Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Vintage Wolfsbane figure...

Last edited by Thirteen; 05-15-2024 at 06:26 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Definitely "Rahne" = "Rain", EVOLUTION is incorrect or at least using a different pronunciation in their universe. Disappointing detail for an otherwise solid universe.
    Ironically EVO featured a brown skinned Amara, who is the character featured in the best example of pronunciation proof with Rahne back in her (Amara's) first appearance...

Reposting a theory I had about the animation pronunciation change from a few pages back...
    Rawney was the way I pronounced it before I came across the official pronunciation of her name. And thanks for that image of Magma. I was wondering why she was dark skinned in this cartoon. I forgot that she was introduced as being indigenous to the readers.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Rawney was the way I pronounced it before I came across the official pronunciation of her name. And thanks for that image of Magma. I was wondering why she was dark skinned in this cartoon. I forgot that she was introduced as being indigenous to the readers.
    Magma tangent: I think EVOLUTION went with a version of Amara that is simply Brazilian instead of using the Nova Roma storyline to have blonde (British?) caucasian Amara be from that region.

Magma tangent: I think EVOLUTION went with a version of Amara that is simply Brazilian instead of using the Nova Roma storyline to have blonde (British?) caucasian Amara be from that region.
    The British thing was just Selene messing with everyone for the lols.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    The British thing was just Selene messing with everyone for the lols.
    Loved how Claremont retconned that in one panel.

Uhm, there are plenty of white Brazilians. We were colonized by Europeans just like the US.
    They wouldn't need the Nova Roma storyline to explain why she's blonde.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Uhm, there are plenty of white Brazilians. We were colonized by Europeans just like the US.
    I think they wanted to also diversify the New Mutants bc outside of Sunspot and Jubilee, it was largely white.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think they wanted to also diversify the New Mutants bc outside of Sunspot and Jubilee, it was largely white.
    I do love Evolution Amara. I'm just shocked by how some have very narrow knowledge of cultures outside the US and Europe. Reminds me of when I lived in Italy and people would constantly express shock that I was white and Brazilian.
    Or the American girl who didn't know where Brazil was located in the map

I do love Evolution Amara. I'm just shocked by how some have very narrow knowledge of cultures outside the US and Europe. Reminds me of when I lived in Italy and people would constantly express shock that I was white and Brazilian.
    Or the American girl who didn't know where Brazil was located in the map
    Keep running with that assumption, I guess, if the shocked feeling suits you.

Funny that X97 seemed to go that direction as well and make Sunspot's mother brown skinned rather than the pale ginger we met in the comics. Was looking for a Sunspot thread and found none...

Someone needs to make a New mutants appreciation thread. I need Rahne to be in a book PLEASE.

Correct me if wrong but I always thought Roberto's mother was American in the comics

When was the last time Rahne turned into many dogs?
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Keep running with that assumption, I guess, if the shocked feeling suits you.

Funny that X97 seemed to go that direction as well and make Sunspot's mother brown skinned rather than the pale ginger we met in the comics. Was looking for a Sunspot thread and found none...
    It's not an assumption Lol. I'm literally talking about my experiences.
    The assumption is from your part, that Evolution Amara had darker skin to match her Brazilian heritage, as if she couldn't be white and Brazilian.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    When was the last time Rahne turned into many dogs?
    i know she did so in Vita's NM run

It's not an assumption Lol. I'm literally talking about my experiences.
    The assumption is from your part, that Evolution Amara had darker skin to match her Brazilian heritage, as if she couldn't be white and Brazilian.
    I'd put the assumption that a Brazilian character was given a more perceived stereotypical Brazilian appearance rather than caucasian to accentuate her background as being in the reasonable area. Because, why the change otherwise? Assuming that positing that a darker skinned and haired character might be intended to visually reflect an ethnicity is the result of being "Uhm" ignorant of the existence of other physical types, not so much. YMMV.

A brownwashing rather than whitewashing of a character. I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightpryde View Post
    Someone needs to make a New mutants appreciation thread. I need Rahne to be in a book PLEASE.
    AGREED. Hoping Rahne is around the edges of the lineups that we've heard about where the casts are said to be larger than featured on the covers teased.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 05-16-2024 at 09:49 AM.