Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Well while we're on the subject, I never got past the first season of BCS. I didn't hate it at all it just didn't pull me in like Breaking Bad and I already had a big backlog.
    Better Call Saul was excellent. I think it gets better after the first season.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I know Breaking Bad isn't a cop show, just figure cops are heavily involved in a show about meth dealers in a trailer parks. Sell me.
    What part of one of the best shows in television history doesn't work for you. Also like many shows, it might have the best last season ever.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What part of one of the best shows in television history doesn't work for you. Also like many shows, it might have the best last season ever.
    I much more prefer my entertainment be much more escapist in nature. I see the news and plenty of drug dealers, gun shoot outs etc etc etc.
    I just go for a more fantasy bent for my entertainment time.

where are you getting trailer park from? Breaking Bad is not in a trailer park. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The original lab is in a trailer. And it is featured in promotions. Probably why the association was made.
    This, promos and trailers. Having not seen it and just tuned it out I'm going on what little I saw.

I stuck with TV shows earlier but movies also
    I've not seen one movie of...
    Final Destination (though I get the log carrier reference, it has hit pop culture)
    Purge
    Saw
    Leprechaun
    Annabelle
    Conjuring
    Insidious
    How to Train Your Dragon (odd one out)

Until just this past weekend I had not seen any of the Ice Age films. However, my 6.5yr old daughter asked me about it. Some friend had a shirt at school. So I've now seen the first Ice Age. I feel the rest will follow based on positive reaction.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 05-17-2024 at 11:11 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Well while we're on the subject, I never got past the first season of BCS. I didn't hate it at all it just didn't pull me in like Breaking Bad and I already had a big backlog.
    They weren't exactly sure what they wanted the show to be in the first season, (Breaking Bad also wasn't sure-important characters like Mike, Saul and Gus don't show up in the first season for example, and they thought about killing Jessie off), they thought maybe it'd just be Saul's wacky hijinks but then they really leaned into it being a BB prequel as it went on.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Now I want a Cinnabon...

As for the regular series, it's kind of a "road to hell" series in a few ways, although Walt is already a heavily flawed man at the start (He's somewhat bitter about an event in the past where his former girlfriend and science partner formed a big pharmaceutical company and left him out of the profit despite what he says as his genius playing a role, leaving him working two jobs as a chemistry teacher and a car wash). He develops lung cancer but can't afford the treatments, but his DEA brother in law takes him for a ride-along and tells him that Meth makes a lot of money, and he spots one of his former students fleeing the scene of one of them. He puts together a partnership with the kid (Jessie)-Walt will use his chemistry genius to create Meth and Jessie will distribute it.

He lives in Albuquerque New Mexico, and his product of course catches the notice of the Salamanca cartel and their distributers.

It's very much a drama although there are moments of dark comedy throughout. Same goes for BCS.

It's made by a former X-files writer Vince Gilligan who wrote many of the monster of the week episodes so it sort of goes for that kind of humor (as well as a lot of the gore at times) although there is of course, no supernatural element. Although some of the same production teams worked on Walking Dead so they shared some props and slight references as Easter eggs when BB was on the air. Cranston and Aaron Paul were also guest actors on BB and I'm pretty sure Cranston's dramatic turn in one episode got him considered for Walter White, although John Cusack and Matthew Broderick were also considered. (And of course at this point Cranston was mainly known as a goofy sitcom dad in Malcolm in the Middle and a recurring dentist on Seinfeld).

He's described it as "Mr. Chips meets Scarface".

The Wire
    OZ
    Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul
    Sons of Anarchy
    Mad men
    Entourage
    Always Sunny
    Smallville
    Six Feet Under
    The West Wing
    The Sopranos
    Deadwood
    Rescue Me

And many more.

Some I missed out on due to having so many deployments before I retired and so many other things to do besides catch up on shows when I was home.

Some just didn’t interest me.

I do know -about- every show though; you can’t be a nerd and not keep up on what’s popular even if it’s not your cuppa.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    As for the regular series, it's kind of a "road to hell" series in a few ways, although Walt is already a heavily flawed man at the start (He's somewhat bitter about an event in the past where his former girlfriend and science partner formed a big pharmaceutical company and left him out of the profit despite what he says as his genius playing a role, leaving him working two jobs as a chemistry teacher and a car wash).
    The offered to cut him in for his share. He refused out of pride. He had divested from the company before it got big.

It's important. He never had to sell meth. (I do find I lost sympathy for him just a few episodes in, while most people seem not to have for a while.)

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Always Sunny
    If you're a Seinfeld fan, you should give Always Sunny a shot. It's basically dirtbag Seinfeld . . . if the characters were even more awful.

I've never seen any of the Rambo movies or any of the Ghostbusters either.

Only corners of 80s cinema I'm not hip to lol.

If you're a Seinfeld fan, you should give Always Sunny a shot. It's basically dirtbag Seinfeld . . . if the characters were even more awful.
    ^^^I did give it a shot once. Those characters were just TOO awful!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I never saw all the Harry Potter films. I saw the first in the theaters and it bored me silly so I never even bothered with the others. I know how insanely popular they are but I just don't get it.

I haven't seen one James Bond film.

I could probably add more but I don't feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    I've never seen any of the Rambo movies or any of the Ghostbusters either.

Only corners of 80s cinema I'm not hip to lol.

The first film (First Blood) is radically different to the sequels; Rambo only kills one man and it was more or less an accident; and possibly a few dogs. (He does badly wound/maim several people-including a young David Caruso who is sympathetic to him!- and causes a lot of property destruction by the end though)

The offered to cut him in for his share. He refused out of pride. He had divested from the company before it got big.

It's important. He never had to sell meth. (I do find I lost sympathy for him just a few episodes in, while most people seem not to have for a while.)
    Yeah, there's also something about his past with Gretchen in which he was intimidated by her family's wealth.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The first film (First Blood) is radically different to the sequels; Rambo only kills one man and it was more or less an accident; and possibly a few dogs. (He does badly wound/maim several people-including a young David Caruso who is sympathetic to him!- and causes a lot of property destruction by the end though)
    In the novel, didn't Troutman kill Rambo?