Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    In AvX Luke gave Namor a really hard time while fighting in water if I recall correctly. Namor didn't loose but the idea that Cage who has always been 20-40 ton max character would give Namor a hard time when he suppose to be 90-100 plus is just sad.
    he got a serious upgrade after becoming a bendis pet character; for better and worse. here's him super-jumping like the Hulk.

I am not a big fan of power ups. The more powerful the more restrictions on the writer. I prefer the character lean and mean.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    The Spot

I was watching a Youtube video and they had the 5 or 10 worst superpowers and the Spot was on the list. All I could think about was how the hell does the ability to open interdimensional portal be consider a bad power. If I had that power, I would deadly as hell.

Attachment 54621
    I think he has cool powers, too, but it's probably the name that's his undoing. Either that, or they should have made him a canine-like type alien creature.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I am not a big fan of power ups. The more powerful the more restrictions on the writer. I prefer the character lean and mean.
    Neither am I for different reasons, More powerful characters make writers sloppy. People develop tactics because they lack raw power. Dragon Ball went from Pilaf to Berus in what 30 years?

In AvX Luke gave Namor a really hard time while fighting in water if I recall correctly. Namor didn't loose but the idea that Cage who has always been 20-40 ton max character would give Namor a hard time when he suppose to be 90-100 plus is just sad.
    My multiple personality disorder surfaces when it comes to Luke. If he just going to be Luke Cage, then I don't need him to be any stronger than Tigra or Spider-Man. But if he's going to go by the name, Power Man, then yes, let's boost him up to Thing or Wonder Man strength levels. Because I can remember a time when he was called Power Man, but could barely lift a compact car.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    This really does depend on the writer. With some it might be restricting, but there are some writers who find it absolutely liberating. There are stories that you can tell with really powerful characters that simply don't work as well with lesser powered characters without engaging in massive jobber-ism. But I can see how it could get boring, especially if the characters was someone like the Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he got a serious upgrade after becoming a bendis pet character; for better and worse. here's him super-jumping like the Hulk.

Theoretically all the super strong characters will super strong legs should be able to Hulk jump. Most just don't try.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Theoretically all the super strong characters will super strong legs should be able to Hulk jump. Most just don't try.
    that looks like at least a city block jump. Luke has never been that strong. he wasn't even spider-man level in the 80s. Peter can't jump a city block; last I checked.

To be far, in another book, Namor was shown smacking Cage across an island. But yeah, Luke shouldn't have given Namor that much trouble to begin with. Though Luke's power level has been incredibly inconsistent since he's become more popular. I remember seeing him carry a big truck and trying to remember the last time I've seen him do something that required that much strength.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

that looks like at least a city block jump. Luke has never been that strong. he wasn't even spider-man level in the 80s. Peter can't jump a city block; last I checked.
    Cage at this point is stronger than Spider-Man. He was upgraded since his Power Man days in the 80's.

A couple of things to keep in mind. First, whenever Marvel jots down strength, they're usually referring to bench press (arms and upper body) strength. We have to remember that a person's leg strength can easily be 2x-3x stronger than our bench press strength, especially for individuals who train in the gym properly. Secondly, the average city block in NY is only about 1/20th of a mile, or roughly about 264 ft., or 88 yards for those of you who follow football. Luke weighs about 400 lbs. Even if we assume that Luke's leg and lower body strength is only in the 40 ton range, he should be able jump a NY city block. That said, this is comics, so the science isn't always exact.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-13-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    A couple of things to keep in mind. First, whenever Marvel jots down strength, they're usually referring to bench press (arms and upper body) strength. We have to remember that a person's leg strength can easily be 2x stronger than our bench press strength, especially for individuals who train in the gym properly. Secondly, the average city block in NY is only about 1/20th of a mile, or roughly about 264 ft., or 88 yards for those of you who follow football. Luke weighs about 400 lbs. Even if we assume that Luke's leg strength is only in the 40 ton range, he should be able jump a NY city block. That said, this is comics, so the science isn't always exact.
    There's also the point that to jump enormous heights it's more a matter of how fast you can release the contracted muscles, rather than their absolute strength.

Fleas can jump far higher (for their height) than large majority of other insects not because they are stronger (they aren't) but because release of their contracted leg muscles is far faster.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    There's also the point that to jump enormous heights it's more a matter of how fast you can release the contracted muscles, rather than their absolute strength.

Fleas can jump far higher (for their height) than large majority of other insects not because they are stronger (they aren't) but because release of their contracted leg muscles is far faster.
    Does that mean speedsters should be able to jump higher and further than anyone else?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Does that mean speedsters should be able to jump higher and further than anyone else?
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    To be far, in another book, Namor was shown smacking Cage across an island. But yeah, Luke shouldn't have given Namor that much trouble to begin with. Though Luke's power level has been incredibly inconsistent since he's become more popular. I remember seeing him carry a big truck and trying to remember the last time I've seen him do something that required that much strength.

True forgot about him smacking Cage across the island.

It's mostly the in water thing that gets me. Namor underwater use to have his strength magnified tenfold. He should be unrivaled for the most part in his element.

I also like Cage better when he is shown to be in the 20-40 range. There are so many 100 plus characters on teams that having a character who has to think more when using his strength or going against enemies becomes more entertaining. If Cage had given Namor a hard time because he was out thinking him with his strength I wouldn't even care and be bragging about the scene on forums like these. But in a straight brawl with Namor? Nah, not buying it.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.