View Poll Results: Could Rogue Have Made A Better Captain Marvel Than Carol Danvers?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Rogue already had the support she just needed the Marvel push!!

24 26.37%
  • No! Carol Danvers is still the better choice!

67 73.63%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Rogue taking Carol's name is pretty much this.

Not really a fair comparison. Rogue not a self-centered, super villain bent on proving she is better than a another man.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Not really a fair comparison. Rogue not a self-centered, super villain bent on proving she is better than a another man.
    I got this as evidence.

Is this better?

That was a dark time for Rogue - Sure, she made up with Carol but I think becoming Captain Marvel wouldn't help her mentally- also don't feel she would be someone to take up a mantle only loosely linked to her.

As a business perspective, this could bring Rouge and X-Men fans (including myself) over to the book, possibly increasing sales, but the market is unpredictable
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

A comic where she was manipulated by woman using pimp tactics to trick Rogue into believing several lies and in return making very bad choices?

Nah doesn't quiet fit.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Niffleheim

I was thinking about Rogue being Captain Marvel the other day lol! but even though i don't like Carol i wouldn't go as far as to start a thread about it. Poor Carol how the hell will she succeed if we keep thinking about every body else but her as Captain Marvel?
    Last edited by Tofali; 02-11-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Her movie will probably fix a lot of things. But it is a shame that it will take that to do it instead of it being a natural progression of the character.

Several Fans have mentioned Marvel should have done things differently with Carol, this thread is sorta a question of what if they didn't have to with a character who was and still is working with the fans.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-11-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You know what might have helped when they were first trying to push Carol? A book that teamed up her and Rogue. Make it so they had to work with each other because of the link between them and them not liking each other. It would have helped Carol because they could have piggybacked of Rogues popularity and built up her fanbase before going at it alone.

How many series has Carol had now anyway? It has to be close to 10 at this point.

Carol being Captain Marvel isn't the problem. If they had done the same with any other character people would have issues. If they made Rogue or anyone else Captain Marvel and done the same things they did with Carol, it wouldn't be any better.

Carol was well liked when Ms Marvel, Warbird and when she first became Captain Marvel.

And as usual when there is some event that pits hero against hero, someone is going to be written as an ass. They do it all the time. This time it was Carol's turn.

That doesn't make her a bad character or someone who can't be successful as Captain Marvel. It just means Marvel has to stop mis-managing her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    You know what might have helped when they were first trying to push Carol? A book that teamed up her and Rogue. Make it so they had to work with each other because of the link between them and them not liking each other. It would have helped Carol because they could have piggybacked of Rogues popularity and built up her fanbase before going at it alone.

How many series has Carol had now anyway? It has to be close to 10 at this point.
    That is a very good point. Carol very well may have been better off in a buddy type book with a more popular character at the time to help her out some...
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-11-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Her movie will probably fix a lot of things. But it is a shame that it will take that to do it instead of it being a natural progression of the character.

Several Fans have mentioned Marvel should have done things differently with Carol, this thread is sorta a question of what if they didn't have to with a character who was and still is working with the fans.
    But Rogue works with the fans as Rogue, what's to say she would still work with the fans as Captain Marvel? There are Carol fans that still lament the loss of her as Ms. Marvel and don't like her as Captain Marvel, and she has also taken several different names over the years. Rogue has her own brand, she has always been Rogue, I guess I don't see how taking a mantle that she has no connection to would benefit her character at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakronicity View Post
    But Rogue works with the fans as Rogue, what's to say she would still work with the fans as Captain Marvel? There are Carol fans that still lament the loss of her as Ms. Marvel and don't like her as Captain Marvel, and she has also taken several different names over the years. Rogue has her own brand, she has always been Rogue, I guess I don't see how taking a mantle that she has no connection to would benefit her character at all.
    Carol had her own brand as Warbird too though. In the context that it happen Marvel didn't really give us a choice. So in the same context I guess think if it would have worked better with Rogue overall then it would have with Carol.

If you think the results would have been the same then say so. If you think they would have been worse or better then post that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

There's been 10 volumes of Captain Marvel, but Carol's only had 4 of those, plus two as Ms Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Just to end the questions on the HOW ...

Carol Danvers claimed the mantle of Captain Marvel but shortly after died. Rogue was some how part of the adventure that led to her death and in Carols final moments asked if she would continue Mar-Vells Legacy . Rogue who was inspired by Carol courage as a hero and in her death grants her dying wish and claims the Captain Marvel title as her own.

Now could Rogue handle the title as Captain Marvel? Could she be Marvels defacto number one superhero to the Marvel Universe? Would she be more appealing to fans and potentially sell better?

Or would Carol still do all these things better?

So I read at the beginning that if Rogue became Captain Marvel, Kamala would've taken up the Rogue name.

Given how extremely well beloved Rogue is, and the current pop culture hostilities, do you really think that would've gone over well? Kamala already gets a lot of flack for taking over the Ms. Marvel name because of that enduring image of Carol in the iconic black suit. While I'm sure some wouldn't mind Kamala taking over the Rogue name, so many people would riot just at the very idea for a number of reasons.