Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Spider-man '98

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    He loves MJ but hates Emma Frost?? That's a rare combination of like/dislike
    I think he doesn’t like Scott with Emma. My guess is he prefers the 90's ships. And Peter and MJ were the quintessential 90s Marvel couple. (Hell, they still are the quintessential Marvel couple.)

But yeah Emma and MJ have a lot in common though MJ... even at her spiciest... wasn't a villain. The bits of Emma in the show were good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    though MJ... even at her spiciest... wasn't a villain.
    It just feels like some creators and editors think she is sometimes.

BANNED

He loves MJ but hates Emma Frost?? That's a rare combination of like/dislike
    Fans like that do exist, case example being me. In fact, I've generally seen more Jean/MJ overlap than with the other.

Anyway Beau has good taste. People have been asking him on Twitter to do the Spider-Man revival show but he says that while he loves the character and property, he's not sure if he would be the right person for the job.

Beau also confirms that in his mind, when working on the show, all the animated shows are canon but that doesn't necessarily mean Marvel feels that way.
    https://twitter.com/BeauDemayo/statu...73233539125671

DeMayo would SLAP if put in charge of an animated show based on Renew Your Vows.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Fans like that do exist, case example being me. In fact, I've generally seen more Jean/MJ overlap than with the other.
    But it was Emma who gave MJ employment as Krakoan Medicine Ambassador. Jean would probably read MJ's mind and realize she ALWAYS knew Peter was Spidey and put in place an elaborate scheme to hook him, and then judgmentally hate her for it
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 05-16-2024 at 01:30 AM.

BANNED

But it was Emma who gave MJ employment as Krakoan Medicine Ambassador. Jean would probably read MJ's mind and realize she ALWAYS knew Peter was Spidey and put in place an elaborate scheme to hook him, and then judgmentally hate her for it
    I don't follow the current comics anymore and the sentence you wrote with "Krakoan Medicine Ambassador" is a great reason why lol.

Also I doubt Jean would have much of a problem with what MJ did to get Peter considering her own efforts to hook Scott before they even physically met as seen pictured below. In terms of the classic girl next door, they both fit the same trope here.

Both were also models, replaced by clones, had mermaid wedding gowns designed by real designers, had their weddings mandated to synergize with media outside the comics, had their marriages destroyed by Joe Q in order to "develop" the male characters, not allowed to have children in the 616 reality but have plenty of kids buzzing around in other realities, are romantically linked to Marvel's #1 and #2 most popular characters, and spoilers:
    are the female leads of the Insomniac games.
    end of spoilers Bendis wanted to have Jean join the New Avengers along with Wolverine in the 2000s, and if Joe Q had allowed that, we probably could have seen some good Jean/MJ moments from that period.

And in general, Marvel's most iconic romances act as the three main pillars of the MU: Reed/Sue, Scott/Jean, and Peter/MJ.

So it doesn't surprise me that Jean is Beau's favorite character and MJ his favorite cameo from the finale. A lot of overlap between Jean and MJ fans. I remember in the Renew Your Vows letter pages that this was pointed out as well when the X-Men guest-starred.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I think he doesn’t like Scott with Emma. My guess is he prefers the 90's ships. And Peter and MJ were the quintessential 90s Marvel couple.
    I like Not a Villain Emma too, but in every romantic scene I've seen with her and Scott they have the chemistry of platinum and neon.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

There's an equal number of parallels between MJ and Emma, if not more. Broken family, irresponsible father (in Emma's case, downright abusive), leading to severe daddy issues, coming to NYC to make a living but having to make a survival for themselves in a patriarchal society in their own ways, the alternative love interest to the more "ideal girl next door", which often leads to being slut-shamed from both in universe characters and real life fans, became the main love interest once the girl next door died, and Scemma have an alternate universe daughter too, and ditto for not being allowed to marry during the Quesada years.

Jean's short-lived model career and clone shenanigans have more in common with Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I like Not a Villain Emma too, but in every romantic scene I've seen with her and Scott they have the chemistry of platinum and neon.
    The world would be a better place if fans accepted that Jott worked for its time but the OTPs are Scott/Emma and Jean/Logan.

The compromise is Hickman's Krakoa polygamous family

BANNED

There's an equal number of parallels between MJ and Emma, if not more. Broken family, irresponsible father (in Emma's case, downright abusive), leading to severe daddy issues, coming to NYC to make a living but having to make a survival for themselves in a patriarchal society in their own ways, the alternative love interest to the more "ideal girl next door", which often leads to being slut-shamed from both in universe characters and real life fans, became the main love interest once the girl next door died, and Scemma have an alternate universe daughter too, and ditto for not being allowed to marry during the Quesada years.

Jean's short-lived model career and clone shenanigans have more in common with Gwen.

I don't see it. Jean and MJ both had sisters they had fraught relationships with and nieces/nephews as well. MJ ran away from her sister and her kids because their divorced life was too real for her. Jean's sister was also divorced and feared her kids would be mutants like Jean. Nothing is more dysfunctional than having your entire family wiped out and your mother saying she wishes you were never born right before being killed herself. Jean had extreme daddy issues in Dark Phoenix (for the five people who saw it) with him disowning her. Even in the comics, it's suggested that her father rejecting her in TDPS is the difference between her being dead versus alive in Rachel's reality where John Grey didn't cast Jean out. Jean was in a coma for years after her powers manifested and had to cope with the death of her best friend, Annie, just as MJ would years later with Gwen. People make out Jean to having a stable, loving home but that's only because Xavier was able to help her. Her secret identity was kept secret from her family until she had to become Phoenix to save her parents from Firelord, which shows the level of trust there. She was also the first X-Man to leave the school and go to college (Metro College with Johnny Storm and Wyatt Wingfoot) and had a psych degree besides her brief modeling career. She left the X-Men again in the ANAD era to prove she could have a life outside the team and lived in NYC with Misty Knight as a roommate, building her life on her own. Jean was also approached to act in her X-Factor years when the team became celebs.

MJ was literally the girl next door, not Gwen. Gwen lacked the familial aspect MJ had of being Aunt May's best friend and neighbor's niece. And people forget that Gwen started off rather cool and icy to Peter. MJ living next door to Peter is how she knew he was Spidey before she even formally met him, just as Jean's mind reached out to Scott in the orphanage years before they would meet. Scott and Jean's love was confirmed by Death to be necessary to save the universe from D'Ken and to help Jean put a stop to Dark Phoenix. And Nathan, the one prophesied to defeat Apocalypse. Meanwhile Mephisto confirmed Peter and MJ's marriage was the ultimate threat to him because their child was destined to destroy him. MJ plays the girl next door more often than Gwen especially in other media like the Ultimate Universe and Raimi films, the best known depiction of her to general audiences where she's literally described as the girl next door.

Gwen has clone drama, but so did MJ in TAS. That's twice the 90s shows replaced a redhead after marriage with a clone. The 90s, when Spider-Man and the X-Men ruled the industry, was all about clones and family drama. Peter and Ben with the impact on his marriage to MJ and losing their daughter as Norman Osborn engineered the whole Clone Saga behind the scenes. Sinister did the same with all the clones like Maddie and Stryfe and all the Summers-Grey lore that was expanded in the 90s like Cable, Askani, Nate Grey, etc. In the 90s, you could take art of MJ and she looked basically identical to Jean.

Both redheads rejected marriage proposals from their respective future husbands. MJ twice because she didn't want to be tied down and because she was anxious about Peter's double life. Jean turned Scott down because she didn't like the feeling of being predestined to marry him especially after memories of him proposing to her other incarnations, Phoenix and Maddie. Jean was an empowered enough woman that ultimately she proposed when she was ready, which was especially trailblazing in the 90s. Jean's daughter, Rachel, was the first of the famous alternate reality/adult version of kids to be given to a Marvel superhero couple. Just as MJ's daughter, Mayday, would become Marvel's first superheroine to have an ongoing series last 100 issues. Like their mothers, even their daughters were passing milestones.

Also under Joe Q, guess which two redheads were not allowed to be part of the perfect lives in House of M? He specifically targeted both of these two marriages, the two most iconic in the MU along with Reed/Sue. In both cases, he said it was to help the male character. Jean stayed dead for 14 years. MJ stopped being a series regular and everytime she bounced back in the book, it wasn't long before she bounced right back out again. Reed/Sue were only spared because the FF is considered sacrosanct as the family book. Jean and MJ are considered the poster children for fridged females from that 2000s/2010s era. Both considered too dominant and too powerful for fragile male egos that they had to pay the ultimate price.

Both Jean and MJ are easily two of the most iconic Marvel female characters across the globe, recognizable to just about everyone, which cannot be said for the fake blonde. There's a reason both Jean and MJ have Barbie dolls as well because they are on that iconic level of pop culture as A-listers in all forms of media. They stand along with Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Storm, etc.

BANNED

Peter has good taste. He knows which one reminds him of his OTP.

But I digress, since we're straying from the topic.

Mighty Member

I always thought of Jean as more of a parallel to Gwen Stacy than MJ. Especially as portrayed in the 60s as a more "traditional" female archetype and with her iconic death in the Phoenix Saga. Emma and MJ have commonalities in their roles in the Jean-Scott and Gwen-Peter relationships. But I can understand why some don't particularly like Emma given her very immoral past. MJ's greatest offenses were being self-centered, flirtatious, and catty whereas Emma was actually quite nasty, psychically/physically harming others, involved in kidnapping, facilitating sexual assault, and her relationship with Scott came about after some psychic meddling into his marriage that could be interpreted as her taking advantage of him. (And I say this as someone who really likes Emma.)

Regardless, I think the x-woman that MJ has most in common with is that sassy southern belle who calls people "sugah" and who avoids getting too close to those she cares about.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 05-16-2024 at 07:08 AM.

I just want to point out as far as Friendly Neighborhood is concerned that back when it was Freshman Year they let go of all their storyboard artists even before working on the announced season 2, so it might have indeed be a one-season wonder.

Also I love how we finally got to see MJ in her yellow sweater and purple pants design in animation with stellar production values. And Flash Thompson .

I feel like MJ would get along with most X-Women.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just want to point out as far as Friendly Neighborhood is concerned that back when it was Freshman Year they let go of all their storyboard artists even before working on the announced season 2, so it might have indeed be a one-season wonder.
    Given how the MCU as a whole seems to be changing course after the reception from 2021-2023, I wouldn't be surprised if FY/FN is one of those projects like The Marvels - something that will come out because it's already done and had too much money behind it, but not indicative of what Marvel wants to do going forward.

(Of course, if the show matches X-Men '97 in ratings and reception, they'll obviously bring those storyboard artists back).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Given how the MCU as a whole seems to be changing course after the reception from 2021-2023, I wouldn't be surprised if FY/FN is one of those projects like The Marvels - something that will come out because it's already done and had too much money behind it, but not indicative of what Marvel wants to do going forward.

(Of course, if the show matches X-Men '97 in ratings and reception, they'll obviously bring those storyboard artists back).
    Of course Marvel Studios is also the type of production to randomly use T'Chaka instead of T'Challa as Black Panther in an X-Men cartoon, against the creators' intentions, so who knows?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Of course Marvel Studios is also the type of production to randomly use T'Chaka instead of T'Challa as Black Panther in an X-Men cartoon, against the creators' intentions, so who knows?
    I feel like that's different? Yeah, it sucks and it's kinda dumb, but that has more to do with misguided politics surrounding an actor's death.

It's just that right now you have Marvel killing it with X-Men '97, Sony killing it with Spider-Man animation on the big screen and announcing a Nic Cage show, Bruce Timm's Batman making a comeback, and Invincible (a character heavily inspired by Spider-Man) becoming Prime Video's bread and butter.

With all that going on, it's kinda hard to imagine no one at Disney/Marvel right now going "Hey, why don't we try something equally ambitious with Spider-Man?"

(I get that Marvel drops the ball with Spider-Man a lot but the Quesada team isn't involved in the film/TV side anymore).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-16-2024 at 08:10 AM.