Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Will the DCAU course change & how possible?

Knowing that the current in-continuity animated features have drawn heavily from the 'New52' for some storylines & character developments, how can they now start incorporating 'Rebirth' elements? Can envisage a way of adapting 'Rise of the Batmen' by changing a few characters. This could easily follow the thread from 'Batman: Bad Blood' but how on earth can they introduce 'Supersons' with them already entrenched with the Clark/Diana relationship in the present continuity. Will they have to abandon the in-continuity universe they have built? That would seem a shame. I mention 'Supersons' as a case in point as it's hugely popular and would just lend itself to animation. Also we already have a well realized Damien. I just hear Stuart's voice whenever I read the character's dialogue. Was thinking are they gonna tweak 'The Death of Superman' adaptation as to give us a new status quo akin to Superman 's Rebirth storylines? Can it even done? Maybe it's gonna be a straight-up adaptation? Hasn't the pattern been 2 in-continuity features and one standalone per year? In which case we have just had 'Gotham by Gaslight.' (Well' Monday 5th February' here in the U.K.) meaning......? What do people think will be the likely direction of future animated features? Also please be patience with me as this is my first posting. Hope it isn't' 'naff' for everyone?

They could split into two separates universe. DC has already been shitting all over the New 52 in comics, so I would like to retain at least one thing which isn't tainted by Rebirth, thank you very much.

Fantastic Member

Disappointed this doesn't appear to have generated discussion. Thank you anyway Korath (cool name) guess you're a big fan of the 'New52.' Though I Don't believe that DC have been (as you eloquently put it) been _____ing all over that era, but folding it into pre-existing continuity. It's all still relevant, an abberaration created by Dr. Manhattan.

Extraordinary Member

The DC Animated features should change course...by quickly abandoning the New 52-based universe. All of those movies are awful. There's a reason why fan enthusiasm and critical acclaim took a severe downturn after Flashpoint Paradox. The only ones that have been decent have been Batman Bad Blood and the Judas Contract (which, as evidenced in the name, pulls heaving from the Pre-Flashpoint New Teen Titans story). And even then, Judas Contract could have been so much better if it had taken place in the "animated universe" from before Flashpoint Paradox.

Just pull a Rebirth and say that everything that's happened is an aberration and set the timeline right.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 02-04-2018 at 11:43 AM.

I wouldn't even worry about establishing a continuity anymore. These films are made so sporadically anyway, for one thing. If there's movies in the cooker with a New 52 feel, do them. But in the end just make animated films based on the concepts you want and don't worry about it. You want to do a story about Batman and Catwoman getting married? Do it. You want to do a movie about Clark and Lois having Jon? Do it. You want to do a story about Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship? Do it. Lets get pre-Crisis stuff in there too. As long as the individual self-contained stories make sense within their movie. Give everybody stuff they might like. DC has a vast history of a ton of different eras. In a main comic line I get focusing on one (even then though I think they're missing opportunities), but for other media why not take the opportunity to dip into anything you can get your hands on. Who cares the continuity of it. I don't get working on a mindset of one option and one option only when it comes to these properties. They've existed so long and in so many different forms, they literally beg to be told today in those different forms. The idea of just one vision and one vision only for any given time is just so limiting to me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-04-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I wouldn't even worry about establishing a continuity anymore. These films are made so sporadically anyway, for one thing. If there's movies in the cooker with a New 52 feel, do them. But in the end just make animated films based on the concepts you want and don't worry about it. You want to do a story about Batman and Catwoman getting married? Do it. You want to do a movie about Clark and Lois having Jon? Do it. You want to do a story about Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship? Do it. Lets get pre-Crisis stuff in there too. As long as the individual self-contained stories make sense within their movie. Give everybody stuff they might like. DC has a vast history of a ton of different eras. In a main comic line I get focusing on one (even then though I think they're missing opportunities), but for other media why not take the opportunity to dip into anything you can get your hands on. Who cares the continuity of it. I don't get working on a mindset of one option and one option only when it comes to these properties. They've existed so long and in so many different forms, they literally beg to be told today in those different forms. The idea of just one vision and one vision only for any given time is just so limiting to me.
    Good point' but some stories can't just be done' straight off the bat. Some world building is needed surely?

In some sense, yeah, but really I think world-building makes more sense for ongoing animated series'. For just the films I think a jump right in approach works fine. I mean, look at the adapatation for All-Star Superman. That is basically his last adventure, and jumps right into a fully established lore, and it works just fine. Same with Under The Red Hood. It didn't take multiple films building up Jason and then killing him to do it, they just jumped right in, and that worked out great too.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Knowing that the current in-continuity animated features have drawn heavily from the 'New52' for some storylines & character developments, how can they now start incorporating 'Rebirth' elements? Can envisage a way of adapting 'Rise of the Batmen' by changing a few characters. This could easily follow the thread from 'Batman: Bad Blood' but how on earth can they introduce 'Supersons' with them already entrenched with the Clark/Diana relationship in the present continuity. Will they have to abandon the in-continuity universe they have built? That would seem a shame. I mention 'Supersons' as a case in point as it's hugely popular and would just lend itself to animation. Also we already have a well realized Damien. I just hear Stuart's voice whenever I read the character's dialogue. Was thinking are they gonna tweak 'The Death of Superman' adaptation as to give us a new status quo akin to Superman 's Rebirth storylines? Can it even done? Maybe it's gonna be a straight-up adaptation? Hasn't the pattern been 2 in-continuity features and one standalone per year? In which case we have just had 'Gotham by Gaslight.' (Well' Monday 5th February' here in the U.K.) meaning......? What do people think will be the likely direction of future animated features? Also please be patience with me as this is my first posting. Hope it isn't' 'naff' for everyone?
    @ the start of Rebirth they announced that they were carrying on and didn't see the universe as nu52 based. The animated thread has a link to the head of animations twitter feed where he was asked.

I wish they would because I want to see Jon Kent.

I'm curious to see how they'll handle adapting the Death/Return story since they've teased it would be in this continuity.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I never really saw the point of having a continuity between the various animated movies. All it's done is give them more headaches trying to justify everything, in ways that are very unsatisfying. Currently, the Teen Titans pre-date the Justice League in this continuity, correct? Basing an animated universe on the already dated New 52 did not strike me as a particularly good plan given how the New 52 comics had begun running out of steam almost immediately.

I preferred the loose continuity they had following the end of the Justice League animated series, where each movie had its own continuity that served the needs of the story being told. If fans want tight continuity-based DCU stories, they have the comics.

What movies are connected in a shared universe sense in the DCAU?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    What movies are connected in a shared universe sense in the DCAU?
    In order:

Flashpoint Paradox (Technically) -> Justice League War -> Son of Batman -> Justice League: Thrones of Atlantis -> Batman vs. Robin -> Batman: Bad Blood -> Justice League vs. Teen Titans -> Justice League Dark -> Teen Titans: The Judas Contract -> Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay.

BANNED

Does anyone know when the Batman Anime movie is coming out?

I haven't been the biggest fan of this new DCAU, I skipped most stuff after the mediocre stuff early on, but the last two movies have been pretty great. Bad Blood was surprisingly good, even if it was flawed. If they borrow from Rebirth to tell a Gotham Knights story with that cast plus Batgirl, that'd be great. And then there was the Judas Contract, which was also pretty good. It wasn't amazing or anything, but I enjoyed it a lot, especially the scenes between Dick and Kory, and I'm definitely looking forward to what they could do with Donna.

So basically, I hope they don't do anything. Keep this continuity. It's not perfect, but they can continue to soft retcon things in Rebirth-style and it'll be fine, they kinda already did in the Judas Contract anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    So basically, I hope they don't do anything. Keep this continuity. It's not perfect, but they can continue to soft retcon things in Rebirth-style and it'll be fine, they kinda already did in the Judas Contract anyways.
    I feel like that will probably be how they approach the Death/Reign Superman movies coming up, if they are in-continuity.