Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I’ll probably pick this up just for funzies.

I’m still peeved that Perez’s War of the Gods crossover got shortened and edited down from his original concept. Nonetheless, it was an exciting time to be a Wonder Woman fan.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 09-11-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I’ll probably pick this up just for funzies.

I’m still peeved that Perez’s War of the Gods crossover got shortened and edit down from his original concept. Nonetheless, it was an exciting time to be a Wonder Woman fan.
    War of the Gods is one of those storylines I'd like to see get the animated treatment, along the lines of Under the Red Hood or Death of Superman where it could take an important but not great storyline and some adaptation streamlining could get something good out of it.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-11-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Talk about a rare sighting, a non-Batman Dark multiverse story
    Only one of the Tales From The Dark Multiverse one-shots so far has been Batman focused though.

Incredible Member

How was this book? Worth picking up? Does it recapture any of the energy from that era?

And was it a self-contained standalone issue?
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 05-17-2024 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    How was this book? Worth picking up? Does it recapture any of the energy from that era?

And was it a self-contained standalone issue?
    Self Contained Standalone issue, sure

Recapture the energy of the era? Not at all. Closest I can say is that it uses other superheroes who were active during the era.

Id also have to give a big no to it being worth picking up.

Its supposed to mostly play out exactly the same as the original series, but instead of killing Hecates ghost at the end, it flies in and takes over Wonder Woman who goes on a half hearted killing spree until the other superheroes take her out. Utterly ignoring that the whole "War of the Gods" event centered around trying to reshape the universe in ones image and just makes a "The heroes gone bad and her allies must take her out" story.

Overall it just felt very underwhelming. Especially compared to the event it was named after. Reminds me more of one of those Silver age "Imaginary stories" than it does any dark and twisted reflection of past epics.

Incredible Member

That's too bad. I got curious and hoped it would be an interesting follow-up.

Did they opt out of following Hecate's plan to facilitate ending the story somewhere specific to the needs of the other tie-in issues? There was a Crisis one too right? Did they all have to interlock?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    That's too bad. I got curious and hoped it would be an interesting follow-up.

Did they opt out of following Hecate's plan to facilitate ending the story somewhere specific to the needs of the other tie-in issues? There was a Crisis one too right? Did they all have to interlock?
    oh no, there were no tie in issues. Tales of the Dark Multiverse was a series of unconnected standalone issues whose whole point was to revisit classic crisis events across DC and reinterpret them with a bad end in mind. Anything beyond that was entirely up to to the individual writer.

Crisis on Infinite Earths ended with most of Earths heroes dead and Alan Scott serving as a herald to a world ending threat in exchange for the Earths continued existence.
    Judas Contract ended with Terra cleaving the Earth in half and ruling over the remains
    Countdown ends with Blue Beetle becoming the new Brother Eye and taking over the world with an OMAC army
    Darkest Night ended with the universe dying and then being rebooted with a universal population based on Lobos
    Metal ends with the entire multiverse being destroyed entirely save for a single survivor who roams an empty expanse.

And War of the Gods ends with a Hecate posessed Wonder Woman in jail after killing about a dozen people. The writer just didn't put alot of imagination into it.