Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fan outrage when Claremont took over?

I have always heard there were a lot of people upset when Chris Claremont took over the X-Men and brought in the All New and Different X-Men and diversified the X-Men but I had only seen one or two letters in the pages. And assumed it was a minority. However, people have told me that there was an enormous amount of anger when the O5 was sidelined and I always found that hard to believe given that Claremont saved the franchise.

Anyway I came across this little gem and thought I would share for those who haven't seen it. Sounds on par to a message you'd see on the internet these days.

Fantastic Member

It's not hard to believe. There's fan outrage every time big changes are made.

Well it's kind of hard to be outraged when your book gets cancelled and then launched again

BANNED

I miss the days when Big Two publishers would actually print and address negative feedback, instead of all the cheerleading they do these days. And ESPECIALLY didn't lie about not receiving any at all (lookin' at you, Gugs).

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I miss the days when Big Two publishers would actually print and address negative feedback, instead of all the cheerleading they do these days. And ESPECIALLY didn't lie about not receiving any at all (lookin' at you, Gugs).
    Look at the name of the person who sent the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Look at the name of the person who sent the letter.
    Claremont: “Well if you don’t like it then write your OWN damn comics!”

Busiek: “FINE!”
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

BANNED

The Uncanny X-Men omnibuses print all the letter pages. It also has cartoons of Claremont and Wein being burned at the stake in the supplemental material, which was Marvel at the time making jest of the fact that they got so many negative feedback.

Kurt Busiek came up with the shitty Phoenix retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This. So much this.

That was one of the things that made Marvel better than DC.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Well it's kind of hard to be outraged when your book gets cancelled and then launched again
    with a brand new cast. This happens today. It's not that hard to beleive

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Claremont *radically* changed the X-Men from what they were. Like almost completely. I would compare it to X-FOrce turning into X-Statix. That change also got enormous pushback in the letters/email columns of like 2001/2002.

It is kind of funny how people want to cling to the status quo and the iconic/main X-Men who themselves were absolutely "All New All Different" compared to the original squad. It's (forgive this analogy lol) almost like white people in the USA being "against immigrants".
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    It is kind of funny how people want to cling to the status quo and the iconic/main X-Men who themselves were absolutely "All New All Different" compared to the original squad. It's (forgive this analogy lol) almost like white people in the USA being "against immigrants".
    That's kind of the irony (and the annoyance) of it.

Fantastic Member

Claremont *radically* changed the X-Men from what they were. Like almost completely. I would compare it to X-FOrce turning into X-Statix. That change also got enormous pushback in the letters/email columns of like 2001/2002.

It has more to do with nostalgia, I think. People who started reading the book and became fans during the Silver age (like Busiek) didn't feel the ANAD team was "their x-men". Just like many people today won't accept anything that isn't a Claremont throwback.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Admittedly, X-Statix's debut came more as a result of parody than anything else.

As for the analogy of "white people in the USA being "against immigrants," won't get into that, but as for me personally, while everyone praises the Giant-Size X-Men team of 1975 over the 1963 one, I honestly don't think the 1975 team was that well developed either in its first few years either, and didn't become a much more interesting team until after Jean Grey's death, between 1980 and 1985:

Nightcrawler - started out somewhat interesting, but didn't become much more interesting until his miniseries in 1985.

Storm - started out somewhat interesting, but didn't become much more interesting until her development in Dancin' in the Dark in 1983.

Sunfire - was too much of a jerk without an endearing quality and never really interested me in the short time before he left.

Thunderbird - started out somewhat interesting, but the point becomes moot after his death

Banshee - never really interested me

Colossus - never really interested me until He'll Never Make Me Cry in 1984.

Cyclops - a slightly more endearing jerk than Sunfire, but still never really interested me

Wolverine - started out somewhat interesting, but didn't become much more interesting until his miniseries in 1982.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 12-01-2019 at 01:26 PM.

As someone who started to read X-men comics with the New X-men, I didn't go through the same 'heartbreak' as Busiek but I certainly can understand. When you love something…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    with a brand new cast. This happens today. It's not that hard to beleive
    There wasn't a sign of it returning the book was canned. Until it was ressurected. What happens today is there is almost hope of a relaunch and revamp. It's not the same thing. It was an unusual thing back then

Cancelled in 1970 and relaunched in 1975
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 02-16-2018 at 10:35 PM.