Page 159 of 176 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 2633

Quote Originally Posted by Ture View Post

As always, Doctor Doom's biggest priority is ensuring his homeland of Latveria remains safe from external threats, including vampires. Thanks to Victor von Doom's mastery of magic and technology, Latverian borders remain relatively safe from vampires. However, while Doom may be confident that—through his leadership—Latveria is the safest place in the Marvel Universe from vampires, his hubris has always been his downfall.

Ready to get his hands bloody, Doom will be drawn into the vampire onslaught as it intensifies. And with Doom among the greatest sorcerers on Earth, his magical abilities may come in handy as the Master of Mystic Arts finds himself and the presumed safety of his Sanctum Sanctorum targeted by vampires.

courtesy of
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...u-need-to-know

T'Challa the Black Panther should have that kind of red in his ledger.
    You bring up an excellent point, and it jibe with when T'Chaka was telling his son "It's hard for a good man to be king. Why not use content to show T'challa working hard and dealing with the closeness of getting his hands dirty as a ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed, we need to be careful and not mix-up comicsgate nonsense into the discussion.

The gators were the ones complaining that BP hadn't "earned" (the context in the way that word is used is by the right-wing is pretty much a racist dog-whistle now) his status probably until the movie blew-up.

Our criticism (at least on this forum) started after Coates started on the book and proceeded to dismantle everything Wakanda related. Every single arc was some sort of sociopolitical commentary that used Wakanda as a proxy. From rape camps to the Wakandans being colonizers, there was an undercurrent of negativity that was impossible to ignore.

Ridley being the self-hating individual he is proceeded to completely destroy T'Challa, turned his country against him and stripped him of his title. He also gave us that infamous panel of Captain America beating T'Challa so badly that his face and lips were swollen like he was a runaway slave or something. Coates treated T'Challa like how the gators viewed him.

When you add-in Avengers vs X-men, the last 12 or so years have been dedicated to the deconstruction of Wakanda and T'Challa himself. Very little has been done to build up the character beyond being the Emperor of an Integalactic Empire that he knew nothing about and was established by colonialist Wakandans. It's all a complete mess.
    All this, and yet Marvel is very deliberate. We know that Redjack had made the push only to be rebuffed.....? Why not let a proven talent, that actually appreciated the source material get a chance? Why were people that they allowed to touch the book even consider

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Some (not all) would say a positive that came out of Coates' run was Storm's Godhead being acknowledged.

I would say one good that came out of Ridley's run was her decidedly ending their relationship. Now I can pick at nits and say that scene between the two could/should have been handled much better but...the books were dumpster fuel so that would have been asking too much. (Or am I mixing it up with Vita's story?)

For Eve's run...Trans representation? (Because I really cannot remember anyone else, even T'Challa is drawing a visual blank)
    How does ANY Of that benefit T'Challa? The name on the book.

These were NOT Storm books.

Folks have tried to end that many times but we get mess like we saw in Marvel Voices acting like it still exist.

Notice all these folks we saw get introduced have NOT been seen since those books ended. If it was REALLY about Wakanda and them-we would still be seeing them.

Spider-Boy got an ongoing and he came out of nowhere.

How many Spider folks have gotten something?

Dreamer from Supergirl has done MORE than Tosin including leading a BOOK.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I was being sarcastic with that post. (my bad, I should have indicated as such)

As far as Spider-boy goes...he's a Spider Boy. That in itself guarantees a certain amount of inbuilt popularity. Plus, the Spider fandom seems to happily latch on to every iteration that they can find which is actually a good trait to look for when introducing new IPs.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-18-2024 at 02:46 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Here's the thing. The conversation on Coates Panther is so negative and toxic I would think fans would rate it 1 or 2 out of 10. And we know thats not the reality. So why is there never anything said about the positives? Because negativity consumes the conversation.

Bottom line is if Priest stuff came out and is really good there still will be an emphasis on what didnt work or what points should be deducted from it. Thats the nature of the beast today.
    Here is the difference-

When Priest's run came out-you only had 2 trades of that run until all of it came out around the 2016.

Hudlin's run was the FIRST Black Panther run to be collected in trades.

When you get to Coates mess-not only did we get his trades. We also saw that run placed in more stores than the previous ones including the Kirby one.
    When I go to Office Depot-guess whose trades I saw in the store from Marvel? BLACK PANTHER by Coates volume 1.
    When I go to Barnes and Nobles-excluding New 52 Static, Spawn and Miles Morales-you would be hard pressed to find a black lead trade in those stores.
    When I go to the public library at mine-guess who trades got checked out to death, stolen and barely replaced? Hudlin's run. In fact excluding Coates run-you don't have TONS of copies to check out.
    When you go to comixology or Kindle-the ONLY one I could read with my coloxolgy Unlimited account is the last 8 years. Can't do that with the previous ones aside from when all things Panther was free after Boseman's death.

So most folks who are JUST now reading Black Panther are starting with Coates. In fact it will be the same case with almost everyone else-folks will access the most RECENT material.

So guess what happens-a TON of folks read it and many tend to NOT comeback for volumes 2 and beyond.

On Amazon with comixology you can read all BUT ONE of the Coates & all of Riley & Ewing runs for free. You can't do that with Priest (Only the first one you can) or Hudlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Some (not all) would say a positive that came out of Coates' run was Storm's Godhead being acknowledged.

I would say one good that came out of Ridley's run was her decidedly ending their relationship. Now I can pick at nits and say that scene between the two could/should have been handled much better but...the books were dumpster fuel so that would have been asking too much. (Or am I mixing it up with Vita's story?)

For Eve's run...Trans representation? (Because I really cannot remember anyone else, even T'Challa is drawing a visual blank)
    So... The only good things to come out of those BLACK PANTHER runs were... For other characters who aren't T'Challa

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    So... The only good things to come out of those BLACK PANTHER runs were... For other characters who aren't T'Challa
    ding!ding!ding!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    All this, and yet Marvel is very deliberate. We know that Redjack had made the push only to be rebuffed.....? Why not let a proven talent, that actually appreciated the source material get a chance? Why were people that they allowed to touch the book even consider
    I really don't know.

It's something Marvel is being deliberate about. They simply want "literary writers" to work on the main BP book for whatever reason.

The problem is that some of these guys have no knowledge of the character or simply don't care about the character and the existing lore.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I really don't know.

It's something Marvel is being deliberate about. They simply want "literary writers" to work on the main BP book for whatever reason.

The problem is that some of these guys have no knowledge of the character or simply don't care about the character and the existing lore.
    Part of the reason you see that is because some of those folks can get your book in places and coverage that it might not get.
    For regular folks they are not really going to notice the cosmetic differences.

I'll use the Kirkus Review-who NORMALLY ignores all things comics and OGNS including trades. Now put a Kami Garcia, Christine Gonzales, Gene Yung, Coates and Jason Reynolds.
    Guess what gets covered. In Marvel's case the Jason Reynolds and Justin Reynolds Miles books.
    Those names also get books ordered by schools and in fact gets them included in the books we are allowed to order (and not have to pay out of a teacher's pocket).

The issue beyond what we have seen with Panther and Miles Morales Thor writer. The Miles Morales Thor writer writes to teens and kids. NOT adult comic book readers.
    I know that writer from owning his books and his writing didn't bother me but to adults it became an issue.

This is more about using those folks to promote your stuff and I would SUSPECT all the T'Challa taking backseats to everyone plays into that.

We got a Wakanda show coming-could all those leeches be in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The gameplay isn't really for me but everything else on this game is perfect in terms of handling. Voices, art style, and character design.
    Wish they would just port all of the assets to an Avengers VS Xmen fighting game

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Part of the reason you see that is because some of those folks can get your book in places and coverage that it might not get.
    For regular folks they are not really going to notice the cosmetic differences.

I'll use the Kirkus Review-who NORMALLY ignores all things comics and OGNS including trades. Now put a Kami Garcia, Christine Gonzales, Gene Yung, Coates and Jason Reynolds.
    Guess what gets covered. In Marvel's case the Jason Reynolds and Justin Reynolds Miles books.
    Those names also get books ordered by schools and in fact gets them included in the books we are allowed to order (and not have to pay out of a teacher's pocket).

The issue beyond what we have seen with Panther and Miles Morales Thor writer. The Miles Morales Thor writer writes to teens and kids. NOT adult comic book readers.
    I know that writer from owning his books and his writing didn't bother me but to adults it became an issue.

This is more about using those folks to promote your stuff and I would SUSPECT all the T'Challa taking backseats to everyone plays into that.

We got a Wakanda show coming-could all those leeches be in it?
    I can't speak to most of that (except to say I basically agree) but I'm extremely close to key players on EYES OF WAKANDA and it's not going to be what folks seem to think. Extremely close.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nice to see the galactic empire is canon in this world!
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Nice to see the galactic empire is canon in this world!
    Yeah the game takes a lot of the recent lore with the characters like Storm's adventures in X-Men Red as the Regent of Sol and Magneto constantly referencing Krakoa to the point of having the Krakoan word for M on his cape. Its really fun, especially how they are constructing scenarios within the game lore like Magneto and Scarlet Witch teaming up to gather mutants from across the multiverse and then raising a mutant army to liberate Wanda's world from a demon invasion in their team-up bio.

So its going to be fun seeing the little stories they have cooked up for BP in this setting.