Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 05-19-2024 at 05:33 PM.

bring her back as a horseman
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

I agree, I feel she was killed off too quickly. I'd rather they hadn't reintroduced her on Genosha at all and instead left her missing for some time to be brought back later in future seasons.

The things I'm realizing about Madelyne in retrospect spurred by her resurgence thanks to Krakoa and X-MEN'97. One of Jean's last acts pre-Phoenix is to absorb the skills of a pilot via Peter Corbeau while on the space shuttle. Madelyne awakens as a pilot as her remembered profession. Symmetry...

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The things I'm realizing about Madelyne in retrospect spurred by her resurgence thanks to Krakoa and X-MEN'97. One of Jean's last acts pre-Phoenix is to absorb the skills of a pilot via Peter Corbeau while on the space shuttle. Madelyne awakens as a pilot as her remembered profession. Symmetry...

Inaressing. Never thought about that.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Thats an intersting way of looking at it but the Phoenix retcon hadnt been concieved when Maddie was created so that was pure coincidence

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    someone said that in another thread and the only time I thought a Horseman was scarier then this idea was War Hulk
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Sometimes it feels like off panel Hope channeling the PF, Wanda, Doc Strange and Galactus all did a ritual with the infinity gems and the incantations was "NO MORE CHARACTER GROWTH!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    So soon after breaking free of her role as Sinister's tool, I wouldn't want Maddie under Apocalypse's thrall.
    Shades of Polaris' mind control storyline problem...

BANNED

That's a neat connection. I know CC loves female pilots because someone important in his life was one (I think his mother???) which is why he writes so many female pilots like Maddie and Betsy.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    That's a neat connection. I know CC loves female pilots because someone important in his life was one (I think his mother???) which is why he writes so many female pilots like Maddie and Betsy.
    Female pilots spilled over into his novels as well. Were he still in his prime, I'd be interested in seeing him take a stab at a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel series. He might still have it in him given how well reviewed MADRIPOOR KNIGHTS seems to be (his XTREME X-MEN revisit looked solid as well) but he slips into retreads of some of his worst tropes at times in other works.

Incredible Member

Female pilots spilled over into his novels as well. Were he still in his prime, I'd be interested in seeing him take a stab at a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel series. He might still have it in him given how well reviewed MADRIPOOR KNIGHTS seems to be (his XTREME X-MEN revisit looked solid as well) but he slips into retreads of some of his worst tropes at times in other works.
    he had a thing for red heads too? I didn't know he wrote a novel
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Sometimes it feels like off panel Hope channeling the PF, Wanda, Doc Strange and Galactus all did a ritual with the infinity gems and the incantations was "NO MORE CHARACTER GROWTH!"

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    he had a thing for red heads too? I didn't know he wrote a novel
    FIRST FLIGHT is a trilogy series of Novels! I recall getting him having a big signing for one of them right around the time he "retired" from X-MEN

Loving this custom flight suit Madelyne figure!
    Last edited by Thirteen; 05-21-2024 at 05:58 AM.

Fantastic Member

Guys, I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this question, but can anybody contrast Jean's and Madelyne's personalities? From the issues I read, Maddie stood up to Scott a bit more and didn't just follow him. She seemed a bit more independent. Any observations would be appreciated.

--jthree

Well, in regards to CC's usual tropes, I went and looked at some of the other comics that he wrote for Marvel in the past. One of his favorite stories, mind control pops up a bit.

In the old Miss Marvel comics that he wrote staring Carol Danvers, mind control was used at least once

In an issue of the old Champions comics from the 1970's, mind control was used.

In the Spider-Woman series that introduced Siryn, Siryn used mind control on Angel.

I did not read all of these comics, I got the summaries from marveldatabase.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Well, in regards to CC's usual tropes, I went and looked at some of the other comics that he wrote for Marvel in the past. One of his favorite stories, mind control pops up a bit.

In the old Miss Marvel comics that he wrote staring Carol Danvers, mind control was used at least once

In an issue of the old Champions comics from the 1970's, mind control was used.

In the Spider-Woman series that introduced Siryn, Siryn used mind control on Angel.

I did not read all of these comics, I got the summaries from marveldatabase.
    Lots and LOTS of mind control issues despite characters having "indomitable will".
    CBR did an lists but most of them seem to boil down to his oft used catch phrases, which are less worrisome than storyline tendencies...

If you've not read much of Claremont's work, you're in a great position to not be bothered by any of them, and I envy that position after years of reading comics!