Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Rutog, I love you, but stop. Consider the fact that Black Panther's first movie just dropped and he has resonated with more people than any of the multiple X-Men movies. Please don't do this. You will not win. How many X-Men movies are there? And how many of them cracked the all time highest grossing lists?
    I don't know how the X-Men movies have done, honestly. I was just going by the comics. Black Panther has never been a big gun in the comic industry anywhere near the X-Men at their peak.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    The first marvel's black superhero was Blade released in 1998.
    You're not helping yourself. You're essentially playing semantics about your perceived slight of Marvel playing semantics about their first black superhero. You've already started your argument on faulty information. Quit before you embarrass yourself further.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Black Panther has been around since the 60's. I think 65 of 66.

Blade came along in the 70's.

Blade may have been adapted into a film first. But BP has longer history as being the first black African hero, which makes it a big deal to finally be adapted into a feature film for the eldest black super hero.
    He's not listening. Maybe he needs some time with his feelings. I know of a few people in particular who I envision having a really tough time at the moment. The thought fills me with immense joy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Sorry, have to disagree. Black Panther is Marvels first black superhero and he can maintain a solo book (and now a solo film) things that Storm can't do. If you didn't think he was before, he definitely is now and will be from now on. Storm v Wonder Woman happened 20 years ago, it's time to move on.
    A lot of this true. Thanks, boo!

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    What you said here is not true. Black Panther's books have been cancelled many times. The issue with Storm's solo title was it was poorly planned and was nothing but a rehash of her Greatest Hits of the 80s which have been done to death. It did not begin to explore the rich potential of her character and history. That said, superhero films tend to do well. Period. Tell me one Marvel film that has tanked since X-Men 1? That said, doing well in the movies doesn't make a character equal to Ororo. Even Ant-Man got his own movie and is getting a sequal with The Wasp. That doesn't put him on the level with Ororo either. Having a solo movie simply means that BP was given an opportunity Ororo has thus far been denied to have. To be honest, a well-done Storm movie could blow the Panther movie away...and the Panther movie was good. I enjoyed it.
    You could talk about all the reasons of why her book was cancelled and poor, but the fact is that in all her decades of existence she only got a chance at a solo a few years ago. Even at the height of her popularity Marvel never gave her a shot while Black Panther is a solo character with multiple solo's over the years. Black panther is Marvels most important (because he was the first) and most iconic black character. You want it to be Storm, I get it, but it's not. The sad truth is that she is not as popular as she was in the 90's, it's time to accept that and move on. Her not being the most popular black superhero doesn't make her any less great.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

You could talk about all the reasons of why her book was cancelled and poor, but the fact is that in all her decades of existence she only got a chance at a solo a few years ago. Even at the height of her popularity Marvel never gave her a shot while Black Panther is a solo character with multiple solo's over the years. Black panther is Marvels most important (because he was the first) and most iconic black character. You want it to be Storm, I get it, but it's not. The sad truth is that she is not as popular as she was in the 90's, it's time to accept that and move on.
    The reason she may not be as popular now as she was in the 80s/90s/2000s is because of Marvel's attempts to scale her back to prop up other characters. That said, when she is well-written, she has always resonated with a large and varied fanbase. All Marvel needs to do is start to write her well again and her popularity will once more soar to ultimate heights.

Also, Marvel not giving Storm a shot at solos over the year is no slight to her character or popularity. It just means that Marvel is stupid and foolish. I mean, she was much more popular than Panther over the decades, yet they always tried to give him solos while denying her the chance at having one. That's poor business sense on their part.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

You could talk about all the reasons of why her book was cancelled and poor, but the fact is that in all her decades of existence she only got a chance at a solo a few years ago. Even at the height of her popularity Marvel never gave her a shot while Black Panther is a solo character with multiple solo's over the years. Black panther is Marvels most important (because he was the first) and most iconic black character. You want it to be Storm, I get it, but it's not. The sad truth is that she is not as popular as she was in the 90's, it's time to accept that and move on. Her not being the most popular black superhero doesn't make her any less great.
    Yep. Sadly Storm is one of the Marvel's X-characters who fell off after the 90's. And isn't as important, or grandly written as she once were.

Storm
    Gambit
    Mystique
    Sabretooth

to name a few examples for characters who are shadows of their former selves, and not as high up in popularity. BP is probably doing better than many of the X-Men (that aren't Wolverine or any of his DNA variants).
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-18-2018 at 04:11 PM.

I don't know how the X-Men movies have done, honestly. I was just going by the comics. Black Panther has never been a big gun in the comic industry anywhere near the X-Men at their peak.
    The X-Men are a team while BP is a solo character. The X-Universe has many characters that act like cogs in their universe while BP is the center of his own universe. You can't apply the popularity of a team to one character. You can say that all of BP's books popularity is down to him and him alone, can't say the same for Storm.

BANNED

Rutog, the conversation has now shifted to whether or not Storm will be fully realized in a LATER film in an ALREADY fully realized Wakanda. Storm needs to be make her debut in this grand world of MCU WAKANDA. And if you haven't realized what's been clear for years, decades even, these movies reach FAR MORE fans than the comic books that inspire them. So, no, your claim that Black Panther has never resonated with fans the way Storm has, has been effectively disproven this weekend. It is a fact that Storm HAS NEVER RESONATED WITH FANS THE WAY THAT BLACK PANTHER HAS IMPACTED THE ZEITGEIST. There no getting around this. Not even Wolverine has resonated with fans this way on film. Please don't do it.

The reason she may not be as popular now as she was in the 80s/90s/2000s is because of Marvel's attempts to scale her back to prop up other characters. That said, when she is well-written, she has always resonated with a large and varied fanbase. All Marvel needs to do is start to write her well again and her popularity will once more soar to ultimate heights.

Also, Marvel not giving Storm a shot at solos over the year is no slight to her character or popularity. It just means that Marvel is stupid and foolish. I mean, she was much more popular than Panther over the decades, yet they always tried to give him solos while denying her the chance at having one. That's poor business sense on their part.
    The bolded is the only important part of your argument. She is not as popular as she was back then. We can talk about 'if' or 'but' til the cows come home, but the fact is that right now Storm is not as popular or iconic as Black Panther.

BANNED

The X-Men are a team while BP is a solo character. The X-Universe has many characters that act like cogs in their universe while BP is the center of his own universe. You can't apply the popularity of a team to one character. You can say that all of BP's books popularity is down to him and him alone, can't say the same for Storm.
    Please, Storm was recognized as the most popular black character in comics for decades. Say what you will, but them's the facts. I'm not trying to take away anything from T'challa. I'm just saying that a well-written Storm is #1 while T'challa is #2. That's all.

Now, if they did a Storm-solo movie starting from her days as a street urchin where she deals with Shadow King or Candra to where she travels across the Sahara and reigns as a goddess and has to battle Deluge, such a movie, I think, could blow the top off the sales charts if done well and marketed brilliantly. Heck, maybe they could get Claremont to write the scripts for the movie.
    Last edited by rutog98; 02-18-2018 at 04:22 PM.

BANNED

The bolded is the only important part of your argument. She is not as popular as she was back then. We can talk about 'if' or 'but' til the cows come home, but the fact is that right now Storm is not as popular or iconic as Black Panther.
    Sadly, this is the truth.

What you said here is not true. Black Panther's books have been cancelled many times. The issue with Storm's solo title was it was poorly planned and was nothing but a rehash of her Greatest Hits of the 80s which have been done to death. It did not begin to explore the rich potential of her character and history. She needed new foes and friends make specifically for her book as well as a different support cast from other X-Men members like Beast, Rachel, and other characters she has interacted with for decades in the X-Men team books. That said, superhero films tend to do well. Period. Tell me one Marvel film that has tanked since X-Men 1? That said, doing well in the movies doesn't make a character equal to Ororo. Even Ant-Man got his own movie and is getting a sequal with The Wasp. That doesn't put him on the level with Ororo either. Having a solo movie simply means that BP was given an opportunity Ororo has thus far been denied to have. To be honest, a well-done Storm movie could blow the Panther movie away...and the Panther movie was good. I enjoyed it.
    But aren't you as guilty of making excuses as you would say a BP fan is?

Storm is a great character who's popularity has been long tied to the X-Men. Black Panther's popularity is tied to him solely.

This isn't a pissing contest. Storm had potential and Marvel squandered it away. Marvel continued to work with BP and the results paid off.

It doesn't matter how many failed series that Black Panther has had. The point is that one side of Marvel continued to give this character a chance while another side of Marvel sat on their ass and let a great character slide back to the middle of the pack.

This isn't about favorite characters. The fact is that the Black Panther broke a lot of first before Storm did making him an iconic character in a historical and popular sense. And Storm came along to break other sterotypes and became an iconic character because of popularity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Rutog, the conversation has now shifted to whether or not Storm will be fully realized in a LATER film in an ALREADY fully realized Wakanda. Storm needs to be make her debut in this grand world of MCU WAKANDA. And if you haven't realized what's been clear for years, decades even, these movies reach FAR MORE fans than the comic books that inspire them. So, no, your claim that Black Panther has never resonated with fans the way Storm has, has been effectively disproven this weekend. It is a fact that Storm HAS NEVER RESONATED WITH FANS THE WAY THAT BLACK PANTHER HAS IMPACTED THE ZEITGEIST. There no getting around this. Not even Wolverine has resonated with fans this way on film. Please don't do it.
    I cannot agree with you on that. Storm resonated with a lot of fans via TAS. However, that was something that was shown on Saturday mornings rather than in the theaters. Many of her fans from around the world got to know her from there. We have no way of knowing that huge number.

I would enjoy seeing Storm appearing in a BP film (as long as she's not competing with another woman for his attentions) as a friend to help him deal with a threat similar to the gods that are right now plauging Wakanda in the issues where Storm guest-starred. It could be a great introduction for her own solo title much like how Wonder Woman appeared in Batman vs. Superman before her solo film. The X-Men franchise has already chosen Plain Jean over Ororo, sadly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    But aren't you as guilty of making excuses as you would say a BP fan is?

Storm is a great character who's popularity has been long tied to the X-Men. Black Panther's popularity is tied to him solely.

This isn't a pissing contest. Storm had potential and Marvel squandered it away. Marvel continued to work with BP and the results paid off.

It doesn't matter how many failed series that Black Panther has had. The point is that one side of Marvel continued to give this character a chance while another side of Marvel sat on their ass and let a great character slide back to the middle of the pack.

This isn't about favorite characters. The fact is that the Black Panther broke a lot of first before Storm did making him an iconic character in a historical and popular sense. And Storm came along to break other sterotypes and became an iconic character because of popularity.

Storm still has the potential. Marvel has just yet to explore it. That's all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I will. Storm is iconic indeed but not the most iconic black superhero ever created.

That falls to Black Panther who broke so many stereotypes about African and African-American superhero characters when he was created.

This is not a knock against Storm. She has a tremendous history and background and is a great character . But Marvel never did anything with that potential unlike what they did with BP.

They squandered Storm's fame and popularity, relying on a number of complacent fans who were satisfied with feats and appearances and did not look past the postures to see how two dimensional Marvel has made her in recent years.

Hopefully the Storm solo that everyone is anticipating will address past mis-treatment of Storm in the MU and MCU.

Nope. Storm in the 90s is how we got here. No one really cared for T Challa on that level but Storm led the most popular version of X men in history until the Fox show blew up. Over the last 6 years, Black Panther's star blew up and had been on the rise since the Priest run.

BANNED

I cannot agree with you on that. Storm resonated with a lot of fans via TAS. However, that was something that was shown on Saturday mornings rather than in the theaters. Many of her fans from around the world got to know her from there. We have no way of knowing that huge number.

I would enjoy seeing Storm appearing in a BP film (as long as she's not competing with another woman for his attentions) as a friend to help him deal with a threat similar to the gods that are right now plauging Wakanda in the issues where Storm guest-starred. It could be a great introduction for her own solo title much like how Wonder Woman appeared in Batman vs. Superman before her solo film. The X-Men franchise has already chosen Plain Jean over Ororo, sadly.
    Regardless of what we don't know, WHAT WE DO KNOW IS THAT WHEN IT COMES TO BOX OFFICE OPENINGS, BLACK PANTHER HAS ETCHED HIS NAME AMONGST THE HIGHEST OF ALL TIME. THAT'S WITH HIS DEBUT FILM. WITH ALL THE X-FILMS THAT WE'VE BEEN GIVEN, NOT ONE OF THEM CAN LAY CLAIM TO THIS ACCOMPLISHMENT. NOT EVEN WOLVERINE AND HIS SOLO FILMS. Storm is outclassed on this front. Plain and simple. No amount of spin is gonna change this fact.