Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Superboy trivia - Gerard auditioned for the Lois and Clark role and got it. At the last minute a producer read his resume closely and found out he'd played Superboy and they dropped him and moved onto Dean.

Were you involved with the production of Lois & Clark?

I actually read for the show. It was interesting. At first the casting director didn't like my interpretation. Then she asked me to change it. I did and she liked it. Then she brought me in to meet the producers. When I walked into the room, they had no advance knowledge that I had done Superboy.

Now, there are two ways to look at that: They're either going to love it because I had done the part before, or the opposite would be true - they'd hate it. I read for the producer and his reaction was, "Wow! You're great, it's wonderful, you're the perfect guy for this!" There was a room of six or eight people, it was kind of exciting. Then he grabbed my resume, looked at the work I'd done, flipped it over and said, "You've done this already!" He threw my resume down on the table and basically threw me out of the room. It was pretty funny.

You have to keep in mind the situation that the Lois & Clark people were in. It's similar to when a restaurant goes out of business and is taken over by new owners: The new management wants to change the decor, the menu, the colors, the fabrics on the chairs - everything. He could have looked at the new show as an easy transition for me - from Superboy to Superman. I'm older, I'm experienced, and I have a following. But he was making a big move, a big transition in how the character would be interpreted. He wanted to go a different way. People like to do things their own way and often times they cut ties with anything that came before for their own personal reasons. I'm not making any judgements; if that's what he wants to do it's his business.

Gerard Christopher Interview
    Interesting.

I suppose it was also that L&C was supposed to be an adaptation of the Post-Crisis Superman mythos, and consequently they didn't want any associations with a Superboy series.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Interesting.

I suppose it was also that L&C was supposed to be an adaptation of the Post-Crisis Superman mythos, and consequently they didn't want any associations with a Superboy series.
    Yeah. That was about the time Superboy ceased to exist in the comics. Someone correct me but I recall reading about a comic where Superboy is killed off - Legion of Super-Heroes? It was done around the time of the Superboy series. That begs the question of how Superman came about if he dies as a teen Superboy I Brlribe.

Of note, Dean's suit was not that good while Gerard's was arguably one of the best. In a similar vein, the FX was better in Superboy than in L&C. Especially the flying.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Hpt9eDBL_8w
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 05-23-2024 at 03:59 PM.

A bit of Reeve, a dash of Cavill with some Hoechlin thrown in. Incredible custom Superman suit. I don't think the trunks work in live action but if you are going to do them a brief as opposed to boxer brief style works best.

Spectacular Member
    The USS Enterprise 1701, no bloody A, B, C, or D

Kirk Alyn/George Reeves b&w
    George Reeves color
    Christopher Reeve
    In no particular order.

Spectacular Member
    The USS Enterprise 1701, no bloody A, B, C, or D

[QUOTE=Jeffrey2;6823179]Yeah. That was about the time Superboy ceased to exist in the comics. Someone correct me but I recall reading about a comic where Superboy is killed off - Legion of Super-Heroes? It was done around the time of the Superboy series. That begs the question of how Superman came about if he dies as a teen Superboy I Brlribe.

When John Byrne was tapped to reboot Superman after the Crisis, he wanted Superman to restart from Day 1, like Wonder Woman under George Perez, so he asked to jettison Superboy, even though that would mess with the Legion. His higher-ups said "go for it, we'll deal with the legion." (As it is, the higher-ups didn't want a 'beginner' Superman, rendering the retcon pointless.)
    Now, the simple way to have dealt with the Legion is keep "inspired by Superboy/man but have no further guest appearances of the boy of steel and be vague about older stories. Instead, a storyline beginning in Superman Vol 2 8 revealed that, Post-Crisis, the Legion villain Time-Trapper had created a pocket universe with a Superboy to preserve the timeline. This Superboy adventured with the legion until his death in Legion of Super-Heroes Vol 3 38.

[QUOTE=Filbert;6831230]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Yeah. That was about the time Superboy ceased to exist in the comics. Someone correct me but I recall reading about a comic where Superboy is killed off - Legion of Super-Heroes? It was done around the time of the Superboy series. That begs the question of how Superman came about if he dies as a teen Superboy I Brlribe.

When John Byrne was tapped to reboot Superman after the Crisis, he wanted Superman to restart from Day 1, like Wonder Woman under George Perez, so he asked to jettison Superboy, even though that would mess with the Legion. His higher-ups said "go for it, we'll deal with the legion." (As it is, the higher-ups didn't want a 'beginner' Superman, rendering the retcon pointless.)
    Now, the simple way to have dealt with the Legion is keep "inspired by Superboy/man but have no further guest appearances of the boy of steel and be vague about older stories. Instead, a storyline beginning in Superman Vol 2 8 revealed that, Post-Crisis, the Legion villain Time-Trapper had created a pocket universe with a Superboy to preserve the timeline. This Superboy adventured with the legion until his death in Legion of Super-Heroes Vol 3 38.
    Thanks for the info. My preference is Clark having been Superboy before becoming Superman. The Superboy TV series is what I wish were canon now. Clark goes off to college and there first appears as Superboy/dons the suit. He meets Lex there as well as others, friend and foe, that he'll cross paths with in the future. It opens up creative possibilities beyond Jon (not a fan of Lois and Clark being married) and would allow for a Superboy in the DCU Teen Titans film.

Speaking of the suit and how Gerard's was an improved version of Reeve's, here is a great video breakdown of the Reeve suit.

Last edited by Jeffrey2; 05-26-2024 at 02:48 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

1) The original Hoechlin costume from Lois and Clark

2) The MOS/BvS Cavill outfit

3) The last Hoechlin costume
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?