Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I'm being an ass. Just saying that There's like two Psylockes one with the Braddock Name only, the other with actual family interactions.
    lolol oh ok.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

What a huge missed opportunity
    I mean, I didn't expect much from Guggenheim, but this was pretty terrible. Meggan and Brian have a kid and they only tell the X-men 3 months later? Not when she's pregnant? And no mention of Betsy at all?
    It's cute they sent the stork, but this kind of news would warrant a call, right?
    Everything felt so half-cooked. The writers wanted to sell the family vibe, but treated the birth so casually that the character interaction didn't ring true at all.
    This book made me once again question what the X-editors are supposed to be doing. They're obviously not worried about quality control or continuity consistency. Mistaking Rachel for Jean is all kinds of ironic since the whole point of the "Prestige" mess was to give Rachel her own "unique" identity.
    Heck, even the art was bad. It looked like one of those bad fill-ins from the Lobdell run, not a proper homage to 30 years of Excalibur

BANNED

I just read "totes amazeballs" in an X-Men comic.

I'm so sad right now.

Sincerely the story with Storm got better than the main one with Excalibur .

Not that this serves as an excuse for the treatment given to her in the last issues or maybe it is better to say since EXM but it is good from time to time to see heroes receiving the results by inspiring people after all is why they fight .

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

What I learned from this one shot: The Original Excalibur should not get a relaunch.

They are out of date.

If they relaunch the title ever again, they should take the MI13 approach with Pete Wisdom again, including Cap B and other ex members of that era like Dazzler and Sage and replace Juggernaut and Nocturne by Warren and Betsy
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I just read "totes amazeballs" in an X-Men comic.

I'm so sad right now.
    I just threw up in my mouth a little. Who’s the offending party?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    They couldn’t have just written it with Jean and waited a month or two to publish?
    They should've waited, as it's set after next month's issue 22, which is when Rachel gets her new costume. I'm pretty sure Phoenix Resurrection (which also uses Rachel's new costume) was meant to be monthly or at least only twice a month, and they're launching Red early, as both Gold and Blue won't be set after it until at least March.
    How the hell do you forget an entire writer? Doesn’t he literally have to attend all the plot meetings?
    Yeah, why weren't the backup creators credited on the cover? I didn't even know there was a backup (read it digitally) until it said so on the letters page.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-11-2018 at 06:03 AM.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Who’s the offending party?
    A young girl who's a big fan of Storm. It was in the extra Storm story.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    What a huge missed opportunity
    I mean, I didn't expect much from Guggenheim, but this was pretty terrible. Meggan and Brian have a kid and they only tell the X-men 3 months later? Not when she's pregnant? And no mention of Betsy at all?
    It's cute they sent the stork, but this kind of news would warrant a call, right?
    Everything felt so half-cooked. The writers wanted to sell the family vibe, but treated the birth so casually that the character interaction didn't ring true at all.
    This book made me once again question what the X-editors are supposed to be doing. They're obviously not worried about quality control or continuity consistency. Mistaking Rachel for Jean is all kinds of ironic since the whole point of the "Prestige" mess was to give Rachel her own "unique" identity.
    Heck, even the art was bad. It looked like one of those bad fill-ins from the Lobdell run, not a proper homage to 30 years of Excalibur

I agree with most of this. I did actually really like the new Braddock baby. We have a new rival to the Franklyn and Valeria Richards' of this world.

But 'Maggie'? REALLY??

Do the writers not know why kids don't get called Maggie in the UK? The idea that a working class woman from a traveler family would name her kid after PM Maggie Thatcher - the 80s destroyer of industry and communities - is just ridiculous.

I also hate how we've gone back to Meggan being insipid and weak again. Yes, that was how badly she was mischaracterised in early Excalibur, but it's not how Meggan was ever intended.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    I also hate how we've gone back to Meggan being insipid and weak again. Yes, that was how badly she was mischaracterised in early Excalibur, but it's not how Meggan was ever intended.
    That was hard to see. I was just reading some late era Excalibur recently and Meggan really developed a lot. To see her so insipid, as you say, was not cool.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    That was hard to see. I was just reading some late era Excalibur recently and Meggan really developed a lot. To see her so insipid, as you say, was not cool.

The character in the Moore/Davis and Delano/Davis stories had spark. Determination.

I've never understood how/why Claremont opted for such an odd and total change in personality for her. But yes, by the end of Excalibur she was showing more self-belief. And on CB&MI13 - as Gloriana - she was shown to be damned clever.

This seems so regressive in comparison.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    This was better than Gold, but still worthless, empty nostalgia.
    Yeeeeeeep.

The character in the Moore/Davis and Delano/Davis stories had spark. Determination.

I've never understood how/why Claremont opted for such an odd and total change in personality for her. But yes, by the end of Excalibur she was showing more self-belief. And on CB&MI13 - as Gloriana - she was shown to be damned clever.

This seems so regressive in comparison.
    It seems to me that the story Claremont was telling with her, beginning to end, was a woman learning how to choose to define herself, rather than acceptance of being defined by others. That's just what I got from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    It seems to me that the story Claremont was telling with her, beginning to end, was a woman learning how to choose to define herself, rather than acceptance of being defined by others. That's just what I got from it.

Maybe. Something which certainly was never resolved under his penmanship, unfortunately. Probably the clearest development for Meggan on his Excalibur was the story in new York, just after Inferno, in which she moved among civilians changing her appearance.

Annoyingly it was a guest penciller. That issue deserved better.

But in general it was a jarring regression. On Captain Britain Meggan had developed a strong sense of self. Chosen her appearance - for her. Not for Brian. Originally with hair which in part comprised of fire.

Pre-Excalibur Meggan is this argumentative street-kid, who takes no **** and does things on her own terms.

The Excalibur starts and she's suddenly this timid, insipid creature, who only seems to exist to pine of Brian and occasionally get confused over Kurt. It's like reading a totally different (and inferior) character.

A few years back I think Si Spurrier captured more of Meggan's personality on his X-Men Legacy: Legion in a single panel than most of early Excalibur.

I love the series as a whole, but Meggan was handled very badly on that book.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Maybe. Something which certainly was never resolved under his penmanship, unfortunately. Probably the clearest development for Meggan on his Excalibur was the story in new York, just after Inferno, in which she moved among civilians changing her appearance.

Annoyingly it was a guest penciller. That issue deserved better.

But in general it was a jarring regression. On Captain Britain Meggan had developed a strong sense of self. Chosen her appearance - for her. Not for Brian. Originally with hair which in part comprised of fire.

Pre-Excalibur Meggan is this argumentative street-kid, who takes no **** and does things on her own terms.

The Excalibur starts and she's suddenly this timid, insipid creature, who only seems to exist to pine of Brian and occasionally get confused over Kurt. It's like reading a totally different (and inferior) character.

A few years back I think Si Spurrier captured more of Meggan's personality on his X-Men Legacy: Legion in a single panel than most of early Excalibur.

I love the series as a whole, but Meggan was handled very badly on that book.
    Yeah, I've read that before. I think I had the advantage, because I was unfamiliar with she and Brian both, when Excalibur started. I was introduced to them with the couple having suffered a major trauma -- the death of Brian's sister -- him falling into drink to drown his pain and her reacting to that with insecurity and clinging. Over the series, it seemed to me that she learned to be okay in her own skin and learned her value, apart from being a couple. At the end, she chose to marry him because she wanted to, not because she needed to.
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 01-11-2018 at 09:10 AM.