Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Phoenix Ressurrection #2: Spoilers Be Here

We open in space as a an astronaut does maintenance on the international space station. He looks over in shock to see an explosion of flame coming from the moon.

Elsewhere, our friend Jean is trying to sleep but not having much luck. She's having a nightmare and talking in her sleep.

Jean: It's better this way. Quick. Clean. Final.

She wakes with a start and all the objects in the room she was levitating subconsciously come crashing down. Later she's rushing out the door while saying hi to the lawn care man, Jamie. She jokes that she's always late while he seems to be everywhere at once. As she drives away, Jamie...multiplies.

Back at the Xavier institute, Kitty is trying to figure out with her X-Men what is going on. In short, they have no idea except that it involves the Phoenix. Storm asks if this could be Jean coming back. Old Man Logan says it most definitely is not; only the big flaming bird.

Young Scott asks if they're sure the random energy signatures Cerebro found weren't mutant related. After all, that's what it does. Beast affirms that whatever Cerebro found, it's something they haven't seen before. Kitty says they haven't found any new signals because all their psychics are either out of commission or missing. She mentions Teen Jean and everyone who was last seen in Jean Grey #10. No one knows where they are and they have people out looking for them.

Cable asserts that they still have one psychic left.

Elsewhere, Jean is at work at the diner when a customer comes in. His name is Erik, and he's wearing a star of David.

Erik: I was friends with your old teacher.
    Jean: Oh, Mr. Claremont?
    Erik: No. Not him.

He asks her what she could have if she could have anything. To her this means off the diner menu, but it might not be what Erik was referring to.

Cable is in Cerebro looking for signs of...anything. He picks something up, but when asked to describe it all he can say is "Pain" before Cerebro shorts out knocking him unconscious. Now the X-Men are out of psychics.

Elsewhere, Jean goes back into the diner kitchen to give Erik's order to the diner chef John (Proudstar). Annie quizzes Jean as it's clear she's not feeling well. Jean mentions that she had a nightmare where she died on the moon and it feels like someone's been poking around in her brain. Annie implores Jean to go see Dr. Mactaggert about this, but Jean dodges her concern to take Erik's order out to him...except he's gone.

Kitty is giving her rally the troops speech on the front stoop of the institute. Most of the X-Men will be divided into teams to handle any Phoenix phenomena they can find while Beast and Jubilee's teams look for all their missing teammates. The teams head out to:
    - Jamaica Bay
    - The ruins of Genosha
    - New York City sewers
    - The Savage Land

None of them find anything.

Iceman's team has presumably returned to the mansion to be confronted by a posturing Magneto, who's wearing his 90's era costume. He proclaims that not all mutants are fit to rule the world and must be destroyed. Iceman orders his team to take him down. They don't get anywhere, but it's clear Magneto isn't all there as he quips mid-fight:

Erik: May I get a fresh cup when you have a moment?

He gets a lock on Laura, saying she looks oddly familiar. She manages to stab him in the head with her foot claw, but he promptly disappears when she does.

Elsewhere, Erik has appeared in Annie's diner again and Jean is surprised as she thought he'd left. He said he ran out real quick because he thought he saw people he knew. Jean asks if he did. Erik says he didn't know ALL of them. Jean mentions the blood coming out of his nose. He says it's from an old war injury.

Jean: You were in the war?
    Erik: I was the war.

Erik mentions Jean seems to be feeling better. Jean says she feel like she is as she looks out the diner window, to see her small town engulfed in Phoenix fire. Erik replies "Good" as he casually drinks his coffee.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post

Back at the diner, Erik says this to Jean as well, due to which she realizes he is back.

Two other points

* Loved the Claremont name drop
    * Wasn't Genosha destroyed during the most recent Uncanny X-Men run written by Cullen Bunn ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    We open in space as a an astronaut does maintenance on the international space station. He looks over in shock to see an explosion of flame coming from the moon.

Elsewhere, our friend Jean is trying to sleep but not having much luck. She's having a nightmare and talking in her sleep.

Jean: It's better this way. Quick. Clean. Final.

She wakes with a start and all the objects in the room she was levitating subconsciously come crashing down. Later she's rushing out the door while saying hi to the lawn care man, Jamie. She jokes that she's always late while he seems to be everywhere at once. As she drives away, Jamie...multiplies.

Back at the Xavier institute, Kitty is trying to figure out with her X-Men what is going on. In short, they have no idea except that it involves the Phoenix. Storm asks if this could be Jean coming back. Old Man Logan says it most definitely is not; only the big flaming bird.

Young Scott asks if they're sure the random energy signatures Cerebro found weren't mutant related. After all, that's what it does. Beast affirms that whatever Cerebro found, it's something they haven't seen before. Kitty says they haven't found any new signals because all their psychics are either out of commission or missing. She mentions Teen Jean and everyone who was last seen in Jean Grey #10. No one knows where they are and they have people out looking for them.

Cable asserts that they still have one psychic left.

Elsewhere, Jean is at work at the diner when a customer comes in. His name is Erik, and he's wearing a star of David.

Erik: I was friends with your old teacher.
    Jean: Oh, Mr. Claremont?
    Erik: No. Not him.

He asks her what she could have if she could have anything. To her this means off the diner menu, but it might not be what Erik was referring to.

Cable is in Cerebro looking for signs of...anything. He picks something up, but when asked to describe it all he can say is "Pain" before Cerebro shorts out knocking him unconscious. Now the X-Men are out of psychics.

Elsewhere, Jean goes back into the diner kitchen to give Erik's order to the diner chef John (Proudstar). Annie quizzes Jean as it's clear she's not feeling well. Jean mentions that she had a nightmare where she died on the moon and it feels like someone's been poking around in her brain. Annie implores Jean to go see Dr. Mactaggert about this, but Jean dodges her concern to take Erik's order out to him...except he's gone.

Kitty is giving her rally the troops speech on the front stoop of the institute. Most of the X-Men will be divided into teams to handle any Phoenix phenomena they can find while Beast and Jubilee's teams look for all their missing teammates. The teams head out to:
    - Jamaica Bay
    - The ruins of Genosha
    - New York City sewers
    - The Savage Land

None of them find anything.

Iceman's team has presumably returned to the mansion to be confronted by a posturing Magneto, who's wearing his 90's era costume. He proclaims that not all mutants are fit to rule the world and must be destroyed. Iceman orders his team to take him down. They don't get anywhere, but it's clear Magneto isn't all there as he quips mid-fight:

He gets a lock on Laura, saying she looks oddly familiar. She manages to stab him in the head with her foot claw, but he promptly disappears when she does.

Elsewhere, Erik has appeared in Annie's diner again and Jean is surprised as she thought he'd left. He said he ran out real quick because he thought he saw people he knew. Jean asks if he did. Erik says he didn't know ALL of them. Jean mentions the blood coming out of his nose. He says it's from an old war injury.

Jean: You were in the war?
    Erik: I was the war.

Erik mentions Jean seems to be feeling better. Jean says she feel like she is as she looks out the diner window, to see her small town engulfed in Phoenix fire. Erik replies "Good" as he casually drinks his coffee.
    Magneto's appearance raises some significant question marks. Up until then, all the people Jean has seen in her world, and whom we know, are dead (Banshee being sort of stuck halfway in between). But the current arc in Blue notwithstanding, Magneto is NOT. OTOH, Jean's Magneto doesn't know Laura, explaining how she got the drop on his Ghostneto projection with her foot claws. So if Real!Mags is alive, then who or what is Ghostneto?

Magneto being a projection of Jean's mind seems to erase Scott's resurrection. He's likely just conjured up from Jean's mind too.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Well, that was pretty good. It nicely addresses the issue of why nobody brought up spoilers:
    Jeen’s death
    end of spoilers in JG #10 in the first issue - nobody knows about it.

But am I missing something here? “No one knows where Monet is”? Jubilee and Chamber know exactly where she is. And in her current state she’s not likely to be much help.

Bobby got all the best lines in this one - funny as hell. I got the impression that Rosenberg doesn’t like Chamber much though.

Great to see Jubes leading a team in this - I hope we get to see her team and Hank’s searching for lost teammates in the next issue.

The last panel with Maybe Mags and Diner Jean was as creepy as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Magneto being a projection of Jean's mind seems to erase Scott's resurrection. He's likely just conjured up from Jean's mind too.
    yep, I was disappointed fake cyclops wasn't in this issue at all. Would have been nice to see interaction, even if it was fake.

i'm trying my best to overlook rosenberg turning thunderbird into a fat fry cook ... which is the exact same thing they did to scalphunter (one of the only other native american mutants there is) a few years ago ..

the rest was very enjoyable. jean seems to be stuck in her own riverdale fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Magneto's appearance raises some significant question marks. Up until then, all the people Jean has seen in her world, and whom we know, are dead (Banshee being sort of stuck halfway in between). But the current arc in Blue notwithstanding, Magneto is NOT. OTOH, Jean's Magneto doesn't know Laura, explaining how she got the drop on his Ghostneto projection with her foot claws. So if Real!Mags is alive, then who or what is Ghostneto?
    I've long suspected there was going to be a malicious third party involved in this, but there's also the possibility that Jean is dong this purely to herself and the Phoenix is coming to break her out of it. It's also worth noting that Jean's mindscape (or whatever it is) seems to not only have her stuck in a certain point but in a certain point in time as everyone that appears in her world seems to be based off their 90's incarnations. The mysteries are piling up....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    yep, I was disappointed fake cyclops wasn't in this issue at all. Would have been nice to see interaction, even if it was fake.
    At least there was SOME Jean/Cyclops interaction in the series. Laura and Hellion share panel space with one another for the first time in a couple years and don't even say one word to each other.

I'm really intrigued with what that all means. So apparently it's not only dead people? Is there some time travel shit considering how Magneto was on this? As I said on her thread, I like the theory that Jean is actually creating this world subconsciouly, and surprisingly, the Phoenix will actually bring her back to normal.

Also, again lots of references and stuff. The DPS nightmare, the shameless "Mr Claremont" line. As a Jean fan I love all those nods.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I haven't read the issue but i'm a bit dissapointed marvel teased scott in the previous issue just to do nothing with him and jean.

That Magneto could be Xorn. No telepaths? They have Psylocke, Martha, Ink??

BANNED

Could Magneto be Xorneto?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    That Magneto could be Xorn. No telepaths? They have Psylocke, Martha, Ink??
    Psylocke is said in the book to be out of commission. Martha is just an X-Teen and god forbid they be allowed to do something.

Not as strong as last issue, but it was nice to see Cable with the rest of the X-men in the present...for a minute at least. Before he got nerfed and taken off the board, similar to AvX when they put him in a coma after X-Sanction. *sigh*