Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    I think Slott is a good writer. Even though I think he should’ve been pulled from Amazing Spider-man when he cost that title tens of thousands in sales monthly with his Superior horseshit.
    Hi. I shouldn't have poked my nose in here. :-D

(I promised myself I wouldn't. :-P For the most part, I didn't go on to Marvel/Cosmic/Surfer boards for the entirety of the SILVER SURFER run, and I think the book turned out the better for it.)

But I just wanted to dispel this myth pretty quickly.

Sales went UP for SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, not down. It got (on average) about a 30,000 boost-- and then settled down to around 20,000 higher than what the book had been selling previously in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. It performed this way while regularly selling out and going back to press for second printings. And the book held on to those extra readers for the entirety of the run. Then, when Peter Parker came back at the end of SSM, that issue and the new volume of ASM gained tens of thousands of more readers on top of that. If you think SSM cost Marvel sales, you'd be mistaken. It actually boosted sales by a sizeable amount.

Incredible Member

Seriously, if you see me on these boards again, sticking my nose into things, give me a quick smack on the wrists.
    If 10 years of Spidey have taught me anything, it's that these message boards are for fans and not creators. You guys should feel free to spout off here about whatever-- without having to deal with someone like me popping in.

Sorry about that. Please go back to the regularly scheduled broadcast. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Seriously, if you see me on these boards again, sticking my nose into things, give me a quick smack on the wrists.
    If 10 years of Spidey have taught me anything, it's that these message boards are for fans and not creators. You guys should feel free to spout off here about whatever-- without having to deal with someone like me popping in.

Sorry about that. Please go back to the regularly scheduled broadcast. ;-)
    I hate that you feel that way but I surely understand your sentiment. It's very unpleasant on these boards at times. I've learned lately not to be a part of the problem.

I did a Ask Kurt Busiek thread and all of the participants were very polite and cordial. Would you mind if I did something similar with Ask Dan Slott? I would be sure to report any derogatory or malicious posts.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 01-21-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, other than Fraction, no one has anything good with Tony's villains over the past few years. Loved Zeke and the Hammer Girls. Maybe Dan can borrow Norman Osborn from time to time.

And yes, there should be some kind of acknowledgement of Rhodey once Slot takes over.
    I don't think he could write a good enough Osborn to give Tony a run for his money (unless he brought Tony down a peg too).

He'd be more likely to use Doc Ock.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think he could write a good enough Osborn to give Tony a run for his money (unless he brought Tony down a peg too).

He'd be more likely to use Doc Ock.
    It's not so much Norman himself but Norman the business tycoon. Similar to Justin Hammer or Roxxon.

Maybe use Sunset Bains.

I think your coming here is good if it's to point out something purely factual. I think it's pointless whenever the subject is purely feelings, which are subjective and just go round and round pointlessly. Even the most elaborate argument on that subject amounts to "please love me". But when it's 2+2 equaling 4, and someone insists they see 3 or 5, feel free to pop in and point out the facts. Sales are facts. They can not be sophistried into being more or less than they are.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 01-21-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Incredible Member

I would love it if Dan Slott was the writer on a new FF book. His Thing series from a few years ago was fantastic, and cancelled way too soon. I'll be giving his Iron Man a shot though. Just glad Bendis is gone.

I'm a little scared to get to happy. When Tony and Spidey teamed up to take on Regent, I thought it was pretty good and I enjoyed Slott's Tony.Hopefully this will continue.

Hi. I shouldn't have poked my nose in here. :-D

(I promised myself I wouldn't. :-P For the most part, I didn't go on to Marvel/Cosmic/Surfer boards for the entirety of the SILVER SURFER run, and I think the book turned out the better for it.)

But I just wanted to dispel this myth pretty quickly.

Sales went UP for SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, not down. It got (on average) about a 30,000 boost-- and then settled down to around 20,000 higher than what the book had been selling previously in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. It performed this way while regularly selling out and going back to press for second printings. And the book held on to those extra readers for the entirety of the run. Then, when Peter Parker came back at the end of SSM, that issue and the new volume of ASM gained tens of thousands of more readers on top of that. If you think SSM cost Marvel sales, you'd be mistaken. It actually boosted sales by a sizeable amount.
    Please come back when you can.It's great to hear things straight from the source and not there opinion. I would love to have you drop in hear and have talks abut Tony.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 01-21-2018 at 11:26 PM.

I'm hoping Dan Slott will write stories because he wants to tell good stories rather than hit any benchmarks as it is presented in the article from OP. To write stories to hit benchmarks as Dan claims he have done since 2014 I find problematic. It indicates Dan has been writing Spider-man for 3-4 years because he wanted to hit benchmarks not because he wanted to tell good stories. It indicates Dan would write stories so he could say I was a Spider-man writer for ten years and I wrote issue 800 but not because for what those stories was actually about or what they told. That is not an ideal foundation for making good stories. Stories should be told because it has a heart is living and makes a relevant story (it can be relevant in many forms either spiritually, personally, or politically). A story made just to sell rarely tells are moving story and has little relevance (at least for me). Hopefully Dan has other motivations to write stories than to write 50 or 100 Iron Man stories or being on the book for 5 years. I will rather have a good book for 2 years than a mediocre book for 5 - quality over quantity every single day!

When was the last time we've had a new Crimson Dynamo? He/She could be a good enemy or ally to bring in for a new run.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    When was the last time we've had a new Crimson Dynamo? He/She could be a good enemy or ally to bring in for a new run.
    As far as I could see, a Crimson Dynamo hasn't been seen since 2010.

I'm just glad he's finally off Spider-Man; It's been mediocre, at best, ever since he took over. However, even his average Spider-Man book was marginally better than what we've been getting for Iron Man in the past couple years.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Who's getting Amazing though? Chip's been improving but I don't think he can handle two books yet.

Mighty Member

Sales went UP for SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, not down. It got (on average) about a 30,000 boost-- and then settled down to around 20,000 higher than what the book had been selling previously in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN.
    I meant to point that out.

It indicates Dan has been writing Spider-man for 3-4 years because he wanted to hit benchmarks not because he wanted to tell good stories. It indicates Dan would write stories so he could say I was a Spider-man writer for ten years and I wrote issue 800 but not because for what those stories was actually about or what they told. That is not an ideal foundation for making good stories. Stories should be told because it has a heart is living and makes a relevant story (it can be relevant in many forms either spiritually, personally, or politically).
    The person who is looking to hit marks is going to have the mindset that quality is necessary. If they are trying to set records, they are going to want to look good doing it.

As far as I could see, a Crimson Dynamo hasn't been seen since 2010.
    Dynamo should have disappeared in 1990. (Cold War is long over.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/