Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^The Inhumans in their own universe (or even a shared one that wasn’t Marvel) could be pretty interesting.

I mean, I’d def. take a look at that comic.
    I felt like the Jenkins/Lee 12-parter back in 1998 (I think it came out under the Marvel Knights banner?) was pretty close to what this might look like - I'd have to re-read, but if memory serves, there weren't any outside characters, aside from the humans who found Attilan.

I'd check it out as well - Eternals and Inhumans have always been my personal two favourite Marvel franchises - but I think history has already proven that Marvel could take them out of the regular continuity and still do something interesting with them. a move like that would probably make more financial sense for them than selling off the rights completely, but I'm not an economics major either lol, so what do I know?

They can license it out, like that time when IDW did Marvel Action.

No to outright selling it though.

Incredible Member

No.

The thing is the Inhumans as a concept have potential, the problem is that Marvel only ever wants to focus on the charisma vacuums that are the Royal Family (of which only 2 are really interesting) who have proven to be as unlikeable as they are unpopular. At the end of the day the Inhumans are pretty much just the X-Men in space operating under an arguably more successful society than they presently have. Rather than always trying to shoehorn them into events on Earth, a place they have neither any interest nor business being, it makes more sense for the Inhumans to be part of the wider cosmic universe as another faction running around the galaxy, especially after the massive population boom they got when they started introducing the universal inhumans into the wider landscape.

Likewise I really liked the idea of the NuHumans and thought the concept was mostly handle fairly well apart from all the secret inhuman societies operating on earth that started popping up beneath everybody's noses. Had marvel not tried to use them to replace the X-Men and used a different allegory to market them like immigration or cultural heritage they might been more successful, as is I still think we got some pretty good characters out of that era in the form of Ms. Marvel, Inferno, Mosiac, Iso, Reader, Nur, Grid, Naja, Lash, Lineage, and Flint. Personally I still think this concept could work with a bit of tweaking, particularly since I've never agreed with the NuHumans never forming their own society in favor of relocating to Attilan just to be subservient to a Royal Family no one ever heard of and whose country is a single city.

No, they shouldn't.

Astonishing Member

Inhumans is a more interesting concept, than lets say the Avengers or FF or any other team, except the X-Men maybe. So, they should get a good writer and continue their storys without much interference of the rest of the Marvel universe.

Selling the ip wouldn't do Marvel any good. Selling an ip is never good, you better get your lazy butt up and do something with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Money...
    Really? How much is the property worth now? What is its potential worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Why buy? Because it would be an investment. Buy something for a cheap price, and turn it into something valuable. If a smaller company could buy the Inhumans, it would have much potential. You would have a "anyone anywhere may actually be an Inhuman" (like mutants), a team to start from, and a setting that can lead to Game of Thrones stuff. And the hostility towards them would vanish if managed by someone who does not even have the X-Men and has to work just with the Inhumans.

Why would Marvel sell them? Because they're doing nothing with them, they generate no money for them, and doing that would at least give a quick money. Why they don't do it? Because they are not fools. If a random person from somewhere like me can figure out the previous paragraph, then they clearly would as well.
    So if you accept that one entity would see value in buying them then you need to acknowledge the sellers see it has value. So, again, why give away that value? The amount Disney would sell the property for would be well over the amount another company would pay, based on current value of the brand. Marvel sold other properties because they were desperate. That's not the case here. It's just a nonsensical business move.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    So if you accept that one entity would see value in buying them then you need to acknowledge the sellers see it has value. So, again, why give away that value? The amount Disney would sell the property for would be well over the amount another company would pay, based on current value of the brand. Marvel sold other properties because they were desperate. That's not the case here. It's just a nonsensical business move.
    And how much would they get out of it? 20 million? 50 Million? Even a 100 Million wouldn't do them much good. Disney pisses a 100 million after morning coffee.

Quicksilver would reach a new, unheard of level of divorced: ex-wife took the kid to another publishing house

To clarify, my explanation of "Why would Marvel sell them?" is more of a "Why does the OP even think that Marvel would sell the Inhumans to begin with?". I understand what he was thinking, but I don't consider it a realistic scenario, that's why I followed with "Why they don't do it?"

Mighty Member

Why? Would you rather see the properties get in used again by other properties or just throw in a limbo for 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Quicksilver would reach a new, unheard of level of divorced: ex-wife took the kid to another publishing house
    That's funny, but I'd be more interested in who Crystal might end up with.

More like QS ? They have a number of Flashes and speedsters

But they don't have someone really like the Torch or do they?

Again, no to this idea.

The Inhumans belong here and deserve better treatment here. Even as a niche or whatever.

Maybe it would be better off to have a story about their deeper past.

Leave the Royals and others alone and focus on a past that showed

how the various sub-or homogenized Inhumans (Bird people, undersea types even) formed their own communities.

More about their ancient culture, possible interactions with what we know of the past:

Celestials and Eternals, but

Deviants, Monster Isle, ancient Atlantis or Lemuria,

other space races that may have come to Earth.

How the pressures of evolving humans drove them to hide in, beyond, etc.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

They should give the Inhumans to DC in exchange for a similarly-neglected property of theirs. Something like the Metal Men, where there's not an immediate redundancy like you might get with something like the Doom Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    I felt like the Jenkins/Lee 12-parter back in 1998 (I think it came out under the Marvel Knights banner?) was pretty close to what this might look like - I'd have to re-read, but if memory serves, there weren't any outside characters, aside from the humans who found Attilan.

I'd check it out as well - Eternals and Inhumans have always been my personal two favourite Marvel franchises - but I think history has already proven that Marvel could take them out of the regular continuity and still do something interesting with them. a move like that would probably make more financial sense for them than selling off the rights completely, but I'm not an economics major either lol, so what do I know?
    I think the FF, Namor, and maybe even Captain America appeared in this series.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver