Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Default New 'Lord of the Rings Film' in the works

So watchyall think? Good or Bad?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...b0f1cd4e&ei=42

The logical part of me screams bad and the LotR's lover in me is a bit curious. Though, I didn't touch the show.

Wait and see; I thought the Hobbit movies were alright, so I'm not opposed to more due to thinking that the series has already declined. I guess my most nuanced opinion is that I really don't think we need anymore movies and there's a real chance that the studio is just trying to strip mine the IP for profit rather than any artistic merit. I'm also not sure how a Hunt for Gollum movie could fit with the original movies (they wrote that out in the the process of streamlining the movies) but I doubt that it could stand alone as a reboot project, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, if anyone could pull it off, it's Jackson, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt until there's reason not to do so.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Rather see Jackson do a take on Sillmarilion.
    "When you've got so much to say, it's called gratitude /
    And that's right."
    -- Beastie Boys

It's kind of an interesting choice considering how badly the video game went, which also dealt with that time period and subject. They also shut down a fan film with the same name.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure where they stand with this since the death of Christopher Tolkien. JRR sold all the rights to his works, but because he never published the Silmarillion, that was up to Chris, who was famously douchy about it, refused to sell the film rights, and was an outspoken critic of the films that did get made, saying no films should ever be made (in spite of his father, the AUTHOR, selling them).

Now that Chris is gone, I'm not sure if the rights have gone to his son Simon, who is much friendlier to Hollywood. If so, we could see The Silmiarillion in the future. But I really don't know who has the rights now.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure where they stand with this since the death of Christopher Tolkien. JRR sold all the rights to his works, but because he never published the Silmarillion, that was up to Chris, who was famously douchy about it, refused to sell the film rights, and was an outspoken critic of the films that did get made, saying no films should ever be made (in spite of his father, the AUTHOR, selling them).

Now that Chris is gone, I'm not sure if the rights have gone to his son Simon, who is much friendlier to Hollywood. If so, we could see The Silmiarillion in the future. But I really don't know who has the rights now.
    Yeah.

Aren't the rites for all things Tolkien split weirdly now?
    "When you've got so much to say, it's called gratitude /
    And that's right."
    -- Beastie Boys

Hm...the little bit of this I heard about the other day said that Serkis was slated to direct, and I thought that a bit...odd. But I didn't research further.

Glad to find out Jackson's attached.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Wait and see; I thought the Hobbit movies were alright, so I'm not opposed to more due to thinking that the series has already declined. I guess my most nuanced opinion is that I really don't think we need anymore movies and there's a real chance that the studio is just trying to strip mine the IP for profit rather than any artistic merit. I'm also not sure how a Hunt for Gollum movie could fit with the original movies (they wrote that out in the the process of streamlining the movies) but I doubt that it could stand alone as a reboot project, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, if anyone could pull it off, it's Jackson, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt until there's reason not to do so.
    Yeah, I've been thinking the possibility of them doing it for the bucks and not just interested in making a good movie. Fitting it in with the other films will be tricky. They will really have to put on their thinking caps.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'd love to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I'm sorry. I looked to see if anyone else started a thread about this but could not find one.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 05-14-2024 at 02:58 AM.

Best of luck. At least they've got Peter Jackson.