Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    What do you mean likely wasn't?
    In canon he was aged 8 or 10 when he became Robin so saying that 8 year old Robin Dick Grayson was a menace is canon and true.
    In the real Golden Age comics there was no age given untill the late 40s where it was indicated that he was roughly 15.

The only thing that hints at 8 are the Birthday spanks, but it might also be possible that we just see all of them on panel. And there imo more indications in other stories (or even in that story like the number of candles on his birthday cake) that he is actually older.

The only canon for his age was afaik established arround COIE where his grave stone showed that he was born in iirc 1928, which would make him 12 when he became Robin. And age 12 seems also to be what all modern stories that are set around his early years as Robin seem to go with.

Age 8 was to my knowledge mentioned the first time mentioned during the New Teen Titans, and even than it didn't made a lot of sense.

When it comes to Dick being a menace, he certainly kicked a lot of thugs of buildings in early stories, but appart from that I don't remember him doing anything that the other Robins couldn't have also done.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    In the real Golden Age comics there was no age given untill the late 40s where it was indicated that he was roughly 15.

The only thing that hints at 8 are the Birthday spanks, but it might also be possible that we just see all of them on panel. And there imo more indications in other stories (or even in that story like the number of candles on his birthday cake) that he is actually older.

The only canon for his age was afaik established arround COIE where his grave stone showed that he was born in iirc 1928, which would make him 12 when he became Robin. And age 12 seems also to be what all modern stories that are set around his early years as Robin seem to go with.

Age 8 was to my knowledge mentioned the first time mentioned during the New Teen Titans, and even than it didn't made a lot of sense.

When it comes to Dick being a menace, he certainly kicked a lot of thugs of buildings in early stories, but appart from that I don't remember him doing anything that the other Robins couldn't have also done.
    So you are saying that 8 years old Dick Grayson was a menace doing what other older Robins could do
    Do you think he could move his internal organs out of danger just by thinking it like Damian
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-18-2024 at 06:50 AM.

The problem is that Bane is (allready since the late 90s) not using venom in most of his appearences (not sure what his current status is in this regard), and in the comics venom afaik never worked like in the animated series were it stops working and Bane collapses when you cut the tubes.

Bane should be a characters that even Bruce can't really take in a physical fight. If Damian can take on Bane, than Bane either stops being a credible thread, or Damian has become completely OP.
    I don't know about that. I could be wrong, but didn't he beat him several times since the 90s?

Anyway, I feel like Damian is kind of in need of a win. He rarely seems to win a fight on his own, despite us being told he's a prodigy as a warrior. Even if he wins anything he's usually depicted as being wrong before it. I doubt he will win against Bane, because when does Damian ever get to win anything, but it would be nice if he got to have something.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Anyway, I feel like Damian is kind of in need of a win. He rarely seems to win a fight on his own, despite us being told he's a prodigy as a warrior.
    I mean he beat almost everybody in the Lazarus Island tournament (even if I think that the writer wasn't really aware how strong some of the participants technically should have been).

My feeling is Jason is currently in a much bigger need for a big win.

I mean he beat almost everybody in the Lazarus Island tournament (even if I think that the writer wasn't really aware how strong some of the participants technically should have been).

Idk. I felt like most people in the tournament were new characters and weaklings. He also died several times. Considering that many other heroes get flawless wins I don't feel like this counts much.
    Jason and Damian both get treated as black sheep by DC, I don't see much purpose in comparing them.
    Dick and Tim are the golden boys.

I don't disagree that Jason needs more respect put on him but what has he got to do this?
    He isn't Robin.
    He isn't Bane. He's got nothing to do with Damian's current situation or the Damian v Bane conflict. Dude wasn't even in the City of Bane arc. He didn't show up when Bane held Alfred conflict.

Why are you dragging him into this?

Extraordinary Member

That's my fear.
    I don't want that for Damian or him getting hyped/w*"ked to death Tim drake style.

I feel like having him defeat Bane will be come across as w*8nking and be off putting.
    Don’t worry that’s not gonna happen anytime soon. Plus Damian is witty and mischievous he’s more likely to to use a trap or the environment then win with just hands

Extraordinary Member

Why are you dragging him into this?
    Since he has allready gone after Bane twice for killing Alfred (ok once it was Gotham in disguise).

Since he has allready gone after Bane twice for killing Alfred (ok once it was Gotham in disguise).
    I know and all that served to do was underline just how piss poor Jason's handling is.

He didn't show up when Alfred actually needed then he had the gull to mouth off at those showed up to help when Alfred was in peril and then to cap it off he wrongly accused the person who did all the heavy lifting in the batman plan to gain access into the City of Bane of being the cause of Alfred's death.

Don't you see how dumb it is for Jason to go after Bane for Alfred? Alfred's death and memorial doesn't reflect well on Jason. I'd rather writer never bring it up in his stories unless it's him dealing with not being there when Alfred needed him the most or reflecting on how he wrongfully blamed a traumatised victim.

In fact he owes damian an apology.

I really hated how Jason was written in RIP

More to the point Jason having gone after Bane has nothing to do with Damian fighting Bane.
    Robins have fought the same batman foes. Jason and Damian have both fought Black mask.
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-18-2024 at 10:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

solicits contd

DC VS. VAMPIRES: WORLD WAR V #1
    Written by MATTHEW ROSENBERG
    Art and cover by OTTO SCHMIDT
    Variant covers by STEVE BEACH and JAE LEE
    Foil variant cover by HOMARE ($6.99 US)
    1:25 variant cover by RILEY ROSSMO
    1:50 cover by NIKOLA ČIŽMEŠIJA
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | 2 of 6 | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 8/14/24
    The smash-hit series returns! It’s the dead of winter, and any hope for a
    fragile truce between the Green Arrow-led human heroes and vampire
    queen Barbara Gordon’s army has been dashed by Damian Wayne and his
    guerrilla fighters.
    He’s the only one fighting back against the bloodthirsty
    hordes, leaving Green Arrow with a choice: Does he stand and fight or
    sacrifice the boy in the name of peace?

THE BOY WONDER #4
    Written by JUNI BA
    Art and cover by JUNI BA
    Variant cover by VALENTINA NAPOLITANO
    $4.99 US | 32 pages | 4 of 5 | (all covers are card stock)
    ON SALE 8/7/24
    Damian Wayne may have been struggling to live up to his father’s
    legacy…but the last thing he ever wanted was to be returned to the
    clutches of his grandfather, the Demon King. But when his worst
    nightmare comes true, can he rely on his mother to defend him? Or has
    he lost her forever to the same horrific legacy he’s tried to escape?

So it looks like Damian has a decent role in DC v Vampires.
    The Rossmo variant for this issue is also fire. Makes Vampire Damian look like one of The Batman Who Laughs Crows
    August going to be a big month for Damian fans. Lots of content and it all sounds promising.
    All the story ideas interest me.

Damian and Diana - The comic I'm most interested in. This could be gold.

Damian coming face to face with Bane - I hope Damian brakes some of his limbs

Damian's pets - It's been too long

A positive Damian and Talia story [I hope]

Damian and Ollie- a criminally underrated duo. Loved them in Gotham Resistance. Hope this continues Ollies' surrogate parent role we got in the GR tie ins.

I know and all that served to do was underline just how piss poor Jason's handling is.

He didn't show up when Alfred actually needed then he had the gull to mouth off at those showed up to help when Alfred was in peril and then to cap it off he wrongly accused the person who did all the heavy lifting in the batman plan to gain access into the City of Bane of being the cause of Alfred's death.

Don't you see how dumb it is for Jason to go after Bane for Alfred? Alfred's death and memorial doesn't reflect well on Jason. I'd rather writer never bring it up in his stories unless it's him dealing with not being there when Alfred needed him the most or reflecting on how he wrongfully blamed a traumatised victim.

In fact he owes damian an apology.

I really hated how Jason was written in RIP

More to the point Jason having gone after Bane has nothing to do with Damian fighting Bane.
    Robins have fought the same batman foes. Jason and Damian have both fought Black mask.
    Considering how Damian was the one to witness Alfred's death (and as has been explained many times by people who actually read City of Bane, it was not Damian's fault at all, he was doing what Bruce asked him to do and Alfred had lied about getting away when he didn't) I'm a bit suprised it took this long to have Damian face Bane.

Damian was the one who had to watch Alfred get his neck snapped. Yet they let Bruce have traumatic visions about that before Damian. They let characters blame Damian for Alfred's death with nobody truly correcting these characters or apologize to Damian for blaming him, a boy who was only 13 at the time and just lost the first person who took his side in the batfamily. Jason blaming Damian was bad, then Bruce couldn't get off his ass even after Barbara told him to do so to comfort Damian and then Tim just went "Anyway, here is my story about Alfred". And nobody ever truly adresses just how much they failed Damian afterwards. Even the apologies from Bruce never truly hit the mark on what went wrong. The other characters weren't even made to apologize.

Some Tim Drake fans are still pissed because of Damian becoming Robin, but the lack of respect Damian has been treated with?
    I don't want Damian to kill him, but let him beat Bane's ass.
    He deserves it.
    Last edited by Astralabius; 05-19-2024 at 04:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

It's been out for a while but just caught Merry little Batman on Prime and it's one of the best DC animated movies to date.

Pleasantly surprised. I would say that this movie was way better than it had any reason to be but looking at the creative team behind it, it makes sense why it was so good.

Loved this version of the character and the st Trinians art style which I was previously on the fence about turned out to not be an issue at all when I finally sat down to watch the film.

A funny heartwarming and clever festive movie.

Bring on the spin off series.

Sorry for the rant, but seeing Tim fans still be so whiny about things that happened over a decade ago while Damian got treated much worse and with way less sympathy than Tim pisses me off.
    Where are the 10000 fanfictions that twist canon to make Damian even more of a victim about what DC did to him until many people believe things happened in a way they never did?
    And why some Jason fans feel the need to get involved is even more strange to me.
    Jason and Damian both get treated with a lack of respect by DC. Damian is being written as the "bad Robin" while Tim gets to be the perfect Robin to Bruce by Zdarsky right now. With zero respect for the fact that Damian is Robin and that he currently has a book with Bruce.
    Jason has also been insulted or blamed for his death in favor of Tim many times too.
    What is the point of getting angry at Damian as a Jason fan?
    When was Jason recently made look bad to push Damian?
    Get mad a Tim fanboy writers instead. They are the ones trying to tear everyone down because they have no clue how to make Tim an enganging character.

Heck, even when Jason beat up Damian in Teen Titans it was framed in a way that Jason was right for doing so and fans cheered him on after reading it.

Batman vs Robin made Damian realize that he'll never be as good as his father and that he should die to safe him because Bruce is more useful than Damian will ever be. And even when he tried to sacrifice himself he was told he wouldn't be enough.

Sometimes I really want DC writers to look at the crap they wrote and force them to really think about what messed up messages they just wrote about a child.
    And then they even have to guts to claim they like the character. Yeah, you clearly know none of their history and your message about them is absolutely disrespectful, but sure. You totally love that character.
    Last edited by Astralabius; 05-19-2024 at 04:59 AM.