Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Men Unlimited #140 - Fall of X #20 - Review/Spoilers

Great issue!

We open with the terrifying, gigantic blood-covered Selene towering over Captain Britain's group. She says her ascension is nearly complete and that she has ached to show the Krakoans how wrong they were when they declared themselves gods. (Oh brother). Rictor asks if they can stop her and Betsy says they have no choice.

She really is terrifying. Thunderbird pushes Warpath out of the way as one of the blood drops splashes in front of them, steaming. From it grows a blood golem monster. Jimmy notes that it's an army, a soldier in every drop. As they start fighting the golems, Shatterstar says in the arena it was customary to fight until all the blood possible had been spilled. Rictor is like Selene's got a lot more blood to spare than they do.

"... and we cannot fall." Across Nova Roma Dani's team rushes towards the fight, battling the newly forming blood golems. Cerebra is concerned about the children they're leaving behind but Dani reassures her that they are far from undefended with Aguila, Tulkas, Somnus and many Madroxes helping them, everyone with their powers restored. They get close to giant Selene and Dani tells the group that Selene's ascension rite works by chronomancy, that the only way she's pulling it off is by using Tempo. We see Tempo inside Selene's amulet trying to break out, banging on it from inside.

In a really cool move, Escapade borrows Velocidad's gifts which allows her to outrace Selene's telepathy. She uses her repulsor tech to launch herself up and gets close enough to the amulet to take Tempo's place inside. Velocidad catches Tempo as she falls. It's really cool. Selene immediately notices that Tempo is gone but before she can act Magma distracts her for a bit. This allows Escapade to escape the amulet as Selene tries to crush Magma.

Dani now says it's on Selene alone to kill and collect enough life to complete ascension. She's using the full force of her mutant gifts to finish the job so they need Cerebra to tell her X-gene not to comply. It won't be easy so she'll need a boost from Khora.

Selene starts to give a speech about how the seven plagues are pantomime compared to what she'll rain down on them all when suddenly her bloody, gigantic self implodes. The blood golems start melting down as the ascension has been disturbed. Selene is now her regular size/appearance and she's furious, blood all around her. She demands to know what "absolute worm" would meddle with her gift. "WHAT SUICIDAL FOOL WOULD DARE SNATCH DIVINITY FROM MY GRASP?!"

Dani, walking through the pool of blood, approaches. "That'd be me."
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Excellent issue. Great use of the large cast with cool moments for many of the characters. I'm looking forward to the fight between Dani and Selene.

Cannot wait to see Selene's greatest fears bite her in her bloody ass

Loved this issue, especially for Dani’s leadership. She’s been a bit stuck in the “well meaning educator” role for a while so it was great to see her here as such a competent field leader.

Another excellent issue. I want this series to continue with these writers.

I can't stand Selene. I hope she gets completely nullified and is never heard from again.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

This seems to be a familiar story. Very Necrosha-esque plot with different set of players and characters. Of course, Selene will be defeated in the coming Final Boss fight. Which I'm looking forward.
    Peerless and Fearless

Im not knocking the art. Art is subjective. But this hands down would have been cemented as best arc in the last year if i was in a monthly title with an artist like RB or Pepe Larraz.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsarchamp View Post
    This seems to be a familiar story. Very Necrosha-esque plot with different set of players and characters. Of course, Selene will be defeated in the coming Final Boss fight. Which I'm looking forward.
    At least the magical Native American that defeats her this time has a history with her and is not relying on a deus machina had been given to them by a guy with a flaming skull for a head.
    Last edited by norj; 05-20-2024 at 07:39 AM.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Excellent issue. Great use of the large cast with cool moments for many of the characters. I'm looking forward to the fight between Dani and Selene.
    Same here, Sibz.

New Mutants old Grudges is a nice call back to when the OG NM first encountered Selene and I can't wait! I know Dani has had a few power upgrades over the years but Selene is still That Evil Psychic Vampire Witch with a capital B...so One-on-One might need a rethink.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-20-2024 at 09:03 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Loved this issue, especially for Dani’s leadership. She’s been a bit stuck in the “well meaning educator” role for a while so it was great to see her here as such a competent field leader.
    Yupp. It will be great is she led one of those "yet to be announced" books in the FtA Era.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Now I really wonder if Dani will become Apocalypse’s pick for his earth bound successor. I’d love to see Dani going around testing mutants (not trying to kill them though, but really get them to survive).

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Now I really wonder if Dani will become Apocalypse’s pick for his earth bound successor. I’d love to see Dani going around testing mutants (not trying to kill them though, but really get them to survive).
    Dani using her empathic illusions to force people to face their problems and grow as a person would be a lot more effective than anything Apocalypse has done. It doesn't hurt that she trained Nightmare's son to work as a therapist.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

BANNED

Looking at the art on this and X-Men #2 and thinking if this was the standard when I was a kid I would never have got into X-Men.

I’m not even an art snob, I lean far heavier on good writing but this is really bad.

Phillip Sevy confirmed on X that we're going to #142! Sweet.

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    At least the magical Native American that defeats her this time has a history with her and is not relying on a deus machina had been given to them by a guy with a flaming skull for a head.
    At least, for me, Necrosha was one of the best events in the Utopia era in line with the Messiah Trilogy, Age of X and Schism. This arc is really good side story of FOX compared to the other printed issues.
    Peerless and Fearless