Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Priest is the BEST place to start, as his is the definitive run for the character. Priest is to Black Panther as Frank Miller is to Daredevil.

However, the EASIEST starting point might be Hudlins run. THe first arc is a pretty good jumping in point for a new reader.
    As a huge Daredevil fan that is a great comparison to make and pretty much sells me on picking up Priest's run as soon as I can find it, although my LCS only had the Coates volumes that have come out so far. So I will try to hunt that down on amazon or ebay.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    That is quite a list, thanks for such a complete breakdown. I will be certain to give some of those a look, certainly had no idea that Jack Kirby had done anything with Black Panther so that absolutely will be something that I pick up.
    He co- created the character...
    Thanks for the suggestions, certainly seems like Priest and Hudlin are the way to go. Probably will check out the 70's stuff too if I can find it. Happy to see that no one mentioned Coates run that is going right now, I know that it has gotten good critical review but I tried and issue or two and really disliked it so I am happy to hear that their are better runs out there (although in fairness me only giving a book an issue or two is probably not a fair way to judge a entire run)
    Coates run is God awful no need to read it

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Is David Lise Black Panther run worth picking up? It doesn't seams to get a lot of buzz.

Panthers Quest was released as a collection earlier this year so it is only Gilli's and Panther's prey which can be hard to find. Also Neither Priest nor Hudlin's runs are collected in omnibuses but in compelte collection. They are not hardcover nor oversized just regular sized released in big volumes of TPB. Just like Bendis's and Brubaker's Daredevil runs are.
    Liss run is okay. It takes BP from Wakanda and places him in Hell's Kitchen.

Amazing Member

Hickman did BP justice on his New Avengers run. I think he's the best BP writer after Priest.

Is David Lise Black Panther run worth picking up? It doesn't seams to get a lot of buzz.

Panthers Quest was released as a collection earlier this year so it is only Gilli's and Panther's prey which can be hard to find. Also Neither Priest nor Hudlin's runs are collected in omnibuses but in compelte collection. They are not hardcover nor oversized just regular sized released in big volumes of TPB. Just like Bendis's and Brubaker's Daredevil runs are.
    Just my personal opinion... but I thought Liss had the best written run since Priest.

A lot of people weren't happy about the character being removed from his usual setting, but I thought the story did a great job of showing how much of a bad @$$ he was without his powers or Wakandan tech and resources. And he got the "voice" of the character closer to Priests version than most of the writers since Priest.

It's a very underrated run, but definitely worth reading if you are a BP fan (or a Daredevil fan).

Definitely pick up David Liss' run. He gets a lot of props from BP fans. He took a premise that no one wanted and made everyone eat their words who doubted it. Myself included.

Lightbulb Get "Who is the Black Panther" by Reginald Hudlin.

If you are interested in Black Panther because of the movie I suggest getting Reginald Hudlin's series.

The initial series "Who is the Black Panther" is an excellent introduction to the character and his world.

The whole series makes me proud of BP and Wakanda and is a pleasure to read.

Excelsior!

Daoud

It should not be forgotten BP was a long time member of the Avengers. Black Panther was a member from Avengers #52 to #126.

Avengers Epic Collection 3: Master of Evil collects Avengers #41-56, Avengers Annual #1-2, X-Men #45 And material from Not Brand Echh #5, 8. Avengers Epic collection 4: Behold the vision collects #57-76 and the upcoming Avengers epic collection 7: Avengers Epic Collections /Defenders war collects Avengers #115-128, Giant-Size #1 Defenders #8-11 Captain Marvel #33, Fantastic Four #150.

The part where you get most BP would be in Behold the vision collection. Here there is a story focusing on BP against Sons of the Serpent the lest would be Master of Evil even though it has his debut most of the books focus is from before BP joins the team.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Just my personal opinion... but I thought Liss had the best written run since Priest.

A lot of people weren't happy about the character being removed from his usual setting, but I thought the story did a great job of showing how much of a bad @$$ he was without his powers or Wakandan tech and resources. And he got the "voice" of the character closer to Priests version than most of the writers since Priest.

It's a very underrated run, but definitely worth reading if you are a BP fan (or a Daredevil fan).
    I'm more of a Daredevil fan than a Black Panther fan. I'm reading Priest run at the moment however I'm not entire sold on his narrative, The narrator is Everett Ross an U.S. state employee who helps foreign diplomats when in the US. The story is told in pass setting the narrator is set somewhere in a near future. This I can live with it is okay. However what annoys me is Everett is often saying this or that is going to happing to me. For me it spoils some of the suspense - I know it is put their to build suspense in like "Oh how will that happen". However for me it just feels like a tease. If people don't like that kind of storytelling maybe worth starting somewhere else.

Thank you for the suggestion I will keep an eye on it sounds interesting. I'm a bit confused as to why people have a problem with BP being in New York. BP was in NY at several points of Priest's run.

That is quite a list, thanks for such a complete breakdown. I will be certain to give some of those a look, certainly had no idea that Jack Kirby had done anything with Black Panther so that absolutely will be something that I pick up.
    I haven't read it. But as far as I understand it is a not his greatest work. He just came back to Marvel after working at DC doing the Forth World saga. Kirby wanted to do something new and fresh (as he always wanted to do) and was a bit unhappy to do Black Panther as he had created the character and didn't want to write him again. As far as I understand you can tell it is Kirby it is weird and out there with tons of ideas and far from the stories by Don Mcgregor which dealt with politics and social issue. Politics and social issues never seem to be Jack Kirby's forte/point of interest (I'm no expert on Jack Kirby but what I have read and heard he doesn't strike me as such).

Thank you for the suggestion I will keep an eye on it sounds interesting. I'm a bit confused as to why people have a problem with BP being in New York. BP was in NY at several points of Priest's run.
    The issue wasn't him being in New York, it was the premise behind it. He went to Harlem to go prove himself worthy of being king, which didn't make any sense.

However, with that said, Liss pulls it off very well and manages to capture the true essence of BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    The issue wasn't him being in New York, it was the premise behind it. He went to Harlem to go prove himself worthy of being king, which didn't make any sense.

However, with that said, Liss pulls it off very well and manages to capture the true essence of BP.
    Ahh I see. Like i Said don't know much about the run. Again thanks for the suggestion.

Ahh I see. Like i Said don't know much about the run. Again thanks for the suggestion.
    It starts slow but it really picks up towards the end.

And you get some great art by Michael Avon Oeming and Jefte Palo.

And some good action scenes as well

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    He co- created the character...

Coates run is God awful no need to read it
    Wow kinda feel dumb for not knowing/remembering that, I am much more of a DC person and the Kirby stuff that I like the most is his Fourth World stuff with DC. I pretty much avoided marvel except the Fantastic Four for the first 10-15 years of being a comic fan but the last 10 years I have really dug deep into marvel comics and almost love it as much as DC now.

As far as the Coates stuff I have heard that from different people( although I have seen some people who vehemently defend it as well), his run was kinda surprising to me because it didn't feel like Black Panther was the same character I had seen him as previously. I had really only read mcduffie's ff run with him and storm on the team and the avengers stuff that hickman did and Black Panther was a standout in those to me. When the coates book launched I really wanted to give it a try but the first two issues really lost me and made me wonder if that was how black panther was in all of his solo books. (Which is mostly the reason that I started this thread)
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Wow kinda feel dumb for not knowing/remembering that, I am much more of a DC person and the Kirby stuff that I like the most is his Fourth World stuff with DC. I pretty much avoided marvel except the Fantastic Four for the first 10-15 years of being a comic fan but the last 10 years I have really dug deep into marvel comics and almost love it as much as DC now.

As far as the Coates stuff I have heard that from different people( although I have seen some people who vehemently defend it as well), his run was kinda surprising to me because it didn't feel like Black Panther was the same character I had seen him as previously. I had really only read mcduffie's ff run with him and storm on the team and the avengers stuff that hickman did and Black Panther was a standout in those to me. When the coates book launched I really wanted to give it a try but the first two issues really lost me and made me wonder if that was how black panther was in all of his solo books. (Which is mostly the reason that I started this thread)
    Thank goodness no.