Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Default So what jobs at the school do the older mutants have right now?

I'm curious of two things as we have a few X-Men books right now that mention the students and since it's a private school, what teachers posts do the X-men have there. Or if not there what jobs do they have out side of the school.

I heard that say Nightcrawler is the drama teacher, and for a while Spider-Man was science but who else teaches what subject?

And Warren runs a company, but does anyone else work?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I'm curious of two things as we have a few X-Men books right now that mention the students and since it's a private school, what teachers posts do the X-men have there. Or if not there what jobs do they have out side of the school.

I heard that say Nightcrawler is the drama teacher, and for a while Spider-Man was science but who else teaches what subject?

And Warren runs a company, but does anyone else work?
    I'd honestly like to see more attention paid to what the X-Men do outside of superheroics. I mean, Laura and Gabby have their apartment all paid for by the residents of Roosevelt Island, but does that cover utilities and food? The idea of seeing the X-Men working mundane day jobs appeals to me.

Paige "Husk" Guthrie is working on her psychology graduate degree.....

Iceman is an accountant.

Rogue and Cannonball are paid to be an Avenger, so those two don't need an ordinary job. Sam lives off planet anyway. Sunspot had been running AIM until recently. He'll presumably now take an Avengers wage as well. Jubilee, Chamber, Moonstar, and the X-Men Gold team are teachers, though I'm not sure where Kitty gets the money from! Namor and Magneto apparently fund the Red and Blue teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Rogue and Cannonball are paid to be an Avenger, so those two don't need an ordinary job. Sam lives off planet anyway. Sunspot had been running AIM until recently. He'll presumably now take an Avengers wage as well. Jubilee, Chamber, Moonstar, and the X-Men Gold team are teachers, though I'm not sure where Kitty gets the money from! Namor and Magneto apparently fund the Red and Blue teams.
    Jubilee and Chamber are essentially like art teachers. And by that I mean, having attended an art university after highschool, its basically a bunch of staff who lack proper teaching degrees or training but have "experience" in their respective field of expertise.
    So....
    Chamber teaches "Nobody wants to bone you because your mutation is gross or weird" class, while Jubilee fosters the "not appropriate for combat kids" because.....well....yeah. Sparkles?

X-Men have always been independently wealthy. It's probably better that way(to maintain status quo marginally analogous to our real world in the Marvel Universe. If mutants really tried applying their powers economically, they'd destroy this fiat currency backed nonsense in no time. Free energy, revolutions in transportation, psychology/psychotherapy, medicine, language training, manufacturing/information management, weather control, sustainability through direct interface with nature. It would be too far for most people. Or what, do you really want to see Cyclops serving drinks, Jean Grey as a waitress? Oh no, Storm's heat is going to be turned off if she doesn't pay her electric bill this month! Please.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 01-08-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Oh no, Storm's heat is going to be turned off if she doesn't pay her electric bill this month! Please.
    no i'd really like to see that actually. that's a heck of a lot more an interesting conflict than whatever the shadow king is doing this week

Was an accountant. Someone can correct me if wrong, but I dont think he's gone back to that in his solo.

Most X-men dont have jobs outside of the school. I cant imagine most employers putting up with the unexpected time off that comes with being an active mutant hero

X-Men have always been independently wealthy. It's probably better that way(to maintain status quo marginally analogous to our real world in the Marvel Universe. If mutants really tried applying their powers economically, they'd destroy this fiat currency backed nonsense in no time. Free energy, revolutions in transportation, psychology/psychotherapy, medicine, language training, manufacturing/information management, weather control, sustainability through direct interface with nature. It would be too far for most people. Or what, do you really want to see Cyclops serving drinks, Jean Grey as a waitress? Oh no, Storm's heat is going to be turned off if she doesn't pay her electric bill this month! Please.
    Id like that. It'd make them more relateable. I liked back in the mid 90s post OZT when Xavier's money got tied up and the team had to seriously think about how they would have to pay their bills. Unfortunately editorial got involved and Seagle/Kelly's plans had to shift but I was interesting in seeing how they'd handle a broke team. The roadtrip/SF X-Force werent rich and I enjoyed their struggles
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-08-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    no i'd really like to see that actually. that's a heck of a lot more an interesting conflict than whatever the shadow king is doing this week
    How would that be a conflict at all? Storm is immune to temperature variations and is her own power company.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Was an accountant. Someone can correct me if wrong, but I dont think he's gone back to that in his solo.

Most X-men dont have jobs outside of the school. I cant imagine most employers putting up with the unexpected time off that comes with being an active mutant hero

Id like that. It'd make them more relateable. I liked back in the mid 90s post OZT when Xavier's money got tied up and the team had to seriously think about how they would have to pay their bills. Unfortunately editorial got involved and Seagle/Kelly's plans had to shift but I was interesting in seeing how they'd handle a broke team. The roadtrip/SF X-Force werent rich and I enjoyed their struggles
    It'd demeaning to them as characters and to real people who struggle with their bills. Sunspot got his money back at the end of that Road Trip era(and in the meantime they took odd jobs for a mafia backed film maker and that weird oddball favors guy). Same with the X-Men. They have access to Shi'Ar replicators. There are mutants who can generate near infinite amounts of energy, there are actual mutants who can transmute and/or multiply raw elements. There are plenty of slice of life moments in the X-verse(at least in their best form), but if you really want comics about lovable losers, there are a plethora of indie comics in that vein. The X-Men are elite superheroes, get over it.

BANNED

Jean is a waitress. She works HARD for the money, so hard for it honey.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Jean is a waitress. She works HARD for the money, so hard for it honey.
    All just an illusion. She's a deathless cosmic goddess of psionic flame made flesh.

It'd demeaning to them as characters and to real people who struggle with their bills. Sunspot got his money back at the end of that Road Trip era(and in the meantime they took odd jobs for a mafia backed film maker and that weird oddball favors guy). Same with the X-Men. They have access to Shi'Ar replicators. There are mutants who can generate near infinite amounts of energy, there are actual mutants who can transmute and/or multiply raw elements. There are plenty of slice of life moments in the X-verse(at least in their best form), but if you really want comics about lovable losers, there are a plethora of indie comics in that vein. The X-Men are elite superheroes, get over it.
    They didnt post OZT which was the point. Bastion had stripped them of most of their tech and while they werent poor, they weren't rich. It would have made for some interesting storytelling. The X-men as a whole is too big too make this work but isolated teams like we saw with ANX v2 or the upcoming X-men Red are ways where they could make finances part of the everyday struggle

BANNED

All just an illusion. She's a deathless cosmic goddess of psionic flame made flesh.
    Or maybe she's a waitress for the Phoenix?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They didnt post OZT which was the point. Bastion had stripped them of most of their tech and while they werent poor, they weren't rich. It would have made for some interesting storytelling. The X-men as a whole is too big too make this work but isolated teams like we saw with ANX v2 or the upcoming X-men Red are ways where they could make finances part of the everyday struggle
    Look, Spider-Man played the woe is me, I don't have enough money for Aunt May's med's thing back in the 60's. But is he still doing that now? X-Men have their own themes to explore, and having all the money in the world isn't enough to stop prejudice sometimes(as Roberto found out in his very origins). It's not like X-Men comics have never explored various socio-economic realities before, but what are they really going to do? Charge all the kids exorbitant tuition and saddle them with debt each semester? Not get healed up after their battle with the Sentinels because they don't have insurance? That would be crass.