51 62.20%
  • No I don't like all the new Mutant Characters

31 37.80%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Default IYO.... Was making the Xavier Institute a bigger school a bad idea?

After X1 introduced the idea of Xavier's as a school for hundreds the comics adapted that premise starting with New X-MEN from Morrison.

Was this a good or bad idea iyo?

More diversity is good but some would say the characters were just wallpaper.

I'm interested in the results
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Horrible idea.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

It was a mixed bag. The X-Men were due for a modernizing and I liked that Morrison opened up the concept to where being a mutant at Xavier's didn't automatically mean you were destined to become an X-Man. It also opened up discussion for the mutant situation that was not solely on either side of the Xavier-Magneto binary, for no matter how right or wrong the early advocates for civil rights are, the concepts always evolve and it rarely stays a "this or that" concept.

But, where Morrison actually used the key students he created, opening things up paved the way for later writers to make new mutants willy-nilly. In Wolverine and the X-Men it felt like a lot of new characters were created as one-note sight gags and it took later writers to do much of anything with them if they were lucky.

The other problem is it paved the way for making a bunch of characters that were inherently disposable.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    This image pretty much.

This isn’t really a binary question. There should be a third option for “I like some but not all”. That’s where I am, so I didn’t vote.

I’m a fan of Laura, Roxy and Cessily, and Pixie has grown on me. Rockslide’s ok. Jury’s out on Gabby, but she seems ok. Completely ambivalent toward the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

I mostly don't care about the teenage characters, but I like the idea of the school as a refugee safe place for mutants... And a school of course. I think it's important that the X-Men are actually doing something for all the mutant kids in the world rather than just being a random mutant team, you know.

HOT take: Academy X, New Mutants, and Generation X were the only titles that could make a X-School concept work. Generation Hope, WatXM, Morrison-Men, and Young X-Men were all hot garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I mostly don't care about the teenage characters, but I like the idea of the school as a refugee safe place for mutants... And a school of course. I think it's important that the X-Men are actually doing something for all the mutant kids in the world rather than just being a random mutant team, you know.
    X-Corporation/Mutants sans Frontiers was the ticket for that. I like my X-Men to be an effective action team(s) that put out fires in the bubbling race war and shows the world mutants can be the world's best protectors. Most of them are not qualified to be school teachers, they are not baby sitters, and they actually endanger the concentrated masses of children more often than protect them. Storm was right to take the team underground and sever ties with the NM after Fall of the Mutants(assuming Magneto could hold the fort may have been an error in judgement).

Imagine making it big, then all of a sudden... every relative you never met or heard for some reason starting invading/staying at your household. That's how I feel about all those unnecessary new mutant kids.

Singer just wanted an excuse to cast more teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Imagine making it big, then all of a sudden... .
    Idk I wouldn't mind some of the best x character are from this era going forward imo. Stepford Cucooko's are awesome imo

Singer just wanted an excuse to cast more teenagers.
    Let's not take it there plz... Thread just started
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Only Morrison made the big school concept work. I can't stand it under anyone else.

And the Cuckoos are annoying. Did we really need a bunch of Emma clones running around here?

I don't understand the poll?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't understand the poll?
    Do you like Xavier's pre 2000 or post basically. The school changed drastically.

Some think it should've stayed as a mansion with less than 20 ppl in it. Others like it expanded.

Only Morrison made the big school concept work. I can't stand it under anyone else.

And the Cuckoos are annoying. Did we really need a bunch of Emma clones running around here?

I like New X-MEN & Academy X run.

Emma Clones are kinda cool. Logan has a bunch why not emma

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    I like New X-MEN & Academy X run.

Emma Clones are kinda cool. Logan has a bunch why not emma
    New X-Men and Academy were garbage. Way to make the X-Men some cheap Harry Potter knock off(hello, that was a rip off of X-Men in the first place!).

All Emma and Logan clones can go to their proper place: