Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Her caring, motherly side. UXM #303 is the epitome of Jean Grey to me.
    Same here and I'll add her terrible majesty when it comes to protecting those she cares for a la X-Men v2 #28. Jean sure was motherly to Jubilee in the early 90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I like the fact that in XMR, she's her own person. She's not defined by being someone's love interest or a cosmic entity host. I think I'll enjoy getting to know this Jean better.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Same here and I'll add her terrible majesty when it comes to protecting those she cares for a la X-Men v2 #28. Jean sure was motherly to Jubilee in the early 90s.
    Awesome! You know I'd completely forgotten about Birdy until you posted that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

BANNED

I really like the way original Jean Grey took Storm under her wing and showed her how to put her best foot forward as a mutant hero and leader of a generation of heroes. Queen Phoenix, the atom bomb, Goddess of fire, her warmth knows no bounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    why does this need its own thread? isn't this what we have an appreciation for??
    Why is this thread topic a problem for you? Do you have something of value to add or nah?

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Awesome! You know I'd completely forgotten about Birdy until you posted that.
    Poor thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

I like Jean Grey pining over Clueless Scott.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I like Jean Grey pining over Clueless Scott.
    The clueless ones are always fun. You toy with their brain while using their brawn for your personal pleasure.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    why does this need its own thread? isn't this what we have an appreciation for??
    Indeed that is an Important Question, One I likely should have answered in the OP, but better here.

I have asked that before in appreciation threads and while I do get interesting and good answers, this question about Jean Grey is one I have been waiting to ask the whole of the X-Fan community for a long-time. Fans have an opinion on Jean Grey whether your a fan or not and not all fans go to the appreciation thread either, so this is a question I have been waiting to ask everyone around the fandom.

This is not about celebrating or appreciating Jean Grey, I am sorry if it seemed like that, it is not. It is about learning more about a character that is, no matter what she is one of the most major characters not just in the X-Men but in Marvel as a who in its history.

It has been a question I have been waiting to ask the community for a long time to learn more about Jean Grey, now I felt was the perfect time and it is question I like the whole of the community to have the opportunity to notice.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

My first X-Men comic was way back in 1985 when Uncanny X-Men 125 was published in Sweden. Jean Grey’s powers were tested by Moira. And I fell in love with this beautiful, powerful, enigmatic, kind and caring woman. I cried when she died and while I was overjoyed when she returned I felt cheated. The woman I fell in love with was somehow not that woman, even though she was. I still to this day hate the Phoenix retcon.

Everything about the Phoenix feels so convoluted and it feels like when Jean returned they had problems writing her. Everytime she did something powerful they had to bring up ”will she become the Phoenix again (even though she never, eh, was Phoenix in the first place)”. When she re-joined the X-Men in the early 1990s they kept downplaying her (not to mention what they did to her in the animated series), and I think that was mainly due to them not knowing how to write a woman that once was, even though she wasn’t, an all powerful cosmic being.

Things started to change with X-Men 28 and then when she took back the name Phoenix at least they wrote her with some sort of consistency.

So many retcons have been retconned away, but somehow we are stuck with the stupid Phoenix retcon that downplays the wonderful character of Jean Grey and her amazing potential, both as a character and powerwise. If we can’t have Jean as Phoenix I would love for them to just get rid of the Phoenix altogether and explore Jean’s Omega potential in creative ways. I loved what Bendis did with Jeen and I hope they will do something similar with Jean in X-Men Red.

So what I love about Jean is that she is a kind and caring woman who can’t help being drawn to the darkness. Who loves her powers and sometimes gets high using them. She is such a human character at the same time as she has the potential to be a goddess. She is one of the original female powerhouses in the Marvel Universe and I hope they will truly explore all facets to this complex woman.
    Last edited by johnnysv75; 02-11-2018 at 04:01 AM.

BANNED

She defined this often true saying.

Behind every great man (Scott)
    Is a great woman (Jean)

Jean evolved to an independent woman after the Scott/Apocalypse merge. Usually, she is often defined by her relationship with Cyclops and the Phoenix Force.It was good to see her be something more after the ages of apocalypse/the twelve story line.

BANNED

I like that she's a goodie two shoe character.

I loved her comic relief in the animated series. Always falling, fainting, and being completely useless. It was excellent. That is what I love best about Jean Grey.

That she and Scott were meant for each other.
    4wnrz.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    I like that she's a goodie two shoe character.
    Snuggling wolverine and offering an affair.
    Killing 6 billion people?

Jean has a bad side she suppresses to keep her goody two shoes image.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    Snuggling wolverine and offering an affair.
    Killing 6 billion people?

Jean has a bad side she suppresses to keep her goody two shoes image.
    She never offered a affair with Wolverine

Jean is a flawed character, but worked hard to show that she is mostly a good person