Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    This could surprise us. While I prefer Peter get out of High School (seriously, I'm so tired of that setting...), I'll judge it on its own merits. Spectacular is great, despite a High School setting. I've never be opposed to it - it's a new universe and a new starting point - but I'm biased. I grew up with every cartoon Peter since the 60s in college already until Bendis's USM took off and the cartoons followed.
    I can't help but feel like this is going to be like USM or the 2017 show but with better production values and writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't help but feel like this is going to be like USM or the 2017 show but with better production values and writing.
    I'm an optimist by nature, and I simply don't know enough beyond a setting to make a judgement. I hope it's good.

That said, I find this interesting. My wife decided to boot up and watch the first episode of the 90s Spider-Man about an hour ago. It's been awhile since I watched it too, and despite the 90s narm charm and dated CG, I'm impressed at how effortlessly the show throws you into a quintessential Spider-Man's world as an adult trying to balance his college classes with a job and heroics, how he'll mouth off to a rival, how he'll have moments of selfishness and then ultimately his good heart will lead him to do the right thing, how competent he is as a hero while also having bad luck and mishaps, etc. It just throws you in there and shares that this is a larger world. The most "Spider-Man" moment you can imagine is him trying to hunt down the Lizard to get a photo for the $1000 bonus JJJ promises him so he can pay Aunt May's late bills, while complaining that he bets the Fantastic Four and the Avengers never crawl around in the sewers like he does.

I hope the upcoming show can capture most of those elements, at least.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I'm an optimist by nature, and I simply don't know enough beyond a setting to make a judgement. I hope it's good.

That said, I find this interesting. My wife decided to boot up and watch the first episode of the 90s Spider-Man about an hour ago. It's been awhile since I watched it too, and despite the 90s narm charm and dated CG, I'm impressed at how effortlessly the show throws you into a quintessential Spider-Man's world as an adult trying to balance his college classes with a job and heroics, how he'll mouth off to a rival, how he'll have moments of selfishness and then ultimately his good heart will lead him to do the right thing, how competent he is as a hero while also having bad luck and mishaps, etc. It just throws you in there and shares that this is a larger world. The most "Spider-Man" moment you can imagine is him trying to hunt down the Lizard to get a photo for the $1000 bonus JJJ promises him so he can pay Aunt May's late bills, while complaining that he bets the Fantastic Four and the Avengers never crawl around in the sewers like he does.

I hope the upcoming show can capture most of those elements, at least.
    All despite the fact that he could never throw a punch .

Mighty Member

The high school setting is repetitive, but my main issue with how the last two shows handled is more about the execution. In Ultimate Spider-Man, it's an afterthought to Peter leading the young heroes in his team, who are also trained by SHIELD. It loses importance more and more as the show goes on. Mary Jane and Harry are only relevant to the end because they also become superpowered heroes and/or villains. In Marvel's Spider-Man, they make Horizon High so important to Peter's Spider-Man life that there's no distinction between lives at all. And again, most of the cast there becomes a hero or a villain. There's not much in the way of a supporting cast.

This show could actually take the time to flesh out the high school setting like Spectacular did, but it's not encouraging that everyone (but Harry) is involved in superhero business. In Lonnie's cast, supervillainy, but you get what I mean.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    The high school setting is repetitive, but my main issue with how the last two shows handled is more about the execution. In Ultimate Spider-Man, it's an afterthought to Peter leading the young heroes in his team, who are also trained by SHIELD. It loses importance more and more as the show goes on. Mary Jane and Harry are only relevant to the end because they also become superpowered heroes and/or villains. In Marvel's Spider-Man, they make Horizon High so important to Peter's Spider-Man life that there's no distinction between lives at all. And again, most of the cast there becomes a hero or a villain. There's not much in the way of a supporting cast.

This show could actually take the time to flesh out the high school setting like Spectacular did, but it's not encouraging that everyone (but Harry) is involved in superhero business. In Lonnie's cast, supervillainy, but you get what I mean.
    I will never understand why they thought Tombstone, TOMBSTONE, needed to go to high school with Peter Parker.

Like, if we wanted to get the "classmate of Peter who is tragically destined to turn into Supervillain" there were so many other choices than the one that's an adult albino black man who is supposed to have history with one of his bosses.

Astonishing Member

Since Marvel seems to be changing course after the response to Phase 4 & 5, it wouldn't surprise me if this show is one of those projects like The Marvels. It's something that will come out beause it's already done and had money put in it, but isn't indicative of what they want to do going forward. Going forward I think they'll want to respond to X-Men 97's success and do something more akin to Spider-Man '98.

I mean, the fact that they halted production on Season 2 a while ago kinda proves this isn't something they want to keep doing long-term. We know X-Men '97 Season 2 was already in the works and wasn't halted. (Of course, if this show kills it in ratings, they'll undoubtedly proceed with Season 2).

The show itself sounds like a better version of USM 2012 and Spider-Man 2017 (like Frontier said), which is dissapointing. The writers also have that "they don't realize what they're saying isn't that exciting" energy that most of the 2020-2023 MCU writers had. (Part of why it reminds me of The Marvels).

But with Marvel changing course altogether, I don't know how animated (pun intended) I can get over this. Even if it sucks. It's just hard to imagine it being 2028... Marvel killing with X-Men '97, WB killing it with Timm's new Batman show, Sony killing it with Spidey Animation on the big screen and maybe even with their Prime Video shows now that they put Lord & Miller in charge... also the MCU killing it with a new Spider-Man film where he's more mature + out of high school... and Feige still thinking "Yeah let's put all our Spider-Man Animation eggs in the Friendly Neighborhpod basket. Isn't a high school show based on the 2016-2021 MCU Spidey just great?"

That seems unfathomable to me, lol.

EDIT: I will say this, though: Peter Parker being "broke" in this sounds preferable. It sounds like they maybe walked back even some of the stuff with Norman funding him.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-20-2024 at 07:03 AM.

Sounds like SSM with slightly better production values and weaker writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    EDIT: I will say this, though: Peter Parker being "broke" in this sounds preferable. It sounds like they maybe walked back even some of the stuff with Norman funding him.
    I'm hoping he at least gets a job at the Daily Bugle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Sounds like SSM with slightly better production values and weaker writing.
    Spectacular used his traditional supporting cast and Rogues Gallery, had legit adult Tombstone, and didn't have a bunch of random MU characters.

Spectacular Member Trapgodthanos's Avatar

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm hyped for the show. Jeff Trammell who made Craig of the creek as the show runner has me excited. Also Leonardo ramero as the character designer is cool. The only thing I'm worried about is the animation since they switched to a cg anime studio

I feel like Nico is there as the bestie so they can say Peter still has an Asian best friend.

I do wonder if MJ shows up if she'll be black because of Zendaya.

The interview emphasizes the relationships but it feels like they can't fathom that relating in a way that doesn't lead to a bunch of people probably suiting up alongside Peter.

I feel like that extends beyond cartoons and just Superhero fiction in general. I mean, they just put MJ into a costume. How many characters in the Arrowverse were constantly getting powers or getting costumes even if they didn't have them in the comics?
    Hmm, Sentinel in Supergirl comes to mind, but Alex Danvers doesn't even exist in the comics (the codename is one once used by Alan Scott, the golden age Green Lantern). There was also Cecile in The Flash. But most of the heroes DID exist in the comics, and the civilians who got powers did have them in the comics too. Caitlin and Cisco did start as civilians, but their comic counterparts are both Justice Leaguers, so it was no surprise when they became superheroes.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hmm, Sentinel in Supergirl comes to mind, but Alex Danvers doesn't even exist in the comics (the codename is one once used by Alan Scott, the golden age Green Lantern). There was also Cecile in The Flash. But most of the heroes DID exist in the comics, and the civilians who got powers did have them in the comics too. Caitlin and Cisco did start as civilians, but their comic counterparts are both Justice Leaguers, so it was no surprise when they became superheroes.
    Jimmy Olsen as Guardian. Suddenly his sister shows up and gets to be Guardian. Lena Luthor somehow gets magic powers.

It was just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Cecile is a character from the comics. She was The Flash's lawyer when he was on trial for killing Zoom. She wasn't a superhero and didn't have powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Cecile is a character from the comics. She was The Flash's lawyer when he was on trial for killing Zoom. She wasn't a superhero and didn't have powers.
    And so was her Superhero identity even though they were completely separate characters.

Now I'm getting bad "The Cecile" flashbacks...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trapgodthanos View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority but I'm hyped for the show. Jeff Trammell who made Craig of the creek as the show runner has me excited. Also Leonardo ramero as the character designer is cool.
    Same here. It's kinda silly to judge something before you've even laid eyes on it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Same here. It's kinda silly to judge something before you've even laid eyes on it.
    We only have a generic story description, character designs, and the bad taste of past Spider-Man cartoons go off of at this point.