Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Missed Oppurtunities in X-Men Gold

Alright, we all have problems with X-Men Gold Volume 2. So, what missed oppurtunities do you think the series has?

For me, there’s quite a few, such as:
    1. No type of friendship or mentor/mentee relationship between OMLogan and Rachel. I mean, they’re both survivors from apocalyptic futures and unwillingly killed other mutants and have complex internal struggles. It could be quite interesting to see them help each other with their trauma, but Guggenheim has seemingly overlooked this.

2. Colossus didn’t go with Kurt and Kitty on that Excalibur reunion. Wtf?

3. Old Man Logan and Storm vs X-Cutioner. I mean, they were the ones investigating it... And it’d be a much more even fight than Kitty, Colossus, and Rachel vs the guy. Why didn’t they take him down?

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Missed Opportunity: The whole series....

Storm: Not being a Stormbot that powers down after one "My friend" and electrostatic discharge. In fact, Storm has been poorly written since Extraordinary and earlier. I just don't understand how the Marvel Office gets away with such character assassination.

Rachel: She's one of Kitty's best friends on the team but you wouldn't know that by their interactions. She and OML are survivors of dystopian futures, you would think they would have a stronger connection. Also she goes from being competent to passed out every issue. I know that she has been written from one extreme to the other since she came back to the X-Office in 2005, but really? No one knows what her hound marks look like? She's NEVER scanned the minds of an entire city (or planet) before? I could go on for days, but she and Storm suffer from the poor writing for powerful women.

Colossus: So much has happened to Piotr in the past few years. So much to draw from. Yet he's turned into a lovesick puppy who is just some dumb strongman to prop up Kitty. Like his time as a Horseman, a Phoenix host, on X-Force, should be influencing him in subtle ways. Yet here he is. I was hoping to finally see some great characterization for him and poof it's gone.

OML: He solves every problem for Kitty if she doesn't. He should be closer to Rachel given their dystopian futures. I don't think he's the worst written in the series but he's meh and essentially overstayed his welcome for me (outside of his own book).

Kurt: I literally forgot about him at first. But then I remembered someone was impaled or immortal and it was him. The only thing interesting about him is that he is now dating Rachel....thank god he is also in Red to get some needed characterization.

Kitty: God has she become insufferable. Like everything is about her. And not even i this book. She has been given full reins of the X-Men. I don't get it. Literally don't get it. Or her outfit.

The Villains: Lackluster and hardly a threat given the powerset of this team. But yet people are being taken out left right and center every issue. I can't imagine Mojo written solely by Guggs.

The Guest Stars: Also watered down unless you are Ink. Magik? Magma? Armor? Pale shades of their former selves.

I think as a whole this series has people interested in it because of the iconic feel of the cast and characters they like, but the writing is just bad. So much opportunity for nostalgia in the right way, the family vibe from the long standing interpersonal relationships, and we're left with what feels like someone who read a clickbait article on the characters and decided to make a 30+ run out of it.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geek Mangacomic View Post

2. Colossus didn’t go with Kurt and Kitty on that Excalibur reunion. Wtf?

3. Old Man Logan and Storm vs X-Cutioner. I mean, they were the ones investigating it... And it’d be a much more even fight than Kitty, Colossus, and Rachel vs the guy. Why didn’t they take him down?
    2) Well I don't think he missed much. They were intentional on making it the original team, but that story was so bad I'm glad he stayed home.
    3) Weak. that's all I can say about that whole run.

Yeah, it was Psylocke not going with them that drew a WTF from me. Since she's Captain Britain's sister.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, it was Psylocke not going with them that drew a WTF from me. Since she's Captain Britain's sister.
    Omg, I almost overlooked that.
    Yeah, that annual was dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Missed Opportunity: The whole series....

Storm: Not being a Stormbot that powers down after one "My friend" and electrostatic discharge. In fact, Storm has been poorly written since Extraordinary and earlier. I just don't understand how the Marvel Office gets away with such character assassination.

Rachel: She's one of Kitty's best friends on the team but you wouldn't know that by their interactions. She and OML are survivors of dystopian futures, you would think they would have a stronger connection. Also she goes from being competent to passed out every issue. I know that she has been written from one extreme to the other since she came back to the X-Office in 2005, but really? No one knows what her hound marks look like? She's NEVER scanned the minds of an entire city (or planet) before? I could go on for days, but she and Storm suffer from the poor writing for powerful women.

Colossus: So much has happened to Piotr in the past few years. So much to draw from. Yet he's turned into a lovesick puppy who is just some dumb strongman to prop up Kitty. Like his time as a Horseman, a Phoenix host, on X-Force, should be influencing him in subtle ways. Yet here he is. I was hoping to finally see some great characterization for him and poof it's gone.

OML: He solves every problem for Kitty if she doesn't. He should be closer to Rachel given their dystopian futures. I don't think he's the worst written in the series but he's meh and essentially overstayed his welcome for me (outside of his own book).

Kurt: I literally forgot about him at first. But then I remembered someone was impaled or immortal and it was him. The only thing interesting about him is that he is now dating Rachel....thank god he is also in Red to get some needed characterization.

Kitty: God has she become insufferable. Like everything is about her. And not even i this book. She has been given full reins of the X-Men. I don't get it. Literally don't get it. Or her outfit.

The Villains: Lackluster and hardly a threat given the powerset of this team. But yet people are being taken out left right and center every issue. I can't imagine Mojo written solely by Guggs.

The Guest Stars: Also watered down unless you are Ink. Magik? Magma? Armor? Pale shades of their former selves.

I think as a whole this series has people interested in it because of the iconic feel of the cast and characters they like, but the writing is just bad. So much opportunity for nostalgia in the right way, the family vibe from the long standing interpersonal relationships, and we're left with what feels like someone who read a clickbait article on the characters and decided to make a 30+ run out of it.
    Agree with the above.

"Kitty and the X-Men" is an appropriate title, because no one else gets development, save Colossus, and that's centered around following Kitty.

It's a sad state for some great characters.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The first and biggest missed opportunity was not giving the book to an actual good writer.

The cast: Casting a book for nostalgia bores me. I've already read about almost this exact team (and by much better writers) I don't really care to again.

Let Kitty and Rachel be queer, FFS!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geek Mangacomic View Post
    1. No type of friendship or mentor/mentee relationship between OMLogan and Rachel. I mean, they’re both survivors from apocalyptic futures and unwillingly killed other mutants and have complex internal struggles. It could be quite interesting to see them help each other with their trauma, but Guggenheim has seemingly overlooked this.
    I don't think Rachel should be especially close to any version of Logan on account of that time he tried to kill her.

This thread can start and end with "hiring a good writer."

BANNED

Storm: Instead of a really good analysis of her IvX guilt, as well as becoming a proper mentor figure to Kitty (taken up by OML who has never interacted with Kitty before), she just languishes in the background and does nothing.

Kitty: Aside from being written like an obnoxious Felicity Smoak/Cyclops hybrid, her arc in this book should be about taking responsibility and learning how to be a good leader. Instead she just IS a good leader (better than Cyclops and Storm according to Guggenheim). Also perfect opportunity to explore her queerness after another failed relationship. Instead she gets back with a childhood crush (emphasis on CHILDhood) and decides to marry him after he showed his desperate need for self-sacrifice (fun fact: she broke up with him the last time because of this exact personality trait)

Old Man Logan: Is just Logan, but in the most cheesy way possible. Never should've been on the team to begin with

Colossus: My dude got tons of development under Gillen/Hopeless/Yost, but is now a terrifying Nice Guy who gets the girl as long as he keeps begging for it. Also back to self-sacrificing. Domino wept.

Rachel: Really should've been gay by now.

Nightcrawler: Can't speak of a missed opportunity per se, but we've now gone through 17 years of subsequent writers trying to make Kurt dark. This time he becomes the Piccolo of the team, who gets maimed nonstop because he can't die anyway

Also I will say there were very few opportunities for this cast to begin with, because they've mostly explored these characters together in every way possible.

Hasn’t there been a division between the two since she killed Jamie back in Uncanny X-Force?

I just assumed that Psylocke was probably there for the birth or shortly thereafter, since it's her family. I didn't see a need for her to go with the Excalibur crew.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I don't think Rachel should be especially close to any version of Logan on account of that time he tried to kill her.
    Racheal is over that. I mean come on
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Instead she gets back with a childhood crush (emphasis on CHILDhood) and decides to marry him after he showed his desperate need for self-sacrifice (fun fact: she broke up with him the last time because of this exact personality trait).
    Well, you know the old saying - the heart wants what Guggenheim says the heart wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Storm's very existence is a missed opportunity. She could be Kitty's mentor, meaning, Kitty could be asking Storm for advice, or Kitty could make a mistake in leadership and Storm would be there to correct it without stepping on Kitty's toes.

Another missed opportunity was that this could have been a title with a rotating cast with Kitty, Ororo, Peter, and Rachel, with Kurt making fewer appearances and OML not showing up at all. With a core team of 4 or 5, that could make room for notable appearances from Magik, Magma, Dani, Bobby, Husk, Jono or anyone else who happens to be at this school, especially when this is the only title that is happening there other than Gen-X (which should be mostly about the non-combat ready students). Guggenheim did start using other characters like Armor and Ink, but it could have been better unitized.