Page 149 of 202 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 3023

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    I think I understood that reference. It's Naruto trying to appeal to Obito Uchiha's humanity right?
    yeah its very fitting actually
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Hey Cyclops fam!

So a few months ago I came and asked for some quintessential Cyclops stories that made you fall in love with him. And it really made a difference for me, and made a HUGE Cyclops fan out of me (when I really didn't like him at all before).

I am really appreciative of that, because I've gotten some great entertainment out of it.

So that leads me to my new question:

What do y'all think are his best -friendships-, and what runs can you point me to to see how that friendship really matters for Cyclops.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    Hey Cyclops fam!

So a few months ago I came and asked for some quintessential Cyclops stories that made you fall in love with him. And it really made a difference for me, and made a HUGE Cyclops fan out of me (when I really didn't like him at all before).

I am really appreciative of that, because I've gotten some great entertainment out of it.

So that leads me to my new question:

What do y'all think are his best -friendships-, and what runs can you point me to to see how that friendship really matters for Cyclops.
    His best friend has always been Jean and he's her best friend too but that is actually a romantic relationship so I guess Warren is his actual best friend. Silver age, Claremont stuff and Simonson's X-Factor really lean into that.
    He and Storm love each other dearly. Again Claremont shows that and it's also relevant again in the 90s and X-Men Regenesis.
    He also developed a close friendship with Laura and Kamala Khan when his younger self was displaced in the future. The two volumes of All-New X-Men show that and for his friendship with Ms. Marvel, you have to read Mark Waid's Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    His best friend has always been Jean and he's her best friend too but that is actually a romantic relationship so I guess Warren is his actual best friend. Silver age, Claremont stuff and Simonson's X-Factor really lean into that.
    He and Storm love each other dearly. Again Claremont shows that and it's also relevant again in the 90s and X-Men Regenesis.
    He also developed a close friendship with Laura and Kamala Khan when his younger self was displaced in the future. The two volumes of All-New X-Men show that and for his friendship with Ms. Marvel, you have to read Mark Waid's Champions.
    Also, in the early Bendis run, he develops his friendship with Magick - which is probably the best thing from that run, IMO. My headcanon is they unconsciously adopted each other as substitute siblings, as not only was Scott on the outs with Alec at that time, Yana was also at the lowest point in her relationship with Piotr. He actually asks Storm to kill her if they meet.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Also, in the early Bendis run, he develops his friendship with Magick - which is probably the best thing from that run, IMO. My headcanon is they unconsciously adopted each other as substitute siblings, as not only was Scott on the outs with Alec at that time, Yana was also at the lowest point in her relationship with Piotr. He actually asks Storm to kill her if they meet.
    Yana is more like the little sister he never had. We'll be getting more Cyclops and Magik moments soon

Tbh, while Scott is friendly with a lot of the X-Men, he's not the type to open up to most besides Jean (and to some extent, Emma). His brother Alex was his Best Man at his wedding to Jean, but over the years their relationship has gotten rocky. Funnily enough, I'd say the next person he's more open with is Logan.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Duggan actually had a good thing going with Scott and Ev, which basically disappeared once Old Laura came back.

"Friendship means little when it's convenient."

Scott doesn't really have many friends that stick around when really needed.

Only Emma stuck with him in the worst of times. Then Jean. Then everyone else(so basically no one).

I don't like to be this down, but Scott really needs better friends.

Logan is most certainly not one of those guys. It's why I hate their so called "friendship".

Forced conflicts are bad, but so is forced friendships.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

A very nasty consequence of the whole pariah era for the character.

They really wanted to turn Cyclops into "Mutant Hitler" and have everyone either hate him or disavow his actions. A very detestable era for many reasons, this among them.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    "Friendship means little when it's convenient."

Scott doesn't really have many friends that stick around when really needed.

Only Emma stuck with him in the worst of times. Then Jean. Then everyone else(so basically no one).

I don't like to be this down, but Scott really needs better friends.

Logan is most certainly not one of those guys. It's why I hate their so called "friendship".

Forced conflicts are bad, but so is forced friendships.
    I find this view of friendship to be very insular. Friendships will have their ups-and-downs. Friends will drift in and out of your life. And friends don't blindly follow you. You shouldn't expect them to sacrifice their own agency for you. They can and will have disagreements with you. The important thing is that, in one way or another, they add something to your life.

Concerning Logan, they were definitely not friends in the beginning. Comrades-in-arms and rivals for Jean's affection, but they grew to have a mutual respect for one other. I think nowadays, Logan is one of the people Scott would trust the most.

With the X-Men, the lines of friendship, family, and co-workers are often blurred. They see each other all the time, enjoy each other's company, and work towards a common goal. If anything, because of how many people Scott interacts with, he has a lot of friends. However, he only has a handful of close friends. Off the top of my head, I'd say Jean, Warren, Hank, Bobby, Ororo, Logan, and Emma. Scott has come into conflict with all of them at some point, but none of their friendships were diminished in the long run because of it.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I never really saw Scott and Logan as friends though they did seem to be at peace in the Lobdell/Fabien days but it to me seemed more like a grudging respect. There really wasn't anymore rivalry between him and Logan for Jean. That said...

Logan would never abide by any X-Man being pushed around by an Avenger. Even Scott. The dialogue is hilarious. From the first 'Secret Wars.'

Hawkeye is one of my favorite Avengers but he doesn't come off good here I admit.

A lot of people seem to view Scott and Logan's relationship the same way as it was decades ago, probably because of the movies and shows. Their relationship isn't static. During the Krakoa era, Logan lived in the Summer House with the rest of Scott's family and they even had a moment where Scott asked if he wanted to go on a trip with them.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    A lot of people seem to view Scott and Logan's relationship the same way as it was decades ago, probably because of the movies and shows. Their relationship isn't static. During the Krakoa era, Logan lived in the Summer House with the rest of Scott's family and they even had a moment where Scott asked if he wanted to go on a trip with them.
    My opinion has nothing to do with the TVs or shows. I started out with the comics. But that said I really think they have been trying hard to push the Logan/Scott "friendship" since Utopia, and it doesn't ring true to me. It's always seemed forced. Now if they tried to push it in the 90's. Note the comics, not the show. I may be able to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    As I said, forced/editorially mandated friendships are no better than forced/editorially mandated conflicts.

Now I mentioned the 90's it would have been more believable. Here's a scan.

I wish I could find the scan where Scott told logan that they were there for him - want it or not. But too much has happened since then like Casey, Morrison, Whedon, X-Force, Shism etc.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 05-17-2024 at 06:31 AM.