Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Have The X-Books Been Recently?

Back when Gold and Blue started I read the first two issues of each and found them extremely underwhelming (which sucks because Gold is practically my ideal X-Men team line-up and I've really enjoyed everything with the time-displaced X-Men up to this point). Due to financial circumstances at the time I had to drop most titles from my pull list, and so for the first time since I started reading comics (started buying monthlies as they came out around the time of Gillen/Fraction, but have been buying Claremont back issues for a bit longer) I wasn't buying any X-Men, and that's felt a bit sad and like something is missing each month (especially considering that my personal holy trinity when it comes to Marvel are Spider-Man, Daredevil and the X-Men). Well, now I'm in a better
    situation and able to have a larger pull list than I have in a couple of years now, so naturally I instantly want to throw the core X-Books into the mix! I thought that this coinciding with Legacy (and the upcoming return of older Jean) would be a good opportunity to revisit Gold and Blue, however I bought Gold #13 and just found it to be a bit "meh".

But then, I've just read Astonishing #1-4, and loved it! I wish that I felt that way while reading Gold, because I much prefer the team over there, but oh well. Gutted that this isn't an ongoing, but I'd rather have it finish with a clear ending and stay high quality than become completely mediocre.

So I was wondering if Gold and Blue have been any good over the 10 issues I've missed and if I should catch up on them and this was just a dip, or are they still just not that good? And what about the solos? I don't tend to get on with X-Men solos that well, but if any of them are really worth reading then please let me know and I'll make sure to check them out! Thank you in advance!
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

If you check out any of the threads you will see people basically hate GOLD and are mixed to somewhat positive on BLUE

WEAPON X no idea what avg opinion on that is, for me personally its meh

I think GENERATION X is awesome and the best book, yes much better than ASTONISHING.

ASTONISHING has only been 4 issues people are jumping the gun saying it's so great tbh, issue 3 sucked. Issue 1 had amazing art that is why people went gaga over the book probably also they liked the characters (well besides Fantomex). To me it makes no sense why is Xavier alive, why does he seem evil, etc. Too much Old Man Logan focus for me, and I hate how the writer is using Angel as well. The focus on Mystique, Rogue, Bishop is good though
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

LooneyKoala :
    X-men books right now are better than previous relaunch.
    I think that best X-men books are:
    Astonishing X-men
    Uncanny Avengers
    All New Wolverine
    Old Man Logan

Gold have perfect lineup (almost) but mediocre writing
    Blue have better writing but weaker lineup

Cable : I dropped I like James Robinson but it was too slow
    Blue: Is good. I don't even like the teen X-Men and it's good.
    Iceman: I find it a bit hit or miss.
    Jean Grey: Really improving as it goes in my opinion. I am actually it.
    Gold: Consistent but not ground breaking
    All New Wolverine: Solid superhero book. A real suprise.
    Generation X: A bit meh
    Astonishing X-Men: For some reason i just don't care.
    Old Man Logan: Never read it.
    Weapon X: Dropped it. The X-Force books aren't really my bag.

BANNED

Overall, pretty decent.

Blue is mostly really good.
    Gold is OK.
    Jean is great.
    Generation X is great.
    Astonishing pretty decent.

I find myself in the same position as you looking to start collecting the X-Books again. I've jumped onto Blue and Gold as of right now with the start of the current Mojo Worldwide Arc and while it hasn't been fantastic so far I've found it decent enough. After it finishes I can image myself picking up Blue on a regular basis because I must admit than I'm just more familiar with the time-dispatched X-Men. However, I'm definitely excited for and will pick up Phoenix Resurrection.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlinger1997 View Post
    I find myself in the same position as you looking to start collecting the X-Books again. I've jumped onto Blue and Gold as of right now with the start of the current Mojo Worldwide Arc and while it hasn't been fantastic so far I've found it decent enough. After it finishes I can image myself picking up Blue on a regular basis because I must admit than I'm just more familiar with the time-dispatched X-Men. However, I'm definitely excited for and will pick up Phoenix Resurrection.
    When did "decent enough" become adequate for a recommendation? It's very unfortunate that it's come to this.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

dreadful

/10

Just started All-New Wolverine and I'm having a good time.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    When did "decent enough" become adequate for a recommendation? It's very unfortunate that it's come to this.
    Agreed, gotta be better than that to earn my dollars.

Not very good. Ressurexion didn't solve anything. Not that I'm surprised.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Just started All-New Wolverine and I'm having a good time.
    Forgot to mention All-New Wolverine in my first post. The book is usually pretty good as well.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I haven't really enjoyed either flagship. That said:

If you enjoy nostalgia and really like Kitty Pryde you might like Gold.

If you like the concept of Exiles books and a 90's style Jean you'll probably like Blue. Although, if you didn't like the first two issues you probably won't like the rest, as they were easily the strongest of the series, imo.

I've really been enjoying Gen-X and Iceman. I prefer character focused storytelling and those books scratch that itch nicely.

Jean Grey has been fine, if a bit repetitive in structure. It is likely to improve in upcoming Legacy issues.

Cable has a soft relaunch in Legacy that looks promising, reminiscent of early X-Force.

I flip through most books when I pick up my pull list, and while they all have good concepts the execution always seems lacking to me. Decent enough isn't enough.

My impressions so far:

- Blue is ok, not great but certainly not bad enough to get me to drop it.
    - Gold leaves me cold, which is a shame because I really wanted to like it.
    - Generation X is a really good book, great writing but it needs much better art. My favourite in this run.
    - All New Wolverine is also good, loving Laura in that role. My second favourite after Gen X.
    - Tried OML, couldn’t get into it.
    - Can’t speak to the others, as I haven’t read them. But based on recommendations I’ll probably start grabbing issues of Astonishing and Iceman from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.