Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Invincible Member

Old Chicago was an indoor amusement park and mall in the late 70's in Bolingbrook, IL

I talked about this before, but seriously can't get enough of WPIX Channel 11 here in the NY/NJ area. A couple of months ago, the station celebrated their 75th anniversary with this special:

For me, WPIX is NYC's real station. Of course, there were ABC, NBC, and CBS stations in the area. The NYC stations are the flagship stations of these networks. But WPIX 11 feels so local and underdog-ish.

In any case, the clip highlights a lot of what made (and still makes) Channel 11 so nostalgic and special.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I talked about this before, but seriously can't get enough of WPIX Channel 11 here in the NY/NJ area. A couple of months ago, the station celebrated their 75th anniversary with this special:

For me, WPIX is NYC's real station. Of course, there were ABC, NBC, and CBS stations in the area. The NYC stations are the flagship stations of these networks. But WPIX 11 feels so local and underdog-ish.

In any case, the clip highlights a lot of what made (and still makes) Channel 11 so nostalgic and special.
    I haven't lived on Long Island since 1992, but I grew up on WPIX for a quarter of a century. Of all of the channels, it probably was the first one that I regularly watched going back to 1968 (thanks to The Munsters, Popeye hosted by "Captain" Jack McCarthy, The Little Rascals, Bozo's Big Top, and The Three Stooges hosted by "Officer" Joe Bolton). Of the independent stations, though they were all great with their own particular strengths, WPIX might have been my favorite.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Invincible Member

This is from The Krofft Supershow from the mid 70's. It was basically a Saturday Morning kid's variety kid's show with music and anthology adventure shows ( Dr Shrinker, Electra Woman and Dnya Girl, etc ). Sid and Marty Krofft did a bunch of shows back then like Banna Splits, HR Pufnstuf, Sigmund and the Sea monster, etc. They actually sued Mc Donald's back in the day over their puppet designs and what not.

Having said that...what the heck? This is so 70's that it's totally normal that not only are your fake rock band for kids has a mish mash of glam/disco/hippie glitter, but one of them is a watered down pimp! And what are these lyrics? "Take a trip and we'll blow your mind"...and The Osmonds of all people wrote this!
    Last edited by ed2962; 05-19-2024 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This is from The Krofft Supershow from the mid 70's. It was basically a Saturday Morning kid's variety kid's show with music and anthology adventure shows ( Dr Shrinker, Electra Woman and Dnya Girl, etc ). Sid and Marty Krofft did a bunch of shows back then like Banna Splits, HR Pufnstuf, Sigmund and the Sea monster, etc. They actually sued Mc Donald's back in the day over their puppet designs and what not.

Having said that...what the heck? This is so 70's that it's totally normal that not only are your fake rock band for kids has a mish mash of glam/disco/hippie glitter, but one of them is a watered down pimp! And what are these lyrics? "Take a trip and we'll blow your mind"...and The Osmonds of all people wrote this!
    I watched it for Diedre Hall as Electra Woman. She was smokin' hot!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I haven't lived on Long Island since 1992, but I grew up on WPIX for a quarter of a century. Of all of the channels, it probably was the first one that I regularly watched going back to 1968 (thanks to The Munsters, Popeye hosted by "Captain" Jack McCarthy, The Little Rascals, Bozo's Big Top, and The Three Stooges hosted by "Officer" Joe Bolton). Of the independent stations, though they were all great with their own particular strengths, WPIX might have been my favorite.
    You forgot Yankee games.

They do a handful of Mets games now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    You forgot Yankee games.

They do a handful of Mets games now.
    Definitely many a Yankee game, though I'm a Met fan.

Astonishing Member

I watched it for Diedre Hall as Electra Woman. She was smokin' hot!
    She was indeed. In the late 1960s she worked as a model in ads and in commercials, and she modeled topless for pictorials in girlie magazines. BTW, she has a twin sister!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    She was indeed. In the late 1960s she worked as a model in ads and in commercials, and she modeled topless for pictorials in girlie magazines. BTW, she has a twin sister!
    I didn't know she has a twin sister. Two women that beautiful!

Astonishing Member

I didn't know she has a twin sister. Two women that beautiful!
    The Hall sisters, Andrea and Deidre

Invincible Member

Cyndi Lauper paying tribute!