Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Bunny has written more comics than Hickman, soooo......

And he’s better.

About Priest. Can anyone share with me some amazing BP moment? I mean all we hear how great it is.

Did T’Challa at least armbar someone? Or did he KO some sunna of bitch that deserved it?
    Why not read Priest's Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

And he’s better.

About Priest. Can anyone share with me some amazing BP moment? I mean all we hear how great it is.

Did T’Challa at least armbar someone? Or did he KO some sunna of bitch that deserved it?
    BP knocked the taste out the Devil's mouth, and even ripped his heart out....literally.

And he’s better.

There are alot. Knocked out Mephisto, knocked Namor in the and sent him back about 20 feet, beat iron man's most advanced suit at the time with Windex, beat a raging blood lusted IF, had it been a death match he would of killed him several times, almost killed kraven had Cap not been there. There is much more for Priest Run, and just alot of cool feats for BP in general but it's better to read for yourself and experience how masterfully it's done

Extraordinary Member

Oh...he beat Klaw like a dog in the street...like he stole something.

Well...Klaw did steal his father from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know when you're reffering to Guggenheim, but is the other writer Bunn ?
    Precisely. I am being a little facetious I know. I have been reading Bunn for years so he isn't 'inexperienced' as such, but he still feels relatively neophyte in his style to me. Good, but not fully mature as a writer. He has probably been writing comics longer than Hickman, but Hickman is on the cutting edge of comics.

And he’s better.
    Well all things are subjective here, but no, I think it can be demonstrated that in sophistication, style and depth, Hickman is way better. But hey, some people prefer vanilla. I imagine Bunn would agree. He isn't trying to be Hickman, he is a much more straight down the middle, mainstream writer.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-31-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    BP knocked the taste out the Devil's mouth, and even ripped his heart out....literally.
    And the nice thing is that he didn't just give T'Challa high end feats like that... he did them believably.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    There are alot. Knocked out Mephisto, knocked Namor in the and sent him back about 20 feet, beat iron man's most advanced suit at the time with Windex, beat a raging blood lusted IF, had it been a death match he would of killed him several times, almost killed kraven had Cap not been there. There is much more for Priest Run, and just alot of cool feats for BP in general but it's better to read for yourself and experience how masterfully it's done
    Didn't he use Windex and some other every day thing to beat Iron Man?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Huge key difference, though: Bendis doesn't force Jewish issues into every story even when there are no Jewish main characters. Priest put himself into that box by soap-boxing about black issues no matter who he was writing. They gave him Deathstroke, just about the whitest character in comics, and he still soap-boxed about black issues. So Priest complaining about being put in a box is the equivalent of Frank Miller complaining that they keep offering him only comics centering about hardboiled street-toughs and prostitutes.
    There is a difference between still wanted comics to be diverse and reflect society and to known for the writer who writes black characters. Priest didn't say he didn't want to deal with social issue related to race. He say he didn't want to be know as the black writer who write black Superheroes. The difference is pretty obviously and I hope you can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, Priest was inadvertently put in a box. It would be the equivalent of marvel only offering Bendis Jewish characters to write. I think anyone would be put off in that situation.
    It is absolutely understandable. This was also why he had such a long break from comics (the second time anyway first time seam to be because he had burned some bridges). He was only offered writing black characters. It would go against anything priest have been saying up until now and for better and worse Priest seems like a guy who is very idealistic and don't compromise them much. Based on interviews and what he has been writing on comics over the years. I don't know him or even met him but that is the impression I have.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 01-31-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Didn't he use Windex and some other every day thing to beat Iron Man?
    Just Windex, then he pulled out a power glove, then the Ultronic code and stopped Tony's heart

I would love Hickman on X-Men, but Cullen Bunn is hardly a “vanilla” writer.

That said, you need to stay the course for Hickman. The early parts of his Avengers run were pretty arid and uninvolving, until the design of his larger story began to be revealed. New Avengers was gold from the beginning, though.

BANNED

Hickman is not at DC.

And I’m sure Bendis went to DC because he wanted to tell stories with Batman and Superman.

Hickman’s Avengers was not to my liking, I found it boring and his character interactions were blah. I did like his FF which I thought was amazing, but I don’t think Hickman is a good fit to write the Xmen. Which requires full knowledge of the canon and the characters, and lots of time to craft story, which Hickman has too many other projects to devote his time to.

If to write the X-Men you need to know it’s his and characters than the last thirty years of stories wouldn’t have happened. Hickman and Priest are way to good for that franchise

Hickmans new Avengers was great, his Avengers run (eventually NA and SW) got saddled with too much convuluted and needless plot threads, Characters and plot got too much focus just to be dropped off without going anywhere. Wasting panel space and issues. Then he started inflating his cast and using only like 3-4 of the cast members. If editorial can keep him focused he can do some good stories with good pay off

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Knowing that Priest is one of the best comic book writers out there that truly doesn't want the stigma of being a "black writer", what would you want him to write?
    Dude, its Priest. He can write whatever the hell he wants and I'll probably be there.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I don't think anyone has suggested this yet but what about Priest on Miles Morales?

I know he doesn't want to be pigeon holed as a "black writer" but taking over Miles from Bendis is a big deal and I think Marvel's going to do whatever they can to get someone of Priest's stature on that book. Giving him another high profile book along with the Miles gig, like a secondary Avengers title, might part of it.

I'd also love to see Priest on Captain America. As much as I'd love to see Coates' take on Cap, if the rumors of him taking over don't pan out, I think Priest would be an inspired choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Hickmans new Avengers was great, his Avengers run (eventually NA and SW) got saddled with too much convuluted and needless plot threads, Characters and plot got too much focus just to be dropped off without going anywhere. Wasting panel space and issues. Then he started inflating his cast and using only like 3-4 of the cast members. If editorial can keep him focused he can do some good stories with good pay off
    Do you seriously think it wasn't editorial pressures that made Avengers a little messy? It is quite apparent that some of his plans on Avengers were being messed with or ruled against because he didn't have final say on the individual characters. New Avengers contained the characters that he had final say over.

In the long run New Avengers was the primary Hickman book anyway, because he had to jump over hurdle after hurdle in Avengers, starting way back in the shift of The Inhumans from Fraction's ideas to what they ended up becoming.