Mighty Member

Default No matter what people say or write people are sometimes negative

I think Marvel Legacy and the comics marvel is shipping is some of the best comics and with the return of Jean,logan and pro X not to mention Adam Warlock.I feel 2018 will be great for Marvel

It is strange how its almost taboo to say that you are enjoying current Marvel books. I am, and I think 2018 will be a brighter year for the books. Then again, I am still kinda new to fandom but I think there has always been a certain sense of negativity nomatter the era, I just think things like forums and social media has made it much easier to vent. I would love to trove through the letter pages of the 70/80/80/90's etc. Some people seem to make out that such times was perfection and everyone loved everything Marvel was doing, which I doubt very much.

You are correct, Valamist, in that people did vent in the mags, but the letters page was very calm and mild compared to what people would write today if they still existed.

The worst "threat" I remember reading is a fan who said they would stop spending their quarter (yes, really!) every month because of something that was changed about the character (FF mag, I believe).

Usually there were questions about the character, powers, costumes or comments on what they liked.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

^ Eh, not always. One of my favorites was a letter after the death of Jean Grey that just said "Dear Chris Claremont, You Stink! Murderer."

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    It is strange how its almost taboo to say that you are enjoying current Marvel books. I am, and I think 2018 will be a brighter year for the books. Then again, I am still kinda new to fandom but I think there has always been a certain sense of negativity nomatter the era, I just think things like forums and social media has made it much easier to vent. I would love to trove through the letter pages of the 70/80/80/90's etc. Some people seem to make out that such times was perfection and everyone loved everything Marvel was doing, which I doubt very much.
    I like old stuff, but I also like the books I'm currently reading (if I didn't, I wouldn't read them). People seem upset by the lack of wholesale changes and I'm here thinking "I don't want my books to change."
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

In fairness, I doubt if the letters that they printed were the only letters they received Granted, it’s a lot more effort to write a letter, seal it in an envelope, and send it by post, than it is to write on a message board, but still - there would have been letters no doubt they would not have printed. Many more people read comics in the past, after all. The differences in fan reaction/fan culture between now and then are exaggerated - the medium has changed more than the sentiment.

I recall pretty clearly some of the furious letters published in the early issues of X-Factor, when readers were steamed up about the whole Scott/Madelyne Pryor situation. Hell some people are still angry about that now.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't try to bum others out with my opinion. I personally haven't enjoyed what I've read, but I won't insult someone for liking a book. In fact, if I get a recommendation on here, I try it out. I think maybe if you say you enjoy Marvel now some might think that you're a brownnoser, and if you say you don't like Marvel's direction some might think you're saying that there aren't any good books at Marvel.

I think we should all give each other the benefit of the doubt.

Incredible Member

Well, it is the internet and social media. People are going to overly negative. If you want to be on forums like these you have to have pretty thick skin one way or the other.

Marvel books I'm reading and enjoying:
    Black Bolt
    Iron Fist
    Falcon
    Luke Cage
    Mighty Thor

There are some good titles out there.