Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Pretty well is right. The team was 4 out of 7 POC (5 if you assume Penny was some iteration of St. Croix). And it went on for 75 issues - that’s pretty solid.
    And there was also Mondo in the early issues

BANNED

I think the o5 going back to their timeline, which will happen soon, opens the door for more diverse characters. Gentle is getting a spot on Jean's team, along with a new character from India.

Skin and Synch need to be resurrected and I don't care how they do it.

The o5 never worked as a team. Twice canceled, the X-Men did not take off until the All New, All Different Team of Storm, Cyclops, Phoenix, Colossus, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Banshee.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    In order to attract good multi ethnic talent you need money, if the x office is broke and the environment not supportive, then what's the point?
    The X-office is part of a huge, wealthy corporation and yes they can hire multiethnic talent when they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    And there was also Mondo in the early issues
    I always forget Mondo. Bad fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I think the o5 going back to their timeline, which will happen soon, opens the door for more diverse characters. Gentle is getting a spot on Jean's team, along with a new character from India.

Skin and Synch need to be resurrected and I don't care how they do it.

The o5 never worked as a team. Twice canceled, the X-Men did not take off until the All New, All Different Team of Storm, Cyclops, Phoenix, Colossus, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Banshee.
    Actually the O5 were selling OK to great before they got cancelled but marvel didn't got the memo. Also they sold great in X factor despite the mess it was and in both ANXM and X-Men Blue their sales easily rival the flagships. Like it or not the O5 are a force on their own and Bunn isn't even trying

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Actually the O5 were selling OK to great before they got cancelled but marvel didn't got the memo. Also they sold great in X factor despite the mess it was and in both ANXM and X-Men Blue their sales easily rival the flagships. Like it or not the O5 are a force on their own and Bunn isn't even trying
    No they aren't. No they didn't. Marvel didn't get the memo because they were in reprints because they failed and are just as boring as they were then.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    No they aren't. No they didn't. Marvel didn't get the memo because they were in reprints because they failed and are just as boring as they were then.
    thats fine that you believe that but there is a reason Marvel keeps going back to them. I echo wano's sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    True. Particularly when Synch and Skin were still alive and Monet was drawn appropriately dark, Gen X was doing pretty well (Monet, like Sunspot, kept getting mysteriously lighter under different artists, which somewhat annoyed me). The New X-Men had Dust, Surge and Prodigy, on the 'main team' and lots of background characters like Gentle, Indra, Loa and Bling! to round things out.
    Posting this from the 'Gen X #85' review thread we had a while back where I talked about how diverse the New X-Men team was. Though, I was talking about the composite of the KYost + Weir/DeFilippis teams.

More black ppl & POC:
    -Prodigy
    -Gentle
    -Tag
    -Wind Dancer (kinda)
    -Surge
    -Dust
    -Armor
    -Rockslide (assumed brown Latino)

Better women-to-men ratio:
    -Surge
    -Wind Dancer
    -Wolverine
    -Mercury
    -Armor
    -Dust
    -Pixie
    -Wallflower

Same LGBT+ Representation:
    -Anole
    -Mercury
    -Prodigy
    (not sure if Pixie counts)
    (I'm also gonna include Tag because we all knew he had a crush on Julian)

And Hellion has a physical disability.
    Armor and Gentle were officially part of the team, but I don't know if I can count Loa or Indra even though they were essentially the "B team".

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Posting this from the 'Gen X #85' review thread we had a while back where I talked about how diverse the New X-Men team was. Though, I was talking about the composite of the KYost + Weir/DeFilippis teams.

Armor and Gentle were officially part of the team, but I don't know if I can count Loa or Indra even though they were essentially the "B team".
    No, Loa and Indra wouldnt count. They were supporting characters but not main roster.

I also wouldnt count any of those characters as LGBT diversity. That was all stuff revealed after the series and wasnt a part of their narrative in New X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Pretty well is right. The team was 4 out of 7 POC (5 if you assume Penny was some iteration of St. Croix). And it went on for 75 issues - that’s pretty solid.
    Gen X was great!!!

Emma's Hellions, behind the preppy Massachusetts Academy, was good with diversity too:

Warpath's brother
    Empath
    Jetstream

Then her nuHellions had Dust, Rockslide, and Tag.

I did really enjoy the New X-Men series with the students.
    Last edited by ButterRum; 01-27-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Astonishing Member

Wasn't Jetstream an Arab Cyborg?
    I think the male Hellions were more interesting than Cannonball and Sunspot.

Astonishing Member

Also, it's canon that Emma tried to recruit Terry Bedlam but he rejected joining the Hellions.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Wasn't Jetstream an Arab Cyborg?
    I think the male Hellions were more interesting than Cannonball and Sunspot.
    According to Wikipedia:

"However, Jetstream's body was unable to withstand the tremendous energies he generated—one day his flesh even caught fire as he flew. To save him and enable him to use his power, the Hellfire Club provided Jetstream with a Frost Industries bionic system."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetstream_(comics)

Does anyone remember which issue that was? Lol... sounds very Darth Vader-like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    thats fine that you believe that but there is a reason Marvel keeps going back to them. I echo wano's sentiments
    They keep going to them for the same boring reasons that they can't let them go. For whatever reason those boring teens take up oxygen when most people want them gone. Just because a small group of fans find them interesting and their adventures entertaining doesn't mean they are.

BANNED

Other MIA mutants of color include Frenzy and Maggot. Granted I was no fan of him but he still counts. Also Gateway is also dead/MIA.