Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I think the powers are metaphors not literal in terms of themes. But in terms of morph the scenes with ligan there's almost always a shapeshift into a character Logan has history with, especially waiting to prey on Logan when he's weak. And again going back to the hypno aspect of subliminal messaging inherent in Morph's character but also the writing choices by Beau Demayo
    "Prey on Logan when he's weak"? C'mon...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I really think the show was done all wrong. You could have made it a direct continuation with accurate characterization and made it kid friendly and hired the OG crew, but nooooooo. We have to pander to the people who nitpick that the first series didn't have blood and Wolverine carving people up. And terrible departures from canon that can only come from the idea that the writers didn't watch the first series. It disgusts me that people are so entitled that they would cut off new kids from enjoying a show because you want the show they got into as a kid Invinciblified. Truly selfish individuals. The first series managed to make it mature and adults could fully enjoy it.
    These cartoons nowadays are competing with anime for these kids viewership, which have a hundred times more blood and cursing in a kids shonēn than what was shown this season in X-Men ‘97. It’s not the 90s any more.

I think the powers are metaphors not literal in terms of themes. But in terms of morph the scenes with ligan there's almost always a shapeshift into a character Logan has history with, especially waiting to prey on Logan when he's weak. And again going back to the hypno aspect of subliminal messaging inherent in Morph's character but also the writing choices by Beau Demayo
    Look, just because someone has romantic feelings for you, does not mean every action they do comes with the intent of trying to take advantage of them.

It's possible to be a friend, care about someone and harbor romantic feelings at the same time.

Heck there is a more dubious scenario already at play in the series with Wolverine and Jean. Wolverine is in love with a married woman and Jean is highly conflicted due to her memories. Is Wolverine predatory to Jean in 97'? I would say he crosses some boundaries at times, but no, especially since he turns her down when he knows she's not in a good headspace.

Who said it's okay for some of you ppl to let your opinions about Morph and non-binary folks to be known? The self-tell is amazing

Anyway, this is why I agree with the VA. Making unrequited pining for a "straight" as the primary romantic angle for a queer character is outdated and leads to banal conversations like these last few pages.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    There's also the fact that a straight man pining for a woman and a queer person pining for a straight man are not in an equal position, especially not in that time period.
    Logan is short he is not above anyone

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    "Prey on Logan when he's weak"? C'mon...

I think this show is heavily predatory. Magneto and Rogue un the same fashion. It's why I said I don't think the gay community should be looking at this show for representation.

There's other context to this. A small but very telling choice about the tone of the show is Rogues butt (OK �� OK hear me out I have a point beyond just anger over taking Rogue from cakes to pancakes) . Before the show there was heavy emphasis by the show that Rogue would no longer br viewed through a male gaze because it was demeaning. But then you look at the show you see Magneto chained up in his underwear, professor x calling himself a pet, Gambit in a crop top, even Logan in the shower. There was a heavy emphasis on objectifying and sexualizing the male characters for a gay audience. So the show itself has been emphasizing taking straight male characters and turning them into the
    love interests with queer undertones. I don't think we disagree about the show having those undertones correct?

Now let's look at Morph through a writers pen. There's several tropes angry writers employ. Many write the high school bully as secretly gay as a coping mechanism. Others write themselves into female characters. But one trope we see here that I hate is they write themselves as the friend who uses their closeness to try to develop intimacy. The fact Morph kept Morphing into Sabertooth or Jean is Morphs way of trying to force intimacy. And if we saw a guy use a friendship with a girl and routinely change himself to fit what the girl wants we would view him as creepy

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    These cartoons nowadays are competing with anime for these kids viewership, which have a hundred times more blood and cursing in a kids shonēn than what was shown this season in X-Men ‘97. It’s not the 90s any more.
    One thing I always criticize this show for, it's lack of pride. Trying to hijack anime because the industry is refusing to find qualified talent is sad, comics has always competed. Watching comics become anime has been sad for me. It shows the lack of fight in the comics medium

Extraordinary Member

One thing I always criticize this show for, it's lack of pride. Trying to hijack anime because the industry is refusing to find qualified talent is sad, comics has always competed. Watching comics become anime has been sad for me. It shows the lack of fight in the comics medium
    “You either bend with the wind, or you break.”
    Comics need to evolve and adapt with the times, or else they’ll become extinct.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Who said it's okay for some of you ppl to let your opinions about Morph and non-binary folks to be known? The self-tell is amazing

Anyway, this is why I agree with the VA. Making unrequited pining for a "straight" as the primary romantic angle for a queer character is outdated and leads to banal conversations like these last few pages.
    You could say the same about having Remy and Rogue have no personality beyond each other. I've routinely said the character work, in this show is garbage. I'm glad more people are realizing it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    “You either bend with the wind, or you break.”
    Comics need to evolve and adapt with the times, or else they’ll become extinct.
    Yeah but evolve into your own thing. Don't claim fans are the problem and routinely drive them away into anime which cares more about developing their art then try to steal anime while refusing to change story tropes or push characters that don't have broad appeal.

Yeah but evolve into your own thing. Don't claim fans are the problem and routinely drive them away into anime which cares more about developing their art then try to steal anime while refusing to change story tropes or push characters that don't have broad appeal.
    I don't think there's anything wrong from comics taking inspiration from anime. anime itself takes inspiration from other media too

I would have preferred they stayed away from time jumps or alt universes until season 4 or 5. I've never been into AoA. But overall this show was amazing and I'm very grateful that a childhood dream came true in seeing my favorite show redone in such an amazing way. It's the only reboot I've ever enjoyed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    If they were strangers, sure.

These are 2 buddies in a communal shower...
    I feel like people keep intentionally ignoring this point.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I feel like people keep intentionally ignoring this point.
    I was pretty much a sports guy in school and I will say there's no gayer place than a hetero lockerroom. But no that's not how the showers are. That's completely false

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong from comics taking inspiration from anime. anime itself takes inspiration from other media too
    Inspiration sure. But look at that Superman cartoon as well. It's all anime just coded the same way that is causing issues from comics. You can't steak the visual style of anime as the competitor. That's just wrong

I was pretty much a sports guy in school and I will say there's no gayer place than a hetero lockerroom. But no that's not how the showers are. That's completely false
    Same here. Maybe I have an odd relationship with my friends but Im not going up to them when they are naked and making jokes about pegging them nor would I expect them to do the same to me. That would make feel uncomfortable