Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
    Hopefully we get more Jubilee Chamber romance before its done
    Jonolee needs to continue to be a thing past this title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Jonolee needs to continue to be a thing past this title.
    Yeah. I think Jubilee has had the worst love life in Marvel in that she doesn't seem like she dated anyone. Seems she's had one-sided crushes or maybe ships that never got to launch. But you have other characters that have different love interests in multiple stories that actually take off -at least for a short while. Wolverine, Domino, Psylocke, Mystique (duh lol), and even Deadpool.

Same with Monet, really. She had an actual relationship with Synch. Then she got one-night-stood by a Madrox dupe. Then her other 2 pairings were ship teases that didn't get too far, which was Creed & Strong Guy -the latter she lost when he damned himself to Hell saving her. Both of whom are ignored ships now. But Hell, even this is better than what Jubilee gets.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-17-2018 at 04:02 PM.

All-New Member

How the heck is this not selling more?

Ultimate Member

You forgot about Darwin with M...though that didn't last very long either...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    You forgot about Darwin with M...though that didn't last very long either...
    Thanks. Easy one to forget since I think it ended the very chapter they slept together, where Darwin admits Monet isn't in a place to love anyone or have a relationship.

Ultimate Member

Np, yeah many people didn't like that pairing at the time, though none of the pairings in PAD's X-Factor really worked, outside of probably Rictor and Shatterstar, the rest had serious problems...

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Beyond happy about Jubilee. I also hope Monet is free of Emplate in this issue
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Fantastic Member

this book is so good. so unfair that it's getting canceled. it's been a great book from the get-go. what is wrong with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    this book is so good. so unfair that it's getting canceled. it's been a great book from the get-go. what is wrong with the world.
    It wasn't what fans of previous GenX were expecting. The original GenX has been finished around 20 years. When it was announced to be coming back, most fans wanted the original team back together after so long -especially when the characters don't get used much elsewhere.

When it turns out we got a bunch of new "lovable losers" to follow with only Jubilee as a main character & the other OG members in the background, it was all downhill from there.
    The completely new line-up with little focus on the OG cast already worked hard against it before the first chapter saw release. And because if that, fans were extra critical of the story from the get-go & more inclined to drop it sooner than wait for it to find its legs. The art didn't do it any favors either. So wrong line-up with the wrong artist.

And I think the new Exiles book is making the same mistake. The only OG character in the line-up is Blink -everyone else is new. Unless these characters blow everyone away in the first 2 chapters somehow, then I don't think that series will last too long either. Once again, not what most long-term fans expected or wanted when it's announced for Exiles to be coming back. Many are already disappointed with the line-up & Blink's new design is getting mixed reviews. So like GenX, people are gonna be micro-scoping that from the start.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-18-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    It wasn't what fans of previous GenX were expecting. The original GenX has been finished around 20 years. When it was announced to be coming back, most fans wanted the original team back together after so long -especially when the characters don't get used much elsewhere.

When it turns out we got a bunch of new "lovable losers" to follow with only Jubilee as a main character & the other OG members in the background, it was all downhill from there.
    The completely new line-up with little focus on the OG cast already worked hard against it before the first chapter saw release. And because if that, fans were extra critical of the story from the get-go & more inclined to drop it sooner than wait for it to find its legs. The art didn't do it any favors either. So wrong line-up with the wrong artist.

And I think the new Exiles book is making the same mistake. The only OG character in the line-up is Blink -everyone else is new. Unless these characters blow everyone away in the first 2 chapters somehow, then I don't think that series will last too long either. Once again, not what most long-term fans expected or wanted when it's announced for Exiles to be coming back. Many are already disappointed with the line-up & Blink's new design is getting mixed reviews. So like GenX, people are gonna be micro-scoping that from the start.
    People's attachment to characters seems to undercut the unpredictability that many claim helped the '70s and '80s X-Men book rise to prominence.

Anyway, I will admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the book myself. It felt like an Xavier's School book like many Xavier's School books we've seen in the past. It even had the "former students teaching new students" angle like New Mutants vol. 3 and Young X-Men had. The only "school book" I ever felt seemed truly different was Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men, which did it by acknowledging the absurdity of Xavier's School and the X-Men's world.

And yet, I still feel bad it's getting cancelled. Why? Because these teen X-Men books tend to resonate most with younger readers. So, there's probably some 14 year old kid out there who's really going to miss this series.

To get microscoped, GenX would have needed to catch interest first. A cast of largely untested characters is a hard sell. "Lovable losers" as a concept is a hard sell. If they were going to cash in on the name, they should have focused at least equally on the old cast from the beginning, let the newcomers grow on the readers, get some feedback and then focused on those who worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    To get microscoped, GenX would have needed to catch interest first. A cast of largely untested characters is a hard sell. "Lovable losers" as a concept is a hard sell. If they were going to cash in on the name, they should have focused at least equally on the old cast from the beginning, let the newcomers grow on the readers, get some feedback and then focused on those who worked.
    I said as much in another thread that Strain did the reverse of what she should have.

A quote
    Yep. I think that's a big thing that did in Generation X. When you reboot an older title, you need recognizable popular characters. And when that doesn't happen, you get tons of disappointed fans because it's not about the same characters they came to love in the original.

GenX had Jubilee. But all the other OG members were background foils to the new lovable losers. And many didn't want that. Also many Monet fans are pissed about the M-Plate deal that has taken it's time ever being addressed with Bunn losing her.

Now Exiles is doing the same. They gave us Blink, but nobody else. Like Morph, or Sabretooth, or any of her previous teammates. I guess Wolvie was their answer by replacing Sabretooth (mentor) with a young Wolverine (student) variant for Blink to care for, reversing her role from the child & student to the mother & teacher.

As with any title. Focus on the older classic characters, THEN bring in the new characters as foils to develop the older cast, and give people a chance to warm to the newer ones.
    So GenX fans were probably salty going into this book, and decided to give it a small chance, but came away unimpressed. A youtube review mentions that the cast was just stupid idiots doing stupid things, like Jubilee almost giving a bottle of blood to Shogo and messing everything up -then they mention Champions as a perfect example of how to write kids & teens with powers still being kids.

BANNED

It wasn't what fans of the previous GenX were expecting. The original GenX has been finished around 20 years. When it was announced to be coming back, most fans wanted the original team back together after so long -especially when the characters don't get used much elsewhere.

When it turns out we got a bunch of new "lovable losers" to follow with only Jubilee as the main character & the other OG members in the background, it was all downhill from there.

I think had they had the wrong priorities. Had the original Gen X (Jubilee, Chamber, Husk, Monet) been the primary cast, and the lovable losers (Quire, Morph, Bling etc.) been the secondary cast, it would have garnered more interest. And while I loved what Strain did with the teen drama and romance, it's a lot harder to get people to be invested in a bunch of nobodies. It doesn't help that the original teaser image for the Gen X series showed fan-favorites like X-23, Dani Moonstar, Hellion, Dust, Elixir, Oya, Pixie etc. I dunno about everyone else, but I had thought it might've been the new school book, focusing on the Xavier Institutes teachers and students. When the core cast was announced, there was bound to be some disappointment. And despite all Strain did to make us fall for the losers club, the art quality and lack of A-list characters let it down. By the time we were finally onboard, it was too late and cancellation loomed.

I agree 100% about the Exiles cast. It sucks because Saladin I'm sure has some great stories planned. But we've got Old Kamala Khan, Iron Lad and Wolvie, characters nobody aksed for. Where's Nocturne, Morph, Old Man Logan, Ruby Summers, Spider-Man 2099 etc.? They're the alternate characters people would buy the book for. The titles are nostalgic but the content lacks the substance we're craving.

I said as much in another thread that Strain did the reverse of what she should have.

A quote

So GenX fans were probably salty going into this book, and decided to give it a small chance, but came away unimpressed. A youtube review mentions that the cast was just stupid idiots doing stupid things, like Jubilee almost giving a bottle of blood to Shogo and messing everything up -then they mention Champions as a perfect example of how to write kids & teens with powers still being kids.
    Yes, the approach was flawed from the start, same for Exiles. It worked with ANAD X-Men but the market isn't the same today.

Haven't seen that review but I'm not a fan of Champions. I'm probably not the target for kid/teen books either

Astonishing Member

The original Generation X launched with mostly new characters, but 1) It was the '90s and 2) it was coming off of a big crossover like "Phalanx Covenant".