Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is not exactly true.

She held at least 2 50 issue runs.

Some of her trades (mainly the Kelly Sue DeConnick era that dominate trade sales).

Also some of those runs were stopped due to Marvel events that derailed other books as well.

Folks want to toss that false narrative with her but not MOON KNIGHT-where folks joked about his runs restarting over and over again as well.
    But when did any of those runs really catch the publics eye? When did she blow up during that time? Moon knigh thas very little to do with this comparison between Carol's exposure and storm's prominence.

I agree that relaunches aren’t an uncommon sales tactic (especially now) but I do believe Marvel gave Carol many more chances than they would’ve given most other characters. Because they wanted her to be the next big thing.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I hate thwm saying she needs to be among equals. The X-men are her equals and her Family its just the Avengers. And them saying she csnt be on a xteam if she isn tthe leader. Have they read Xmen she has followed Cyclops alot. They are using the Goddess line more then they should. Inwish she was on one of the 3 X-men books to be honest
    Plus Thor is on this team and he is an actual God, not a human born mortal who got lucky with the X-Gene to give her Godlike powers. Thor is quite willing to work alongside equals and defer to their leadership, despite being a ageless old deity and currently King of the Gods.

If Thor has no problem playing with others than the idea that Storm is "above all this" is quite literal nonsense.

Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

Ah, so it's Storm! While it looks like a boss move on paper, it's more like a desperation move by Jed MacKay and editorial to see if Storm and X-Men fans will support his failing Avengers comics. Nobody is reading MacKay's Avengers, and I am not sure even the addition of Storm can change that. We just heard Brevoort say that they didn't use Storm on an X-Team proper because it would make sense for her to not be the leader, so then will she just be a sidekick to Thor or an antagonist to T'Challa? Rubbish!

Jed MacKay is working on too many books at once IMO, and they are all bound to be mediocre just like his Avengers, and Doctor Strange books. I didn't initially have high hopes for his X-Men run, and if he will be working on seven books at once, I really don't have high expectations.

Yay for Ororo fans though if you are happy with her being in a mediocre book by a mediocre, overextended writer.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Plus Thor is on this team and he is an actual God, not a human born mortal who got lucky with the X-Gene to give her Godlike powers. Thor is quite willing to work alongside equals and defer to their leadership, despite being a ageless old deity and currently King of the Gods.

If Thor has no problem playing with others than the idea that Storm is "above all this" is quite literal nonsense.
    Storm is actually a demigoddess not just a mutant.

This is passive aggressive and canonically false. Thor himself is regularly written down while with the Avengers...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post
    Ah, so it's Storm! While it looks like a boss move on paper, it's more like a desperation move by Jed MacKay and editorial to see if Storm and X-Men fans will support his failing Avengers comics. Nobody is reading MacKay's Avengers, and I am not sure even the addition of Storm can change that. We just heard Brevoort say that they didn't use Storm on an X-Team proper because it would make sense for her to not be the leader, so then will she just be a sidekick to Thor or an antagonist to T'Challa? Rubbish!

Jed MacKay is working on too many books at once IMO, and they are all bound to be mediocre just like his Avengers, and Doctor Strange books. I didn't initially have high hopes for his X-Men run, and if he will be working on seven books at once, I really don't have high expectations.

Yay for Ororo fans though if you are happy with her being in a mediocre book by a mediocre, overextended writer.
    There is a segment that will be happy about this. Me, I am cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    This is passive aggressive and canonically false. Thor himself is regularly written down while with the Avengers...
    That is my point yes. It's the nature of team books.

Thor in his book can be given all manor of feats like moving across galaxies 12 times the speed of light, strong enough to hold entire worlds together so they don't shatter, and can generate enough power that he can blow up a star.

Because regardless of how Godlike he is he still has to be parred down so he doesn't automatically make everyone else unnecessary. Its competitive balance, everyone's gotta take a little nerf to work with others. Hell in the recent Blood Hunt both Thor and Scarlet Witch got taken down by new foes specifically modified to defeat them fast.

Storm is no different. She will be as powerful as she needs to be to fit the story and will be as fallible as everyone else. She warrants no special treatment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Kinda odd how people talk about Cyclops when the topic is about Storm joining the Avengers.
    Is there some jealousy or what?
    Agreed, I have no idea why every thread has to turn into the Cyclops thread. This is exactly why I have no sympathy for his fans who bemoan how he's been "reduced" in stature over the last few years. The dark age was an outlier and the worst period for the X-Men because it revolved entirely around him.

surprised that thor is still there, but who’s the lady in purple? edit; apparently wanda.
    Last edited by protege; 05-14-2024 at 04:41 PM.

BANNED

This is a proud, proud day for Storm fans. She's finally joining the big leagues. Her last stint on the Avengers was very disappointing because they promised a lot and gave her nothing to do before kicking her off the team for her to go back to the mutant terrorists calling themselves X-Men.

This new relaunch feels like they finally recognize her prestige and status in the MU. It's the perfect calling for Storm.

That is my point yes. It's the nature of team books.

Thor in his book can be given all manor of feats like moving across galaxies 12 times the speed of light, strong enough to hold entire worlds together so they don't shatter, and can generate enough power that he can blow up a star.

Because regardless of how Godlike he is he still has to be parred down so he doesn't automatically make everyone else unnecessary. Its competitive balance, everyone's gotta take a little nerf to work with others. Hell in the recent Blood Hunt both Thor and Scarlet Witch got taken down by new foes specifically modified to defeat them fast.

Storm is no different. She will be as powerful as she needs to be to fit the story and will be as fallible as everyone else. She warrants no special treatment.
    But why try to discredit Storm's divinity in the process?

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Cause I haven't kept up Storm hasn't been retconned right? She's still a mutant and this is just a fan being excited right?
    storm is a literal goddess, sorceress who is also a mutant. nothing has been retconned. she was never just a mutant.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    This is a proud, proud day for Storm fans. She's finally joining the big leagues. Her last stint on the Avengers was very disappointing because they promised a lot and gave her nothing to do before kicking her off the team for her to go back to the mutant terrorists calling themselves X-Men.

This new relaunch feels like they finally recognize her prestige and status in the MU. It's the perfect calling for Storm.
    I am not convinced this is the big league. How is joining a team with your deposed ex cheeseburger and Cthon's librarian a step up when she was the voice of sol?

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    But why try to discredit Storm's divinity in the process?
    That I will apologize for, that was rude of me, sorry.

But if the Avengers has plenty of Gods among their membership (Hercules and Ares included) then a Goddess really shouldn't be an issue.