Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Unhappy Generation X #87 - FINAL ISSUE SPOILERS

Generation X #87 – Final Issue
    Spoilers ahead

• Jubilee is on the lawn of the Institute staring in shock at the pyrotechnics emitting from her hands. She can remember everything about her fight with M-plate, about being tossed through the window into the sunlight, and about being on fire. But she doesn’t understand what happened after that. Eye-Boy, Nature Girl and Shogo look on in shock. Jubilee is concerned that Shogo saw her on fire, but Trevor says he didn’t. Lin explains that the Phoenix shard brought Jubes back to life and repowered her.

• Back inside the school, M-plate is still fighting the others. Quentin’s powers aren’t working at the moment – he exhausted himself restoring Jubilee. M-plate is about to pulverize him when an explosion blows a huge hole through the wall. Jubilee steps in through the wall, stating that her powers are new to her again and she’d forgotten how hard they are to control when she’s angry. Chamber, Husk and Monet are all shocked to see Jubes repowered. M-plate gets angry and hurls Quentin away to attack Jubilee. The fight takes them back outside, and Chamber and Husk follow.

• Back inside Nate explains to Benji that he baited M-plate into touching him on purpose – now that M-plate has his powers the link between Marius and Monet is weakened whenever M-plate psychometrically connects with someone else. Since Quentin’s powers are still weakened, Bling tells Benji it’s up to them to let Jubilee know.

• Outside the OG GenX team is mixing it up. Jubilee, Chamber and Husk are fighting M-plate when Roxy appears in front of her. Jubilee yells at her to get away, but M-plate grabs Roxy. However, it’s just a distraction – Benji has taken Roxy’s form. The real Bling attacks from behind, grabbing M-plate and causing a rush of Roxy’s memories to overwhelm her. She drops Benji, and he and Trevor yell to Jubilee that M-plate has Nate’s powers. Lin distracts M-plate with attacking birds, while a desperate Marius tells his panicking sister to get ahold of herself.

• Realizing what needs to be done, Jubilee tells Paige and Jono to touch M-plate. The three grab their old teammate, and a rush of memories from their days together in the Massachusetts school fill Monet’s head: Chamber feeding her apples when she was in her Penance form, Jubilee in Bastion’s clutches, Synch dying, Skin beating Paige at cards, etc. Overwhelmed, the link between Monet and Marius is broken, and Monet is separated from him. Monet sits on the lawn, dazed and confused. A desperate Marius reaches out to grab her, but a blast of Jubilee’s plasmoids knocks him back. Jubilee angrily tells him to back off and return to his own dimension, and Marius vanishes with a scream. The surviving original GenX-ers (minus Penny, sadly) are reunited.

• In the institute’s infirmary, Jubes stands looking at Monet, who’s sitting on a bed. Monet tells her to stop worrying, and that she’s fine. Jubes says she’s just concerned because she has been bonded with Marius for weeks. Monet insists that she just needs “a manicure and a blow-out”. Nearby, an exasperated Phoebe Cuckoo is running tests on a snarky Quentin as Benji looks on. Monet is amazed that QQ sacrificed his Phoenix shard to save Jubilee, saying that Jubes must be doing something right if Quire is so willing to give up his Phoenix shard for the likes of her. Jubes just shrugs it off and takes it as a compliment.

• Quire tells Phoebe that she’s wasting her time, and that his powers will return. Exasperated, she walks away. Benji says that QQ’s very weak, but Quire says that he’s seen the future, and that he’s still destined to become the Phoenix host. Jubilee comes over and thanks Quire for what he did for her. QQ asks if she’ll talk Kitty into keeping him around. She says yes, if that’s what he wants. Hearing that he wants to stay, Benji hugs Quentin.

• In the Institute’s main hall, Paige and Jono are chatting while Jono holds a sleeping Shogo. Paige comments that they look cute together. Chamber says that’s mostly Shogo. Paige says she meant him and Jubilee, and that they could be really good for each other, as long as Jono doesn’t try “any of that sad-boy self-sabotage crap” like he did with her, joking that she’ll kill him if he does.

• Jubilee shows up, and Husk goes to check on Monet to leave the two alone. Shogo wakes up and asks his mom for a hug and they have a nice mother/son moment. Jubilee asks Jono to spend the night with her, and he says yes.

• Benji and Nate are in Nate’s room, and Benji tells him that he was really scared that M-plate had killed Nate during the fight. Nate apologizes for making him afraid, and tells him that he feels safe with him. The two kiss, and a flood of memories go back and forth.

• A few days later, everyone’s in the park for Roxy’s going away party. Trevor asks Lin what deal she made with the rats to get their help fighting DOA, and Lin tells him not to worry. She takes his hand and promises to keep him safe “when they come”. Trevor’s a little freaked out.

• Nate and Benji are talking at a table, and QQ is a little jealous. Bling and Mercury arrive together and everybody shouts “Surprise”. Sprite and Glob are also there together. Others, including Kitty and Anole are also there. Roxy explains that she’s only going back home for a little while to get used to being around humans again, but she’ll be back. Jubilee, Chamber and Shogo show up together with cookies Jubes made for Roxy to eat on the plane. Roxy tries to apologize to Jubilee for being a pain in the ass, but Jubes says she never apologized for being feisty, and neither should Roxy. Jono gives her a scarf to keep her warm and remind her that she’s not alone.

• Kitty approaches Jubilee and tells her that she’s done really well. Jubes says that her class are all good kids, and tells Kitty that she doesn’t think it’s fair to deny them the chance to join the X-men. Kitty says she doesn’t want to risk the lives of teenagers who aren’t equipped to handle being X-men, and that it’s too dangerous. Jubes points out that just being a mutant alone is dangerous. She tells Kitty that she doesn’t think they should just kick them into battle and hope for the best, but that she and Kitty should consider why they both decided to stay. Jubes says that the choice to stay or leave should belong to the students. Kitty is swayed, saying that Jubes has obviously given it a lot of thought. Jubes tells her that they don’t get to choose the family they’re born into, but they DO get to choose the family they make for themselves.

The end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Sorry to bring this up. But just to eliminate element of surprise for me. Is Monet brown or white here? lol Anyway, great the M-Plate phase has ended. I am still a bit disappointed, because who knows how long it'll be before we see Monet again. Apparently her mental state & reflection on everything that happened isn't addressed before we possibly lose her in Limbo again. I also can't buy she was only bonded to Marius for "weeks." It seems ResurrXion took place a year later I would think.

Nice to get moments from the potential couples of the chapter
    Ben x Nate
    Jubes x Chamber

That semi-closure was pretty good. The entire chapter sounds good for most of the characters. It's mainly Monet who sounds a bit skipped over.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-21-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Perhaps the "weeks" is a matter of perspective and being misinformed.

Jubilee and the gang may not have been aware she'd been merged for as long as she had been, since having been on a team with Betsy, Creed, etc.

I could see that. And it is a good way to write that off. But Lord knows where GenX takes place in the timeline. I suppose the series' events could've happened shortly after Bunncanny, but I never thought it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I could see that. And it is a good way to write that off. But Lord knows where GenX takes place in the timeline. I suppose the series' events could've happened shortly after Bunncanny, but I never thought it did.
    Has to after Phoenix Resurrection since Jube's was a vamp... which screws up the QQ Phoenix stuff.... it really doesn't fit well anywhere... I feel the editors dropped the ball hard on this with some of the details

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I'd prefer it, honestly, because it would add another layer of tragedy that Monet is silently grappling with.
    Gawd I love Monet.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Someone watches Rupaul Drag Race. That last line is a direct quote from the show... Cool.

That Gen X flashback page was amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by StephenFoxMonster View Post
    Someone watches Rupaul Drag Race. That last line is a direct quote from the show... Cool.
    The idea of a 'chosen family' in the queer community predates RuPaul. That quote in itself was just him referencing some things said in Paris is Burning and How Do I Look.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenFoxMonster View Post
    They actually had Jubilee saying she watches Drag Race on some of the early issues lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PopCulturePooka View Post
    That Gen X flashback page was amazing!
    Ughhhhh I'm SO looking forward to seeing it.
    Scans anyone? I won't have my copy till tomorrow morning

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixLives View Post
    Has to after Phoenix Resurrection since Jube's was a vamp... which screws up the QQ Phoenix stuff.... it really doesn't fit well anywhere... I feel the editors dropped the ball hard on this with some of the details
    Well continuity is not Marvel's strong point. This is the last time we see Monet in Bunncanny.
    Runaways.jpg
    Blonde hair aside lol

Then ResurrXion started and just skipped us ahead, leaving these holes. Monet had to have been possessed for 1 year at the least. In that time, how did nobody find out about her? Why didn't Magneto or Psylocke follow up on her odd behavior -especially Magneto listing her as a comrade who lost their way in Blue. Why is Creed not with her? And because we skipped ahead so far, we come in on Monet being manically evil, rather than getting to see the slow descent & struggle with her actually fighting against Marius.

Monet & Creed both just got thrown someplace after RsurrXion with a good portion of development and story glossed over. And because of that, it honestly makes their stories the last 2 years useless. Covering Monet. She was merged with Marius, which had lots of potential for a dark story and character-developed resolution for Monet. But Bunn lost her & she gets thrown in GenX where Strain didn't really have the time to see to her. Now she's separated without much attention -and we don't see her emotional state or how she deals with the stuff she did as M-Plate. So if her mental / emotional state is shrugged off, and she's back to the wastelands after this, she basically had a filler story that went nowhere -no repercussions. Small note, same with Creed's inversion.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-21-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Also, can we get confirmation on Monet's skin tone for this issue, post exorcism?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Also, can we get confirmation on Monet's skin tone for this issue, post exorcism?
    Yeah. I am thinking white, since that's what it was last chapter. lol
    RCO015.jpg