Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Cable was really over the top.
    The man already has his finger on the trigger.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The Liefeld era is my favorite.
    Ditto. The mystery of Cable & the introduction of Deadpool were truly captivating...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Adam Pollina X-FORCE Appreciation
    One of the top eras of the teams artwork, befitting the quirky road trip era under John Francis Moore and Jeph Loeb.

Last edited by Thirteen; 05-17-2024 at 07:05 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Early Greg Capullo X-FORCE Appreciation (before his own designs)

Last edited by Thirteen; 05-17-2024 at 07:05 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Ultimate Member

I was always a fan of young heroes, coming into their own, like the Legion of Super-Heroes or Teen Titans, over at DC, so the introduction of the New Mutants was fun for me. The old classic X-Men were no longer 'the strangest teens of them all' and had grown up, and while I also enjoyed them as adult heroes, I was hankering for that young hero vibe, where it was a bit more acceptable from a storytelling sense for the heroes own impetuosity and inexperience to get in their own way, and their actions not expected to be quite so infallible all the time as we'd expect from a Batman or a Captain America.

The original team itself was a breath of fresh air. In a genre that often started out with four or five person teams, with a single woman (Fantastic Four, Avengers, Defenders, Champions), here was a five person team with *more girls than boys!* In a genre that would usually field a team without a single non-white character, here was a team with three out of five non-white characters! That was an eye-opener this white boy had no idea he wanted! The writing was fun. The characters were compelling, although I do wish a bit more had been done with Karma, in particular.

Still, four of the five originals remain favorites. And Doug, from the later tranche of members. Boom-Boom brought a fun, distinctive 'voice,' which helped differentiate her from the others in 'her generation,' who kind of melded into the same overly serious 'wannabe badass' mode, to me and seemed to have somewhat interchangeable dialogue and personalities, at times.

But all of them have had some great moments, with Magik and Domino, in particular, getting kickass portrayals by Anya Taylor-Joy and Zazie Beetz.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

My favorite n NM was the early CC rn and XForce before AOA personally
    X-Men Forever

Extraordinary Member

I'd argue that for a few years under Claremont, New Mutants was Marvel's best book, especially once Sienkiewicz started his run on the art. It's never reached those heights since, with the closest being the Zeb Wells run.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Sam growing up from the awkward beanpole who couldn't control his powers to a true leader able to fight Gladiator was one of the best things the 90s gave us.
    But this kind of grow is something Marvel doesn't like. (like when they killed Richard when he was turning into the major cosmic hero)
    So Sam got benched in the 2000s. He wasn't allowed to lead the X-Men and was reduced to follow Rogue and her galactic brain plan to include Sabretooth and Mystique in the team. And then he was turned into a failure of a leader in Wells' New Mutants. Now he just chills with her wife (who works for people who would destroy the Earth at the first sight of danger) and follows other people like a puppy.

In a perfect world, he would be the Cyclops of the X-Men now. Dani would be the Storm. And Berto would be... ah, there is nobody like Berto.

All-New Member

I really hope we get a new series in the from the ashes era. Also have we had legacy number 200 yet? From my count the 4th issue of a new series should technically be issue 200 unless a mini series did it and I missed it

Quote Originally Posted by Telepathic Nightmare View Post
    I really hope we get a new series in the from the ashes era. Also have we had legacy number 200 yet? From my count the 4th issue of a new series should technically be issue 200 unless a mini series did it and I missed it
    If they do one, I hope it will be better than this horrible anniversary issue.

All-New Member

Anniversary issue? I dont recall that last one was leathal legion that I read.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Sam growing up from the awkward beanpole who couldn't control his powers to a true leader able to fight Gladiator was one of the best things the 90s gave us.
    But this kind of grow is something Marvel doesn't like. (like when they killed Richard when he was turning into the major cosmic hero)
    So Sam got benched in the 2000s. He wasn't allowed to lead the X-Men and was reduced to follow Rogue and her galactic brain plan to include Sabretooth and Mystique in the team. And then he was turned into a failure of a leader in Wells' New Mutants. Now he just chills with her wife (who works for people who would destroy the Earth at the first sight of danger) and follows other people like a puppy.

In a perfect world, he would be the Cyclops of the X-Men now. Dani would be the Storm. And Berto would be... ah, there is nobody like Berto.
    ...and what a glorious future it would've been, as seen in X-Force Annual '91 (XD)

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    ...and what a glorious future it would've been, as seen in X-Force Annual '91 (XD)

I wish we would see more of Powerpax. There's no history given of what/who she is.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

That should be the present of the X-line.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I wish we would see more of Powerpax. There's no history given of what/who she is.
    Francine Power, IIRC. I guess, the daughter of one of the Power siblings.
    Since New Warriors, I always loved the idea of the four powers given to a single person. They could do so many things, like a MassMaster/Energizer combo: a cloud desintagrating everything and then releasing the energy like a thundercloud. Or a Lightspeed/MassMaster bullet.

I really hope we get a new mutants book please Marvel with the classic team and the premise is them getting new mutants from all over the country and being on a road trip.

Who would u guys want to write it?