Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

Am I the only one who thought this episode was great? Was it as good as the beginning of season 1, not really, but it was pretty good! I liked what he did with Charles and Magneto and their nostalgic trip into Magneto's mind.

I also loved how the team performed together in the final battle. For those complaining about Storm, I think she was handled pretty well overall in this episode. They didn't really show how she came out of the water, but they didn't need to. The point is that she didn't die.

I think a few queens in the X-Men fanbase are spoiled by Al Ewing's overpowered, God-Mother, Slaaaay Kweeeeen version we just saw in X-Men Red. She ate that entire book, and rightfully so as she was really the main character of that book. But here, she is a team member, and as such she wasn't going to get those moments where she cleared the entire level with her powers. I think she had a decent role in the final battle.

Loved all the cameos, and I don't think it was overkill to throw in so many elements from the comics. They seemed random and haphazard, but don't forget they have to truncate everything to fit it into these small "seasons". The show hit all the marks with me as a fan who has been reading the books for a long time.

I was pleased with this ending and the setups, and I am old, and usually hate everything.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    TAS - Everyone got focus on the original show and it wasn't as Wolverine focused as internet ppl claim. Just because he was in the most episodes don't mean he was the main character.

he had two hours more screen time then the next highest character and the most solo episodes. he was definitely the most prominent character the creator of the show even said that in his book on the series come on now
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Absolutely 100%. This was Magneto and the X-Men revisionist writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post
    Am I the only one who thought this episode was great?
    the show is gonna be picked apart to hell very soon. we’re never satisfied
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Kinda upset they didnt add Suspot to the intro credits. Considering Storm got an updated shot with her new costume, I was also hoping the rest would

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I have to ask this... if I'm understanding this correctly, the reason Wolverine played a lesser role in this show was because of his prominence in the movies, yeah? Ok, so explain the Magneto wank. Didn't he also play a big role in all the X-Men movies(even the ones Wolverine wasn't in)? Magneto gets so much focus in this show at the expense of others(Storm, Gambit, Beast, Bishop, etc.) and yet everyone is ok with it. Speaking of Magneto wank, apparently he's more powerful than the combined might of Storm, Jean, and Rogue while injured. With that said, I still love the show(the animation team is killin it), but I won't miss that Beau Demayonase(however you spell his name) contributions on this show.
    Not the movies just in generally Marvel pushed Wolverine everywhere. It's the reason they forced Laura to use the Wolverine mantle when she had a whole comic about not being a Wolverine clone and finding her own identity. Marvel will push something til people start pushing back. That said Demayo seems like a dude who likes to push the diva characters like Magneto. It really felt like Demayo exploited the Xmen trying to tell a Magneto story. He admitted he pulled out old computers of his and found his old fanfic stories after getting the show. I keep saying a lot of Xmen fans of today aren't xmen fans. They would have hated the old show because xmen are usually calmer and they like this show cause everyone kinda loses it a bit. They think " Magneto was right"

I'm pretty sure Magneto taking over Xmen was Chris Claremonts idea too. I wonder how angry he would be if Beau jacked his idea lol
    Last edited by Gripstir; 05-15-2024 at 09:14 AM.

Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Not the movies just in generally Marvel pushed Wolverine everywhere. It's the reason they forced Laura to use the Wolverine mantle when she had a whole comic about not being a Wolverine clone and finding her own identity. Marvel will push something til people start pushing back. That said Demayo seems like a dude who likes to push the diva characters like Magneto. It really felt like Demayo exploited the Xmen trying to tell a Magneto story. He admitted he pulled out old computers of his and found his old fanfic stories after getting the show. I keep saying a lot of Xmen fans if today aren't xmen fans. They would have hated the old show because xmen are usually calmer and they like this show cause everyone kinda loses it a bit
    As a longtime X-Men fan, I disagree with your assessment of Beau DeMayo. Much of the X-Men's 1990s arc and motivations centered around Magneto, so how could he not be centered in a depiction of that? I saw no exploitation of any kind here, what I saw was things being written as close to canon and history as possible within the confines of a 35 minute streaming cartoon.

Everyone seems to be turning on Beau DeMayo now at the end of this season, and I feel like they are going to regret it once newer seasons without him are released. With DeMayo, at least we got things in canon. The feminists left in the writers room are going to pretty much shred the show(much like they did to the comics industry) and start inserting all kinds of social messaging into the show should the series continue past season 2.

Disney execs will start mandating adding social messaging above character and story and those left in the producers chair will oblige, which will be the thing that ultimately tanks X-Men 97 as a series. Write this down and remember it, with Beau DeMayo gone, this is what is inevitable for the series.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    he had two hours more screen time then the next highest character and the most solo episodes. he was definitely the most prominent character the creator of the show even said that in his book on the series come on now
    Actual speaking lines or appearance because I can think of several episodes of the OG where Wolverine appeared in an episode, but was very minor. It didn't become Wolverine heavy until the 4th season and I assume it was because of actor availability since the show was recorded in Canada(where Wolverine's voice actor recides). Wolverine appears in more episodes than Cyclops in this show, but no one will claim he was more prominent here.
    Last edited by Sin Nick; 05-15-2024 at 09:19 AM.

As a longtime X-Men fan, I disagree with your assessment of Beau DeMayo. Much of the X-Men's 1990s arc and motivations centered around Magneto, so how could he not be centered in a depiction of that? I saw no exploitation of any kind here, what I saw was things being written as close to canon and history as possible within the confines of a 35 minute streaming cartoon.
    Did it? Magneto was dead for large parts of the 90s. Claremont killed him off within the first 3 issues only for him to come back in Fatal Attraction, be comtatosed and seemingly soon after. He makes a shocking return at the end o Gambit's trial and isnt seen again until the end of the 90s with the Magneto War. Magneto wasnt really used much in the 90s, especially compared to the 80s that preceeded it. Magneto's presence was most felt with his Acolytes and supporters than he as a character himself in the 90s comics, but they were largely absent this series

All-New Member

Am I the only one who thought this episode was great? Was it as good as the beginning of season 1, not really, but it was pretty good! I liked what he did with Charles and Magneto and their nostalgic trip into Magneto's mind.

I also loved how the team performed together in the final battle. For those complaining about Storm, I think she was handled pretty well overall in this episode. They didn't really show how she came out of the water, but they didn't need to. The point is that she didn't die.

I think a few queens in the X-Men fanbase are spoiled by Al Ewing's overpowered, God-Mother, Slaaaay Kweeeeen version we just saw in X-Men Red. She ate that entire book, and rightfully so as she was really the main character of that book. But here, she is a team member, and as such she wasn't going to get those moments where she cleared the entire level with her powers. I think she had a decent role in the final battle.

Loved all the cameos, and I don't think it was overkill to throw in so many elements from the comics. They seemed random and haphazard, but don't forget they have to truncate everything to fit it into these small "seasons". The show hit all the marks with me as a fan who has been reading the books for a long time.

I was pleased with this ending and the setups, and I am old, and usually hate everything.
    It's not about being overpowered. STORM was capable of doing everything she did in Xmen Red and more. For years she was pushed to the side and given nothing to do. Al Ewing finally fixed Storm. Why is it that when she's shown in all her glory she's "overpowered" but if jean Vulcan and iceman do it, then it's OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Galacticcore View Post
    It's not about being overpowered. STORM was capable of doing everything she did in Xmen Red and more. For years she was pushed to the side and given nothing to do. Al Ewing finally fixed Storm. Why is it that when she's shown in all her glory she's "overpowered" but if jean Vulcan and iceman do it, then it's OK?
    Iceman do what? His main character arc for decades at this point is that he is capable of doing more than we actually see. He has potential but they rarely ever portray him as living up to that. Iceman definitely isnt a character thats written as OP

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    wen it comes to X-MEN it’s dam if u do dam if u don’t

they basically came close to killing him in ep 9. they weren’t gonna show him up and fighting again the next episode. if they did ppl would have complained about that.. save bone claw for next season. wolverine wasn’t missed in the finale imo or as a main character in the show
    Well, if they do that then maybe Season 2 will be better. Guess I’ll hope for that. As it stands, this felt as bad as Percy’s self insert with Wolverine in his books that fans were always complaining about, only with Beau and Magneto aka Drama King.

But oh well. It started out solid at least.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Mighty Member

Everyone seems to be turning on Beau DeMayo now at the end of this season, and I feel like they are going to regret it once newer seasons without him are released. With DeMayo, at least we got things in canon. The feminists left in the writers room are going to pretty much shred the show(much like they did to the comics industry) and start inserting all kinds of social messaging into the show should the series continue past season 2.

Disney execs will start mandating adding social messaging above character and story and those left in the producers chair will oblige, which will be the thing that ultimately tanks X-Men 97 as a series. Write this down and remember it, with Beau DeMayo gone, this is what is inevitable for the series.
    The thing I will give Demayo credit for I'd that he's actually educated on social matters and has a political science degree. Like Claremont who studied sociology you can present your ideas in interesting ways when you have knowledge of human behavior beyond your own experiences. There were a lot of moments of complexity in the show and I think he did refrain from certain choices less capable writers would have used. But I will say he was the lead writer and I am annoyed at this season. So saying I might not. Like the next writer isn't really a warning.

I will admit I have been a bit of a curmudgeon this season because i went 10 weeks without a single Gambit moment that I personally loved.

You think there was no social messaging in season 1? Maybe try rewatching it with the volume on?

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post

I will admit I have been a bit of a curmudgeon this season because i went 10 weeks without a single Gambit moment that I personally loved.
    this is what i want to know about… are a lot of ppls opinions online based on their favs not getting the showing they wanted