Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I don't think Claremont is necessarily wrong, but I find it ironic considering he was the first to pair them up.
    He paired them up for a single, but ended his story having them not be together because they were from 2 different worlds. So it's not entirely shocking he has the view he has. If he felt they should be together, they probably would been.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I don't care if he was the first to pair 'em up, I disagree with him on why it wouldn't work. Storm could easily have a team of her choosing based out of Wakanda. Limbo/Hell, Australia, Weapon X facilities... the X-Men set up shop in the most random of places, it wouldn't even be out of the ordinary. T'Challa can do his thing in his title, Storm could do hers in hers. That way nobody plays 2nd fiddle to nobody.
    I think their best chance is if neither plays second fiddle. Put out a Black Panther & Storm book rather than making Storm a supporting member of BP's cast.

A major is with the BP & Storm pairing is that T'Challa would never fit in long term with the X-Men and Storm staying in Wakanda would take her away to long from the X-Men.

A X-Team in Wakanda doesn't really work either since placing a team about oppression and hardship in a relative Utopian society sorta defeats the purpose of the team all-together.

In the end it would take so me loops to jump through for it to make sense longterm that it wouldn't be worth it and the books would get dropped before it really got it's legs.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    A major is with the BP & Storm pairing is that T'Challa would never fit in long term with the X-Men and Storm staying in Wakanda would take her away to long from the X-Men.

A X-Team in Wakanda doesn't really work either since placing a team about oppression and hardship in a relative Utopian society sorta defeats the purpose of the team all-together.

In the end it would take so me loops to jump through for it to make sense longterm that it wouldn't be worth it and the books would get dropped before it really got it's legs.
    You know I never got this argument in the least bit. It's comics, and T'challa is one of the smartest people on the planet. He could literally invent a button than transports Storm between Wakanda and the X-mansion. Plus Reed was on the Illuminati who frequently met in Wakanda, and it was NEVER an issue from a story telling point of view. Wolverine was on several different teams and the X-men never complained, but the second storms out of an issue of an X-men book , they immediately want their wallpaper back.
    After reading Priest's run on Black Panther, I can truly said I've learned nothing, but I remember everything!
    I'm back from the Djailia!
    Since D9 exists in the MU, T'challa is definitely an Alpha! (Don't Debate me)

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbeezy561 View Post
    You know I never got this argument in the least bit. It's comics, and T'challa is one of the smartest people on the planet. He could literally invent a button than transports Storm between Wakanda and the X-mansion. Plus Reed was on the Illuminati who frequently met in Wakanda, and it was NEVER an issue from a story telling point of view. Wolverine was on several different teams and the X-men never complained, but the second storms out of an issue of an X-men book , they immediately want their wallpaper back.
    he actually has a mutant who instantly transported him to tchalla for a date night lol.. if wolverine can be all over the place storm and bp should be able to as well.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mbeezy561 View Post
    I get what your saying. However, when your Queen of a Nation most of your time should be spent in that nation. When she is literally in every issue of X-Men as a leader the suspension of belief gets stretched to thin that she could be effective at both responsibilities . The suspension of belief becomes almost non-existent.

It's a large reason why I think T'Challa himself doesn't stay on teams like the FF and Avengers for very long. There is only so much "time away" from a nation you could logically do when your the ruler of the nation.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-03-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

I like both characters but it never worked for me

It just didn't feel very natural as a narrative

I think likely because I felt it took storm too far away from the x mythos

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post

And therein lies the problem. Why Storm is not allowed to thrive outside the X-Men is beyond me.

Beast was an Avenger for years.

Bobby and Warren were on the Champions.

Warren was on New Defenders.

Rogue is an Avenger.

Roberto and Sam are Avengers.

Don't need to say anything about Logan

But Storm can't be away from the X-Men. This is totally ridiculous especially when they don't do anything with her.

So what are they saving her for? No one has announced any plans to do anything with her, no story arcs.

Except for the guy writing Black Panther.

If there are any Storm fans out there and they want her to have a successful solo, then they better hope she gets out of the stagnant rut she's in over in the X-verse and joins the greater Marvel U.

I get what your saying. However, when your Queen of a Nation most of your time should be spent in that nation. When she is literally in every issue of X-Men as a leader the suspension of belief gets stretched to thin that she could be effective at both responsibilities . The suspension of belief becomes almost non-existent.

It's a large reason why I think T'Challa himself doesn't stay on teams like the FF and Avengers for very long. There is only so much "time away" from a nation you could logically do when your the ruler of the nation.
    Nice thing about Storm these days is that she's neither a queen nor a team leader in the X-Men at the moment, so date night with her and T'Challa isn't much of a problem anymore.

....I guess I'm not being clear. The issue with Storm compared to all those other characters is that they aren't royal dignitaries. When they go away they can always come back at some point. Marriage is forever. Being a Queen is a 24/7 responsibility. So unless T'Challa and Storm are fighting it wouldn't really make sense long term for Storm to be hoping back and forth outside of short visits to the X-Men. Say whatever you will but that is a huge anvil placed on that character due to the marriage of king in another nation.

Not only that but to the people of Wakanda it must have seemed even more irresponsible for their Queen to be off risking her life for matters that were not directly related to Wakanda. I mean would anyone here really support Melania Trump running off to Slovenia to take on their version of the mob every other week ? I'm being facetious of course but the point still stands.

It also doesn't help that most of the characters mentioned outside of Wolverine and maybe Rogue weren't as popular as or critical to the X-Men as Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Nice thing about Storm these days is that she's neither a queen nor a team leader in the X-Men at the moment, so date night with her and T'Challa isn't much of a problem anymore.
    I don't think them dating would be a problem. The actual union of marriage would be.

I do think overall both would be better served with other characters as love interest though.

Storm needs a bridge into the large Marvel universe that can still keep her connect to the X-Men. Which lends itself to being a Mutant who naturally fits in most settings of the MU.

While T'Challa needs a strong queen who can keep up with him intellectually, while also being capable of ruling in his absence. Storm can't logically do that if she is equally dedicated to another team. Especially, if that team stands for a cause as grand as human in justice.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-03-2018 at 07:28 PM.

....I guess I'm not being clear. The issue with Storm compared to all those other characters is that they aren't royal dignitaries. When they go away they can always come back at some point. Marriage is forever. Being a Queen is a 24/7 responsibility. So unless T'Challa and Storm are fighting it wouldn't really make sense long term for Storm to be hoping back and forth outside of short visits to the X-Men. Say whatever you will but that is a huge anvil placed on that character due to the marriage of king in another nation.

Not only that but to the people of Wakanda it must have seemed even more irresponsible for their Queen to be off risking her life for matters that were not directly related to Wakanda. I mean would anyone here really support Melania Trump running off to Slovenia to take on their version of the mob every other week ? I'm being facetious of course but the point still stands.

It also doesn't help that most of the characters mentioned outside of Wolverine and maybe Rogue weren't as popular as or critical to the X-Men as Storm.

I don't think them dating would be a problem. The actual union of marriage would be.

I do think overall both would be better served with other characters as love interest though.

Storm needs a bridge into the large Marvel universe that can still keep her connect to the X-Men. Which lends itself to being a Mutant who naturally fits in most settings of the MU.

While T'Challa needs a strong queen who can keep up with him intellectually, while also being capable of ruling in his absence. Storm can't logically do that if she is equally dedicated to another team. Especially, if that team stands for a cause as grand as human in justice.
    But it's only a problem if a writer wants it to be. Namor Rules Atlantis yet he's able to be an Avenger and an X-Man.

If the goal of the X-Men is to be accepted and to live peacefully with Homo Sapiens, then Storm and T'Challa would make the perfect example.

Again, it's only a problem if a writer wants it to be.

As far as Storm being critical to the X-Men, that hasn't happened in decades.

Astonishing Member

1) Bad idea, no wasn't really hurting any body.
    2) Did I see it lasting forever, maybe though I hated that they said they were having marriage troubles without anyone seeing it, AvX could have been what started their troubles and the editors and offices could see how it is progressing, plus community thoughts to see if they stick together or not.
    3) Would Black Panther have needed to change to Black Panther and Storm, no cause she would not have to be in every issue you can have an arc with just him while he is doing that she is doing her own thing.
    4) This whole it would be hard to believe her being able to balance 2 places at once, you must be really new to comics cause he have characters with solos, 2 team books, and we can be told they still manage a regular civi life.
    5) Storm making a Wakanda school for Mutants/X-men, sure but I am guessing the students would be more then from Wakanda or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    But it's only a problem if a writer wants it to be. Namor Rules Atlantis yet he's able to be an Avenger and an X-Man.

If the goal of the X-Men is to be accepted and to live peacefully with Homo Sapiens, then Storm and T'Challa would make the perfect example.

Again, it's only a problem if a writer wants it to be.

As far as Storm being critical to the X-Men, that hasn't happened in decades.

Namor was only an Avenger when he was no longer ruler of Atlantis or when he needed help dealing with a problem directly related to Atlantis.

When Namor was an X-Man he was in way forced to move his people to live under the waters of Utopia because his people where almost wiped out. Not only that but Namor is ruler of little over 70% of the globe. That tends to extend his reach globally. Namor is also a mutant which gives him a natural stake in mutant affairs.

Your right it is only a problem if a writer wants it to be. But the gymnastics that writer would have to take in each comic not only for it to be enjoyable to write but for it to be believable to the reader month after month probably would not be worth the hassle. Again, I direct you to my Melina Trump comment.

Storm is an X-Men icon. Always has been and probably always will be. You take her away from the people who support her without doing it in the way that is darn near perfect and the company risk loosing that support, along with revenue.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-03-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

It would have been better had Hudlin been able to write a competent Storm. He couldn’t. Sometimes she’d be formidable, and others she’d be subservient to T’Challa. Claremont wasn’t given the chance to react, because the marriage was thrust on the group.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post

It could have been something magical. The rushed marriage, the mediocre mini to flesh out their history in Africa, and then Hudlin’s handling of Storm & T’Challa being mediocre at best, would sour a lot of fans to their pairing.