took over Xavier's school and became a leader, because at very least it looked like Logan was kinda representing mutants in the system that was working back then.
    Spider-Man has always made sense, because he's bigger, than people in-universe (and apparently some fans as well) give him credit. He's a highly intelligent, the greatest superheroes admire and respect him, there's this constant narrative about him being the best, his rogue gallery is one of the most dangerous and terrifying. He's on this level, when he can be an Avenger and there should be no questions about why he's with them. And him being part of the team doesn't mean that he'll stop doing more grounded things.
    I always found Bendis' "explanation" of why Wolverine "belonged" in the Avengers one of the stupidest things I've ever read in comics (and that's saying a lot). So, WWII veteran Captain America and former arms dealer Tony Stark decide that they "need" a Wolverine on the team, to get his hands dirty when they don't feel like it. Yeah, genius!
    As for Spider-Man, his not belonging in the Avengers was always due to the internal logic of the Marvel Universe (actually, the same could be said for Wolverine. He is an Outsider, an anti-hero at best. While for most heroes lethal force is a last resouce, sometimes never even an option, for him it's almost always his opening move. He is not a good fit for Marvel's shiniest heroes). Sure, anyone that has read any Spider-Man story knows that in the MU there are few more deserving to be an Avengers than him, however, Stan Lee created Spider-Man to be the hard luck hero, the one for whom things never work as they should, as he deserved. His good deeds never go unpunished. No matter how many he saves, people always see him with suspiscion if not outright distrust. How can you keep this up when you place him in the team of Marvel's most trusted and idolized heroes, its most prominent super-hero team? (Many make the arguement that this reasoning went out of the window when he married a super-model like MJ, but I disagree. There was a good story there, and brought up other problems for Peter.)
    I highly enjoy Spider-Man's interactions with the Avengers, however, I don't think he should be a member of the team. As for Wolverine, the translation of his real world popularity to his Marvel Universe interactions, IMHO, ruined the character. People should NOT want to be his buddies. In fact, HE shouldn't want to interact much with people. He should always be the outcast, the rebel, the loner, not the team player. He worked in X-Men because THEY are supposed to be a team of outcast. And, even there, he should be an unconfortable fit. That is what, IMHO, made the character stand out. I stand by my initial NO!!!!, answer. Just my two cents.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 05-13-2024 at 06:35 AM.

Wolverine and Spider-Man can certainly guest star, helping out on a specific mission but showing how their styles clash with the Avengers. They really don't fit.
    Just put Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Deadpool in their own book and watch it sell(?).
    The Avengers roster right now are the MCU big guns. If they can't make the book sell, what can?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Wolverine and Spider-Man can certainly guest star, helping out on a specific mission but showing how their styles clash with the Avengers. They really don't fit.
    Just put Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Deadpool in their own book and watch it sell(?).
    The Avengers roster right now are the MCU big guns. If they can't make the book sell, what can?
    It was a different time back then. The Avengers did not have as much cache, and adding Spider-Man and Wolverine to the group really helped elevate the brand. It didn’t hurt that Bendis was firing on all cylinders at the time, either.

Now? The Avengers are a household name. I don’t think Spidey and Wolverine elevate them any more. They just need a great creative team that is allowed to cook by editorial.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

It didn’t hurt that Bendis was firing on all cylinders at the time, either.
    Was he really? I mean, there were multiple issues where the Avengers were having trouble with regular ninjas and had to get outside help. Frankly, he may have been popular (although I still can't understand why) but he never really understood the book he was writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Was he really? I mean, there were multiple issues where the Avengers were having trouble with regular ninjas and had to get outside help. Frankly, he may have been popular (although I still can't understand why) but he never really understood the book he was writing.
    He’s released some REAL stinkers in more recent years, but his time on Avengers was probably my all time favorite.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    He’s released some REAL stinkers in more recent years, but his time on Avengers was probably my all time favorite.
    That's because he's in DC. He should return to Marvel Comics, and everything will be fine again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    The current line-up I believe are Sam Wilson Captain America, Thor, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Captain Marvel, Iron Man... and maybe Black Panther?
    I like several of these characters (Wanda, T'Challa, Stark) I guess I am just burnt out on the same pool of characters always chosen for the lineups.

My personal favorite lineups were the "Kooky Quartet" and the early West Coast Avengers team. Characters that are maybe not really strong enough to maintain a solo book, but still pretty interesting.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

QFT. IMHO, of course.

Peace

He had some good stories but there were times when his Avengers kinda read more like a Defenders book.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    He had some good stories but there were times when his Avengers kinda read more like a Defenders book.
    I don't think it's a surprise he kept trying to make the New Avengers as street level as possible.