Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogvampire View Post
    I loved X-Men:Evolution, probably my favorite of the X-Men cartoons.

As for Secret Warriors the more that I look at the character designs the more I love them. I like how it kind of have a mix of more traditional superhero design along with a more Disney feel too it. I'm not sure why they gave Quake purple highlights but with way she looks cool.

This is also the kind of stuff that I’ve been waiting for from Marvel. If Marvel wants the younger generation of characters to become successful and popular they have to put them in TV shows and go beyond just comics. Also I think its pretty cool that this is going to be geared more towards girls. If DC and Star Wars can have a series targeted towards girls why can't Marvel? But yeah, overall I’m pretty excited about this. Hope it does well.
    And deliver memorable and good cartoons too.

There's a reason DC cartoons are as well-remembered as they are.

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Yep, totally agree with you there. When it comes to cartoons DC definitely has the upper hand here.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

So is Hala basically a female Ronan?

I know she was in Bendis' Guardians run and the Telltale Guardians game but she basically just sounds like a female Ronan from her description here.

In true Gwen Stacy fashion she's taking from someone else's style and making it her own .
    I never saw Hala.

But isn't that the name Carol would invoke early in her Ms Marvel career?

Yes - because it's also the name of the Kree homeworld.

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    I openly hate America Chavez because she is a truly awful character that does a disservice to the the Latin American population and the latino characters that preceded her.
    Quoted 4 Truth

TL;DR

I'm very glad Marvel is doing this.

My four year old daughter, when she first saw DC Super Hero Girls, was wearing a Robin t-shirt (with cape, natch!) and came up running yelling "They're like me!!" I've never seen her so excited about any other cartoon or movie. That these heroes were girls, and kids, and not wearing armor or spandex but something my daughter herself could wear? That blew her little baby brain.

Now she gets another version with new characters? My wife and I are thrilled that our kids (we also have a son) get to grow up in a world where girls have some strong role models and escapist heroines to follow. And while it's good for my daughter to see that women can be strong and independent (she sees that in her mother, but socialization goes far beyond the home) its also important that my son recognize that women can be strong, independent, and capable. Again, we drive these lessons in at home, but the world is a big place that influences kids too.

The lack of a mutant and the presence of like, three Inhumans is a little disappointing. Laura or someone would've been nice. But my daughter isn't going to care, and that's the bottom line.

So I'm thrilled about this. My wallet, on the other hand........
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah I must admit my niece is starting to get to that age where she might be keen on geek stuff but it's hard to find good stuff for her

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    TL;DR

I'm very glad Marvel is doing this.

My four year old daughter, when she first saw DC Super Hero Girls, was wearing a Robin t-shirt (with cape, natch!) and came up running yelling "They're like me!!" I've never seen her so excited about any other cartoon or movie. That these heroes were girls, and kids, and not wearing armor or spandex but something my daughter herself could wear? That blew her little baby brain.

Now she gets another version with new characters? My wife and I are thrilled that our kids (we also have a son) get to grow up in a world where girls have some strong role models and escapist heroines to follow. And while it's good for my daughter to see that women can be strong and independent (she sees that in her mother, but socialization goes far beyond the home) its also important that my son recognize that women can be strong, independent, and capable. Again, we drive these lessons in at home, but the world is a big place that influences kids too.

The lack of a mutant and the presence of like, three Inhumans is a little disappointing. Laura or someone would've been nice. But my daughter isn't going to care, and that's the bottom line.

So I'm thrilled about this. My wallet, on the other hand........
    Awwnt, it's so sweet to read something like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Yeah I must admit my niece is starting to get to that age where she might be keen on geek stuff but it's hard to find good stuff for her
    I got my girlfriend's younger sis hooked on The Legend of Korra but admittedly she was already 11 by then so she could appreciate some of the show's more mature themes to a degree. She's now into the follow-up comics.

I think for younger kids you could always go with the original Teen Titans show and DC Superhero Girls. My younger sister used to love X-Men: Evolution and The Powerpuff Girls when she was a kid so you could find the shows on home video (older iterations in the case of PPG) and see how your niece reacts to them. When it comes to comics, I've heard a lot of neat stuff about Goldie Vance.

If she is okay with really old school cartoons then see if she's interested in Jem! That show was insanely ahead of the curve when it came to representation of women in children's entertainment.

I hope Marvel Animation's in-house studio isn't working on this.

I like the promotional art but I've been fooled before (looking at you Marvel's Spider-Man) .
    Yikes, it's that awful, huh? No wonder my friend strongly discouraged me from checking it out. Also for me, no MJ = no thanks

If she is okay with really old school cartoons then see if she's interested in Jem! That show was insanely ahead of the curve when it came to representation of women in children's entertainment.
    What about she-ra?

Or sailor moon?

All-New Member

Red face

What about Miraculous? Or even Power Rangers?

To be fair, though, I think Ascended also made a point that the DC Super Hero Girls’ clothes weren’t armour or spandex, but much more casual clothes that you could wear on a day to day basis versus something like She-Ra (Armour), the Sailors (Uniforms) or Ladybug and the Power Rangers (Spandex).

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Because they’re irrelevant now right. People are all about the new legacy characters selling 15,000 copies and dreadfully reinvented characters that used to be good like Carol Danvers and Squirrel Girl that get similar sales figures.
    We're living in a world where the Guardians of the Galaxy are now pop culture icons despite the fact that their latest book wasn't selling well and just got axed. That really doesn't matter anymore. Marvel has shown they can sell a property regardless of how many copies the monthly comics move because most of the audience exists outside the LCS circle anyway.

Better animation being one of those reasons.

Marvel really needs to improve their animation quality. They can't rely on "It's Marvel!" and think people will just watch regardless.