Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast
    BANNED

It's a bad idea for Storm to get married.

Boyfriends only,

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'll give you a 4/10.

I can't disagree though. The problem is the writing. When you read 80s and 90s X-Men, the interactions between Logan and Ororo go like "yeah these two are probably fucking". You only get close to that type of relationship when they were leading the Fantastic Four.
    I never got that impression. I never saw anything vaguely romantic till Claremont return to Uncanny with Alan Davis after Jean died

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I never got that impression. I never saw anything vaguely romantic till Claremont return to Uncanny with Alan Davis after Jean died
    I was more like "okay, yeah, ALL of these people have probably fucked everybody else at one time or another".

Amazing Member

My only problem is with those who think the marriage is racist (and I've seen it on a lot of forums). Doesn't make sense to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'll give you a 4/10.

I can't disagree though. The problem is the writing. When you read 80s and 90s X-Men, the interactions between Logan and Ororo go like "yeah these two are probably fucking". You only get close to that type of relationship when they were leading the Fantastic Four.
    I struggle with the impression that you are missing an often overlooked piece of the puzzle. Yes the writing is the problem. The writing is the reason there are no more prominent black male X-Men. The writing is the reason they've been removed from the board. The writing is the reason Storm is the last black mutant of prominence left. That's scary to consider when you realize that the only X-book she currently has a reoccurring role in is X-Men Gold. Do I really need to tell you how the writing is over there? Are you aware of how the last black mutant of prominence is being treated over there? She's nothing more than a diversity hire. She sleeps on the job, she can't think for herself and she needs to be instructed how to use her own powers.

To bring the major point full circle, with Storm being the only female and last black mutant of prominence, the other black mutants (males in particular) had to be written out. They are gone. Storm is the only one because the rest have been removed. With the removal of all black male mutants, gone are the possibilities of her having an organic affectionate embrace or connection with any in the X-books. The writing is what made this the issue.

Now that you've been made aware of how things are playing out, do you now see why Storm being written more affectionately with other men (the white ones) as compared to her husband is so glaring? Surely you understand that the writing has more than guaranteed that Storm will have no long lasting organic connection to any of the black male mutants. The narrative has been crafted in such a way as to completely isolate her from black males in the X-Men, but she's available to all the other males. The X-Office has made it so that they don't have to write black males because they don't have any of their own. So ask yourself, why would they then write Storm in a relationship with a black male that they never wanted her to be with? Notice how their best characterization as a couple comes from outside the X-books? Only now that the Black Panther movie is out, notice how the X-Office is eager to embrace Wakanda with Jean Grey at the helm? Lol Is all of this mere coincidence to you? Or is the writing being skewed from "white mutant lives matter" point of view?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    They do have a ship name. Most people go with T'Choro or T'roro. Me personally, I prefer O'Challa. O! O'CHALLA, LET ME LOVE YOU TIL THE MORNING COMES. O'CHALLA, O'CHALLA! lolol

Anywho, when I mentioned Storm being back in the sack with a white guy, it may have been a tad of an overreach. But not really tho. Especially when you consider just how many monarchs and villains have tried to make her their queen. And that's not even including her fellow X-Men that she's been seen to be very affectionate with. You wanna go down the list, Anya? I'm game. Dracula, Loki, Arkon, Doom, Namor, Khan etc? I know I'm missing a few. Wanna count the fellow X-Men she's been linked to? Oh ok, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Cable, Gambit, Slipstream, Cyclops etc? And I'm sure I'm missing some there too. Granted Storm was not in a sexual relationship with all of the men I've mentioned, but they have had some sort of affectionate exchange within the X-verse. Tell me I'm lying. I'll wait. Meanwhile, name how many affectionate embraces she's shared with her own husband within the X-books? I'll wait on that too. This isn't me putting my spin on it. This is me accounting for the facts laid out on the page. With the representation of a white guy in place of these characters, it then does become about the thrill of living vicariously thru him and his fling with Ororo. That connection goes away when her black husband is then put in place as her choice to spread her genetic material with. T'Challa's black penis is not something that the white male writers of the X-Men can understand or identify with. I'm seriously hoping you haven't done yourself the disservice of believing otherwise.
    Well if you're changing it from in the sack to somewhat affectionate, then no, you are not lying. I just consider those things to be different. And if anyone wanting live vicariously through 'flings,' would need some 'flinge' and not occasionally displays of affections. But everyone's different, lol.

I think I'm partial to T'Choro, though O'Challa is very fun to say.

BTW, I didn't don't care for T'Choro , in th beginning, but I'm not 'against' it entirely.
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 03-07-2018 at 08:54 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Well if you're changing it from in the sack to somewhat affectionate, then no, you are not lying. I just consider those things to be different. And if anyone wanting live vicariously through 'flings,' would need some 'flinge' and not occasionally displays of affections. But everyone's different, lol.

I think I'm partial to T'Choro, though O'Challa is very fun to say.

BTW, I didn't don't care for T'Choro , in th beginning, but I'm not 'against' it entirely.
    In all honesty, there really is no need for a change. Adding in intimate or affectionate embraces served to greater illustrate my point with a greater pool of evidence. But keeping to my original language, Slipstream is a white male that Storm jumped into the sack with. (If her encounters with Callisto and Yukio are considered canon, I do, then Slipstream can be added too) He was prior to the marriage and the annulment. Namor and Storm were in the sack in Legion's alternate reality. This happened after the marriage but before the annulment. I know people like to brag about it being in ANOTHER reality, but consider the fact that that storyline had real world ramifications after everything was reverted back to normal. So as you can see, my points still have merit. There's still very much truth in my words. I know some people will disagree (not sure how, but ok) and that's fine tho. We just need to keep making way for the truth.

Astonishing Member

Slipstream was way before Panther (and she was leader before and after he was around) The namor thing was after panther, but it was brainwashing and an alternate reality, and didn't have any repercussions for either of them, but fine take that one. Carey had big gender issue blind spots, why not race, too.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

IDC about the comic relationship but in the movies Storm has alot of work to do before getting in a relationship.

- Establish her name isn't Storm and she actually has a real name that can said outside of battle

- Showing she's actually a skilled leader and tactical expert

- Showing her maternal greatness with the young student

- Give her badass moments that put Valkryie Gamora widow Okoye to shame

- Establish she has interest and hobbies outside of fighting for peaceful co existence. Id love a gardening scene for example

Etc etc

As far as a relationship I really don't want her with BP sinced a flatscan and is in a relationship. General Audience isn't comic fandom she'll be viewed as a man stealer.

I'd prefer her with a poc mutant. Preferably someone not as popular so she can be the A Side of the relationship. All the female characters are B side to their male partners in MCU.

Id love Storm to get with Thunderbird #ThunderStorm then Storm can be giving the usually male trope of grieving over a lost lover who died to give her even more development in MCU.

If Storm does get with BP I'd prefer her as BP movie support character instead of a xman because I'd like minimal avenger stuff in X-Men movies except for the inevitable VS movie. There will probably be minimal spots for male POC in X-Men movie and I don't want bp taken that spot
    Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 03-09-2018 at 06:05 AM.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

I struggle with the impression that you are missing an often overlooked piece of the puzzle. Yes the writing is the problem. The writing is the reason there are no more prominent black male X-Men. The writing is the reason they've been removed from the board. The writing is the reason Storm is the last black mutant of prominence left. That's scary to consider when you realize that the only X-book she currently has a reoccurring role in is X-Men Gold. Do I really need to tell you how the writing is over there? Are you aware of how the last black mutant of prominence is being treated over there? She's nothing more than a diversity hire. She sleeps on the job, she can't think for herself and she needs to be instructed how to use her own powers.

To bring the major point full circle, with Storm being the only female and last black mutant of prominence, the other black mutants (males in particular) had to be written out. They are gone. Storm is the only one because the rest have been removed. With the removal of all black male mutants, gone are the possibilities of her having an organic affectionate embrace or connection with any in the X-books. The writing is what made this the issue.

Now that you've been made aware of how things are playing out, do you now see why Storm being written more affectionately with other men (the white ones) as compared to her husband is so glaring? Surely you understand that the writing has more than guaranteed that Storm will have no long lasting organic connection to any of the black male mutants. The narrative has been crafted in such a way as to completely isolate her from black males in the X-Men, but she's available to all the other males. The X-Office has made it so that they don't have to write black males because they don't have any of their own. So ask yourself, why would they then write Storm in a relationship with a black male that they never wanted her to be with? Notice how their best characterization as a couple comes from outside the X-books? Only now that the Black Panther movie is out, notice how the X-Office is eager to embrace Wakanda with Jean Grey at the helm? Lol Is all of this mere coincidence to you? Or is the writing being skewed from "white mutant lives matter" point of view?
    This is the funny, but sad truth.

This post has touched upon so many issues that I have with the X-Men. A multitude of books that supposedly promotes diversity yet has a severe lack of Black males, hell black characters period. And then to show how "diverse" they are, they continually try to promote the most prominent black character they have in relationships with any character other than a black male(or female for our LGTBQ readers).

This problem isn't limited to the X-Men or comics in general. We see it in movies, TV shows, even commercials where there are an increasing number of interracial couples being portrayed and at the same time a decline in portraying couples of color engaged in a healthy sexual relationship. It's almost as if the idea of Black love is an alien concept to them.

And speaking of alien, you'll find more examples of Storm and Bishop involved in some kind of relationship with an alien or an alien showing some kind of affection/desire/lust for those two than you'd find where they are engaged in a relationship with the person of the same race. It's quite telling.
    Last edited by Marvell2100; 03-09-2018 at 06:57 AM. Reason: my spellink, oops...spelling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Slipstream was way before Panther (and she was leader before and after he was around) The namor thing was after panther, but it was brainwashing and an alternate reality, and didn't have any repercussions for either of them, but fine take that one. Carey had big gender issue blind spots, why not race, too.
    Lmao I don't know if you're aware, but you've just proven my very point. Slipstream was before BP and the Royal Marriage (she was in a leadership position). Namor was during the Royal Marriage, obviously with BP (clearly not in a leadership position). She was still taking orders from Cyclops. Who, what, when, where, why and forever how was this possible? Really? Seriously? We're talking about the first female leader X-Men? The woman earned the clout to name herself judge, jury and executioner as leader? A woman who sits on the throne of the most technologically advanced nation in the world? An annulment here, rebound sex there, Storm is in the sack with Wolverine and she becomes headmistress of the school (her leadership role is restored). I could go on all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    This post has touched upon so many issues that I have with the X-Men. A multitude of books that supposedly promotes diversity yet has a severe lack of Black males, hell black characters period. And then to show how "diverse" they are, they continually try to promote the most prominent black character they have in relationships with any character other than a black male(or female for our LGTBQ readers).

This problem isn't limited to the X-Men or comics in general. We see it in movies, TV shows, even commercials where there are an increasing number of interracial couples being portrayed and at the same time a decline in portraying couples of color engaged in a healthy sexual relationship. It's almost as if the idea of Black love is an alien concept to them.

And speaking of alien, you'll find more examples of Storm and Bishop involved in some kind of relationship with an alien or an alien showing some kind of affection/desire/lust for those two than you'd find where they are engaged in a relationship with the person of the same race. It's quite telling.
    Again, more truth being dropped. It's like diversity has been weaponized and nobody has the guts nor the incentive to call out the x-office on the blatant muting of strong black male mutants while insisting they are progressive cause they have storm and made iceman gay. What's criminal is that there were some very good pieces to work with. Yet, writers went out of their way to kill off and whiteout the few black male mutants there were. Like previously stated it's no surprise that readers would have such a hard time with Bishop and Storm being a couple. It's like the black bachelorette most black folk knew she was going with a white guy cause well, its a white show.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

I don't have a problem with Bishop & Storm it'd look excellent on screen & books imo. Anytime it's suggested it gets immediately shot down though.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Again, more truth being dropped. It's like diversity has been weaponized and nobody has the guts nor the incentive to call out the x-office on the blatant muting of strong black male mutants while insisting they are progressive cause they have storm and made iceman gay. What's criminal is that there were some very good pieces to work with. Yet, writers went out of their way to kill off and whiteout the few black male mutants there were. Like previously stated it's no surprise that readers would have such a hard time with Bishop and Storm being a couple. It's like the black bachelorette most black folk knew she was going with a white guy cause well, its a white show.
    Pretty much. Look at the line-up. There was no doubt about the outcome.

Same thing in the X-Books. When you have a lack of available black characters for whatever reasons they choose, it's obvious what the logical outcome is going to be.

They pretty much destroyed Bishop's character to the point he was toxic. What other black male mutant was allowed to be on any main X-book?